G8Keeper's Sororitas Unplanned

G8Keeper

Hi all! I'll admit, I had decided I wasn't going to collect sisters. Don't get me wrong, I'd seriously considered it, even almost purchased the army box, but with two of my group of friends already slated to grab them I had decided to let my interest lie and concentrate on other projects. Fast forward a month or two to my birthday and the arrival of a friend on leave from the army for a few days, bearing a rather large birthday gift. Now, I'm no stranger to his gifting process which can be inadequately described as "generous" and I was expecting having to scold him yet again for spending too much on me when I just can't do the same in return (3 year olds tend to spend your money fater than you can make it). As he passed me the gift I noticed how heavy it was for an army box sized present, immediately intrigued by what it was. At this point I assumed it wasn't anything hobby related as sprues just don't weight that much. My son and I tore into the wrapping paper, famously over-wrapped so it took us a while, revealing in all it's glory the sisters army box.

So now I play sisters after all!

I must say, I'm such a happy bunny. Assembling and painting the first few models has been such a joy and I have constantly kept my friend updated with my progress, hopefully he appreciates it as a small token of how blown away I am.

So, I'm here to create a log of my progress. It may not be updated that often, who knows? Below is what I have so far. I present the Order of the Bloody Rose:

med_gallery_3547_14064_366550.jpg

med_gallery_3547_14064_285102.jpg

I'm not sure how these will turn out when viewed on the post, but I have used a contrast metallic red method for the armour. To the naked eye they pop quite nicely.

I'm going for urban bases I think to tie them in with my Guard army.  Just sand with the usual dark to light grey transitions. I also have the GW skulls set so I'm sue they'll be applied liberally.  I do find that urban bases are difficult to break up, as in I don't know what to add to them to make them more than just grey rubble.

Edit: Also, thank you for the kind words, I'll try and get some better pictures of my progress so far.

Edited by G8Keeper

I'm going for urban bases I think to tie them in with my Guard army.  Just sand with the usual dark to light grey transitions. I also have the GW skulls set so I'm sue they'll be applied liberally.  I do find that urban bases are difficult to break up, as in I don't know what to add to them to make them more than just grey rubble.

Edit: Also, thank you for the kind words, I'll try and get some better pictures of my progress so far.

I often have the same problem with bases. I want them to look interesting without being too crowded. It's a really fine line to skirt. I've found one strategically placed piece of junk/rubble and an optional tuft of grass per base make it interesting to look at without turning it into a complete junkyard. 

Unrelated pic, sorry, but you can see what I mean on my bases here.

http://i.imgur.com/7tDmiVem.jpg

I see what you mean. This might be the time to raid my bits box for heretical pads/heads etc.

Here's my best go with my phone camera for some close ups:

Storm Bolter

med_gallery_3547_14064_96018.jpg

Simulacrum

med_gallery_3547_14064_26594.jpg

And lastly the whole gang so far in all their glory:

med_gallery_3547_14064_258154.jpg

Basing does so much for the model :) atleast that's my opinion.

I vary between two different types of basing, and sometimes adore the base with a fallen enemy or limb.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey-what a great present! Nice paintwork too, if you want to keep it simple but varied I would increase the size of the grains/ rocks in random areas with something like model railway ballast or courser sand to create a bit more depth and variety but maintain the same colour and texture. I used to use styrofoam for larger rocks/rubble, it dry brushes well - just avoid superglue!

Another option is to occasionally paint road markings, use bits of wire or mesh as fencing.. sorry I don't have any pics just thinking out loud :) look forward to seeing them progress

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas, I'm just getting around to working on my sisters again in the next week or so, the sons of the Lion have been top of my list for a few weeks, I'll take all of those ideas on board and attempt something different. I have some cork somewhere too.