For the Greater Good of thewarriorhunter

Hello Fraters! I normally hang out in the Raven Guard area but have recently taken on a commission for some Tau. I've never painted Tau before and only played against them once but the models are cool and will be something different to paint. I wanted to start a little PLOG in this area because I'll probably have some questions as I go along with building. I'm going to be magnetizing options but I know I won't need everything.

Total project will be 9 Stealth Suits, 9 Crisis Suits, and a Ghostkeel along with their drones.

Tonight I got the Stealth Suits build up and magnets done for each squad to be able to swap out to a fusion blaster.

kZhudKGh.jpg

g224xI7h.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Scheme is going to be black/purple with yellow and blue spot colors:

tkX7d5Oh.jpg

rrRhb4Kh.jpg

I'm going to have to flex my AB skills with this so I'm excited to get painting and work on m control and ability to shade specific areas.

First question: The stealth suits only need three models magnetized, right? Reading their data sheet it says 1 can replace the Burst Cannon with a Fusion Blaster. Is there a reason to magnetize any of the other Burst Cannons?

First question: The stealth suits only need three models magnetized, right? Reading their data sheet it says 1 can replace the Burst Cannon with a Fusion Blaster. Is there a reason to magnetize any of the other Burst Cannons?

You can have one fusion blaster per 3 stealth suits. Since the customer gave you three squads of three I'd say no at first. But...

They might wanted to swap the blaster from the sgt to a line suit.

or

Guess it depends on the support system on said suits and where they want the weapon.

Ghostkeel is done and magnetized. Basing is simple (gravel/sand) and after that it's on to priming. Stealth suits are also completely magnetized but I don't have a snazzy video of them. 3mm x 1mm magnets were used on the shoulders and 5mm x 1mm for the right arm. The 5 x 1's are hard to create holes for because my pin vice won't go that large so I finally broke down and used my dremel on a model. I went slow both in RPMs and carving and it worked out very well.

Magnets are really cool. I've learned some tricks over that make using them a lot easier. This weekend I made a jig to hold the magnetized bits to make it easier to prime them. My last project took forever to prime/seal because I had to do the weapons one at a time. This should make that a little faster. It's double sided (one side all North polarity, the other all South) so I can attach all of one kind to a single side and get a good spray. Hoping to test it out this week once the wind dies down.

DX8HkGth.jpgo18Q0ixh.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been a while as I've been mostly building and trying to figure out this who new WFH thing. I was able to base coat the Ghostkheel and Stealth suits last night, along with all of their weapons. Now that that's done I can move on to applying the gradients of purples and yellows and see some real progress. Crisis suits are all built and magnetized but I still need to prime them.

eUgrCIHh.jpg

I was able to prime all of the Crisis suits and weapons last night. So many weapons. But I'm hoping to get those base coated and then I can move on to actually adding color. I was studying the riptide photos I've got and I think overall this will be a fairly straightforward paint job. I had to leave the arms off the suits so I can get the vents sprayed with blue, I'm glad I caught that before I attached them because it would have been tough to get the color in there otherwise.

Ce7EVPOh.jpg

It's what the client wants. The air bursts and missile pods are magnetized to go on the shoulders. The ion blasters are magnetized to go on the arms. Then there's a bunch of gun drones, two guardian drones, and the two special ones for the Ghostkheel. I don't play Tau so I have no idea what any of these do, but knowing him they're probably not fun to be on the receiving end of!

Understood, it's an exercise in guessing your client's tactics based on the model choices. Nothing against it, it's just interesting to me.

Had to look up the air buster stats to refresh. I think I know what he is going for.

They can hit units out of LOS, so make good for those units hiding in the magic box/buildings.

Magic box referring to the ITC terrain that is a four-sided ruin and therefor blocks all LOS.

It's basically a more mobile version of the smart missile system on the large tau units.