Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2k ITC competitive idea

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Shaylen

Shaylen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

Hi all,

New to BA, but not new to competitive.

I had a slightly odd idea for a list (although a lot of it is fairly standard) and wondered if some more experienced hands could  give me some suggestions?

List is a double battallion:

Battallion 1:

Inquisitor Coteaz - Inquisitorial mandate (+1 power, +1 cast, +1 deny), terrify (no overwatch), mental interrogation (steal command points from enemy characters) and smite.

Lemartes

Brother Corbulo

Incursors x5

Incursors x5

Incursors x5

Battallion 2:

Librarian Dreadnought (bio sarcophoagus, Hero of the chapter, artisan of war), unleash rage, wings of sanguinius

The Sanguinor

Intercessors x 5, bolt rifles, power sword

9 death company, bolters, 7 power swords, 2 power fists
9 death company, bolters, 7 power swords, 2 power fists

Sanguinary ancient - warlord - legenday fighter, power fist, angelus boltgun, standard of sacrifice

6 Sanguinary guard - angelus bolters, 3x swords, 3x fists

6 Sanguinary guard - angelus bolters, 3x swords, 3x fists

2x Drop pods

Idea is turn 1 board control with intercessors/incursors, with option to bring DC in turn 1, corbulo and coteaz go in the drop pod to enable no overwatch and +1S and exploding 6s, lemartes redeploys in range for +2" charge litany and reroll hits and charges, should guarantee the charge (or as close as BA can get).

Turn 2 sang guard, sanguinor and ancient all drop in, should be ok due to drop pods bypassing 50% on board rule.

Looking forward to some feedback

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,527 posts
  • Faction: Charnel Guard
I'd prefer forlorn fury for DC hitting turn 1 and putting something ranged into the pod
But an inquisitor in a pod+friends is definitely not a bad plan.
Though look at Hector Rex as well, he gets an extra denial, and is no slouch in combat with his storm shield and artificer armor.

I've thought about an inquisitor and a squad of sternguard (representing a Deathwatch team of course) in a pod before, but probably wait till turn 2 for my idea, for that sweet sweet AP-3.

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius! Death! DEATH!"

Shaylen

Shaylen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

My problem with forlorn fury (and again, new to BA) is if i dont go first, they get wiped out, the standard 3x thunderfires kill 9-12 depending on if they ignore cover or not, with the pods i can guarantee charging something, I'd expect it to be screens either way tbh, theyre there to wipe whatever screen and clear a path for characters/SG to do their work.

I like coteaz in the pod as he can support turn 1, Hector Rex has to come in turn 2 (I actually use him with my deathwing knights in my DA list).

Infiltrator type units will be a problem for me, but im not finding many people running them (other than my own DA list!) and just spamming intercessors...

I think it helps me in some matchups (allows >50% of the army off the board as drop pods and contents dont count) and may hurt in others, cant wait to actually playtest it when im allowed outside again!

Klazien

Klazien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts
Well for ITC you list kinda sets your opponent up for picking head hunter and marked for death as the easy picks. The DC are very soft, 6 SG are small and 6 Characters. And lastly you lack any real shooting options for someone who can screen or move better than you o could see that being a big issue. Thinking IG and eldar here.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,780 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers... currently

My opinion:

You are spending too much on your mandatory troops choices because you believe they are 'survivable'. They aren't. They're still easy enough to kill and double the cost of Scouts who have the benefit of Concealed Positions for screening off your characters.

You don't need 7 power swords in your DC unit. Hammers and Chainswords.

I am a fan of 50/50 split of Swords/Fists in Sanguinary Guard. That's the most effective for them to run without buffs.

How about Vanguard Vets in one of the pods over DC? You can do a mix of Chain Sword & Storm Shield / Double Chainsword / Thunder Hammers. Seeing as you can only turn off one Overwatch with Terrify (that is if it isn't denied) it is nice to have another durable unit to charge in too.

I've gone off both Librarian Dreads and Mephiston. They are totally reliant on getting Wings off to be effective. And you already need to ensure your Chaplain is hitting Canticles for your tactics to be viable. It's too much potential for failure. Either drop it or just put a Smash Captain in. If you drop it you can push the Sanguinary Guard up to 8 each.

.....damn I haven't posted since 2011

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
A couple of points here:

1. You’re IMO overly reliant on deep striking and drop pods. It is not especially difficult to screen drop pods out of anything useful, and if those DC don’t have jump packs then they’ll be super easily screened out of doing anything useful.
2. Death company don’t really get any benefit from power swords, sure they have more AP but the extra attacks are more valuable. Heavy infantry are not an ideal target for them unless you can focus the thunder hammers on them.
3. Assuming you’re able to bring your drop pods down in a useful place, you’re putting a huge portion of your army into a position where they will almost certainly be killed. It’s very risky as a strategy.
4. Quickening is a much better spell for a Lib Dread than Unleash Rage - he’s going to benefit way more from D3 attacks than another unit will benefit from the extra attack per model.

I think it’s a decent idea for a list, but there are too many points of failure. You’re relying on having somewhere useful for your drop pods, on having a spot close by the UWOF Lemartes, on getting Lemartes’ litany off, and then making at least a couple of long charges (the +2 and rerolls naturally help but it’s far from guaranteed).

Edited by DistractionTacMarine, 07 May 2020 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users