Thousand Sons dreadnoughts

byrd9999

A few people in this thread have mentioned that they use dreadnoughts in the Thousand Sons 40k army.

I like dreadnoughts in general, and think they would be useful for the Thousand Sons in 40k, but I'm not sure how to go about adding one to my army because they aren't listed in the Codex.

Can anyone help a beginner with some basic advice? I have tried googling it, and I can find examples of people using them for 40k in general, but I can't seem to find just the basics.

Are dreadnoughts legal for Thousand Sons in 40k?

Which dreadnoughts can we use?

Which weapons can we equip the with?

Where do you get their Points/Power Level/Stats from?

What type of unit are they (elite/heavy support etc...)

Can they be battle-forged? (i.e do they count towards a battalion etc...)

And if you use dreadnoughts for Thousand Sons, how do they work for you?

Thanks in advance!

Dreadnoughts are more efficient than Predators. They carry generally the same weaponry or similar and are not tied to the deployment zone. They don't bracket when they get hurt. If they have a melee weapon, the might care "less" about being tied up in the fight phase whereas predators or even a forgefiend will absolutely care.

I go with Lascannons and missiles. That's basically because as a whole Thousand Sons are typically lacking in the stronger anti-tank weapons.

But a lot of stuff does work with the Helbrute/Dreadnought. Personally I even fling the vanilla, melta+fist model in the army using Diviniation powers (From the Psychic Awakening book: Ritual of the Damned).

It's a cheap option your opponent has to deal with. 

Thanks for all your input, guys, this is really helpful.

Are Thousand Sons allowed to take hell forged dreadnoughts? Our codex doesn't have the stats for things like Butcher Cannons or C-beam cannons. Would you have to take it as a Chaos Legion detachment?

Based on what you've all said, what I would like is to buy the Osiron Pattern Dreadnought with the Contemptor Pattern Lascannon (this is a twin-las, right?) and play it legally in my Thousand Sons 40k detachments using the Helbrute's stats. From the FW website for the Osiron, it looks like the other hand would be a fist with a weapon concealed within it, like a flamer. I wouldn't be able to use the force blade, but I'll model it anyway because it looks cool.

Have I got this right?

Edited by byrd9999

The rules for all the forge world stuff can be found in the chaos forge world index. I am currently painting up an Osiron for my 40k guys, the blade can just be a close combat arm if i recall. Although I think GW are working on new/revised rules for all the forge world stuff, at least they were, before the current thing.

TS have the same access to dreadnoughts as all Heretic Astartes factions.

The helbrute is good for a Twin Lascannon chassis and I would agree better than the predator which is a shame.

FW offers better but more expensive ($$) Helforged dreadnoughts. The leviathan is probably one of the best units in the game but chaos doesnt enjoy the ae synergies or rules the loyalist have for running them (or should I just say broken rules?) The contemptor is an excellent choice. The c-beam cannons are good as it offers anti-tank at extreme range and can out range most things that can shoot it back. A great choice is as always this edition or the butcher cannons.

i thought the osiron was 30k only. as far as i know, the thousand sons just get a hell forged contemptor like everyone else. i am prepeared to be mistaken though because i don't own the forgeworld rules for contemptors. still, i would love a 40k osiron. mind you, a tzeench deamon prince is kind of similar to a dreadnought with two melee arms and it has psychic powers like the osiron so it is loosely similar i suppose.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the Osiron in 40k as a Helbrute? If people are using a contemptor dreadnought as a Helbrute, then this should be okay too?

I want to equip it with a twin-lascannon and a heavy-flamer inside its "helbrute" fist.

The cool little extras on the Osiron will just be decoration.

so, as far as I understand. the forge world datasheet for the hellforged contemptor (and other units) has the following:

49863338781_f347bc8c76_z.jpg

simply replace <mark of chaos> for "Tzeentch" and <legion> with "Thousand Sons" and it can be part of your army.

you don't get any of the Osirion specific rules from 30k but as a 40k contemptor (hellforged or otherwise) it's fine. or as a "counts as" hellbrute.

as I mentioned though, I think they are looking to overhaul all the rules for forgeworld units at somepoint.

i thought the osiron was 30k only. as far as i know, the thousand sons just get a hell forged contemptor like everyone else. i am prepeared to be mistaken though because i don't own the forgeworld rules for contemptors. still, i would love a 40k osiron. mind you, a tzeench deamon prince is kind of similar to a dreadnought with two melee arms and it has psychic powers like the osiron so it is loosely similar i suppose.

That is true, but the model is too pretty not to use in a Thousand Sons army, even if has to use the normal Hellforged Contemptor rules.