Battle Reports and WIP Thread: Taskforce 141; US Military Theme

Hiroitchi

Back in the day of Metal IG, there were models that I feel head of heels about. I even based my Elysians using these models, but sold it years ago due to RL. Lately I've been itching to get back into getting them. So far I managed to get roughly 60 Kasrkins back... now to make a list around them.

Edit: title, updated on to reflect on growing collection.

Edited by Hiroitchi
Title update.

The Kasrkin are great models, unfortunately it's a bit harder to use them now unless you use them as a Stormie force. I wanted to repurpose mine as carapace Vets but that's not an option now :sad.: If you wanted to keep them Guard they could work as Infantry Squads, though this would mean you might be a little low if you wanted to play larger point games as they don't last long.

Luckily Stormies are better with the Guard Psychic Awakening book as it gives them Regimental traits as well as relics etc so they're more viable. Still lacking in options sadly so they're often taken alongside a Guard army to give some durability and heavier fire power. Do you have any other Guard models that may decide what you'd do? While Stormies are cool it is hard mode for Guard :tongue.:

The Kasrkin are great models, unfortunately it's a bit harder to use them now unless you use them as a Stormie force. I wanted to repurpose mine as carapace Vets but that's not an option now :sad.: If you wanted to keep them Guard they could work as Infantry Squads, though this would mean you might be a little low if you wanted to play larger point games as they don't last long.

Luckily Stormies are better with the Guard Psychic Awakening book as it gives them Regimental traits as well as relics etc so they're more viable. Still lacking in options sadly so they're often taken alongside a Guard army to give some durability and heavier fire power. Do you have any other Guard models that may decide what you'd do? While Stormies are cool it is hard mode for Guard :tongue.:

Thank you for your response. I have The female commissar model and I love valkyries because of how I used to have my IG elysians back in the day. There is armor because I like tanks and inspired by Tank companies. I also have Greyfax and all four assassins... so just depends. Suggestions are welcome as I am normally a SM player.

Commissars are part of the Scions force, so you can definitely do that (without the new stuff however) along with some Valkyries. If you have a decent amount of tanks you could run some Spearhead Detachments (1 HQ, 3 Heavy Support minimum) to get some tanks in the field plus it'd make for a nice theme of Stormtroopers swooping in to bail out some armour :)

It might depend on how competitive you want to be? If you want to make stronger lists then taking a Guard main Detachment is probably best but you could easily supplement the above plan by adding some Guardsmen to round the tanks out into a Battalion.

Great tips and recommendations guys. Seeing as I have an overabundance of Kasrkin Grenade launchers and flamers, I’m just trying to see if the grenade launchers are worth the points to replace Hotshot lasguns? Thoughts? I know flamers are always a great addition.

Grenade Launchers are cheap and cheerful, good for "line squads". The fancy and expensive stuff can drop in to troubleshoot but for the squads holding ground/deploying it offers a little extra range (Regiment depending) and flexibility as well as keeping costs down. Some frags can help with horde control (something Stormies are not great at being a more elite army) and kraks can do some respectable work against light armour and even heavier targets in a pinch. Kraks are also nice for sending into multi-wound infantry :thumbsup:

Overall not amazing but decent for the price and often underestimated. For a supplement/allied Stormies force they probably won't get a look in, but for a pure Stormtrooper list they have use :smile.:

Grenade Launchers are cheap and cheerful, good for "line squads". The fancy and expensive stuff can drop in to troubleshoot but for the squads holding ground/deploying it offers a little extra range (Regiment depending) and flexibility as well as keeping costs down. Some frags can help with horde control (something Stormies are not great at being a more elite army) and kraks can do some respectable work against light armour and even heavier targets in a pinch. Kraks are also nice for sending into multi-wound infantry :thumbsup:

Overall not amazing but decent for the price and often underestimated. For a supplement/allied Stormies force they probably won't get a look in, but for a pure Stormtrooper list they have use :smile.:

Noted, will definitely keep my 4x Kasrkin Grenade Launchers then..

Here is what I came upo with and I what I plan to do. Aside from 45x Metal Kasrkin Models, 1 Leman Russ, and 3x Taurox Primes... its pretty flexible. I haven't built the Taurox Primes yet. I'll start posting my build progress.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363678-2k-kasrkin-army-list-wip/?p=5516879

As promised here are the Kasrkins I'm putting together.. enjoy. Dont worry I'm going to leave atleast one 10x man squad alone.

gallery_61925_16336_164944.jpg

The day I got them 2nd hand. Time to strip them. I chose to use Automotive degreaser called Super Clean.

gallery_61925_16336_87314.jpg

Then I placed the minis in a empty Woodland Scenics bottle, filled it with super clean over night. As you can see the paint is starting to come out and its only been minutes in the liquid.

gallery_61925_16336_24015.jpg

After an overnight bath, I shook the bottle and it really help that they were metal. I dont think I'd recommend the same shake and bake procedure with plastics. I did find out that one of the Kasrkin sergeants had a Cadian head already converted, so I think its safe. Just dont quote me on it and attempt at your own risk.

gallery_61925_16336_20225.jpg

So no toothbrush needed so far. I then emptied the bottle of the Superclean stuff and then refilled the bottle with warm water mixed with dishwasher soap. Gave it another shake and emptied it out.

gallery_61925_16336_81353.jpg

And here are the results, no brushing and just letting it air dry.

gallery_61925_16336_169806.jpg

So since one Sergeant has been converted and cut up I thought heck why not continue the trend and add more character. However like I said I'm leaving one alone atleast.

gallery_61925_16336_57775.jpg

This that hurt with the sergeants I made 2 HSVGs since Kasrkins are count as scions these days.

gallery_61925_16336_2278.jpg

So then I made two more increasing my HSVGs to 4....

There you have it I have been pretty busy and now just waiting for my Plasma gunners and 2x more sergeants to come in the mail. Oh btw I'll post what the boys look with their new secret weapon miniatures bases. Enjoy!

So I'm getting confused about HQ's are they on 25mm or are they on 32mm bases? I'm getting confliicting answers... Commisar Severina is on 32mm but most guardsmen are on 25mm

Lucky for some indeed! Looking forward to seeing him painted up :thumbsup:

Thank man. I'm going to wait a few till I get majority if my army painted and all done up. What arrived today are the NVGs U got from Kromlech. They were awesome to deal with and hop you guys enjoy,

gallery_61925_16336_113172.jpg

this is what 60 NVG bits look like... pretty stoked...

gallery_61925_16336_92795.jpg

Kasrkin (Tempesus Scions) looks like meat is back on the menu bois.

So I finally got the parts from Victora Miniatures and well here it is my MRAP inspired Taurox Primes and my Kasrin Tempestor Primes Kitbash accompanied by a kitbash Kasrkin Lord Commisar. Reults have been pretty good.

gallery_61925_16336_60058.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_110045.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_173917.jpg

So I have been busy the past couple of days, I thought I'd share my progress so far. My three Taurox Primes are nearly built, I have them primed and base colored. Oh and those tanks I mention in the beginin well.. here they are built up, primed, and base colored. 15 of my Karkins have been primed and now waiting to be dolled up. I hope you guys enjoy and C&C is always welcome.

gallery_61925_16336_96400.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_51329.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_115720.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_60590.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_186935.jpg

gallery_61925_16336_50142.jpg

Doing my test camo and how it would look with the dusty desert conditions of well my deployment back in 2006. lol I also liked how the choclate chip DCU pattern looked with some woodland pattern of the mid nineties of the United States military. Thoughts? gallery_61925_16336_46214.jpg

Right Side view

gallery_61925_16336_53541.jpg

Left Side View

gallery_61925_16336_153455.jpg

Rear view

gallery_61925_16336_206318.jpg

Smile wait for Flash

I'm so glad clicked on this thread.

Kasrkin are some of the coolest models released by GW in my mind. I'd adore a plastic kit but doubt we'll ever see one so it's awesome to see how people are making theirs different.

I'm also not a fan of the GW Taurox but your conversions make them look pretty sweet (and I prefer the paint job to GW's).

Edited by Hfran Morkai