WHC - Primarch Death Match

ValourousHeart

Check out the WHC page today and tomorrow for their Primarch Death Match.

Part 1 - Loyalist Bracket

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/27/primarch-death-match-part-1-loyalists/

I won't spoil it for you.

Edited by ValourousHeart

And that is how it's supposed to be! For the Lion! Oh, I'm going to have so much fun teasing the SW player at my local game store when we have our Dark Angel vs Space wolf games. Even if he wins, I can just whip out that article and go, bam!

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

I was joking with my friends that GW could troll us by putting the Lion in the Traitor bracket as well.

They didn't include Khan in the bracket most likely because they haven't released images of his model yet, and this isn't the time they plan to do that.

I'm curious who on the Traitor side they are going to make sit out.

I'm thinking Alpharius (1st) will be the one they leave out, maybe Lorgar (2nd).

Although they might have Horus sit out of the traitor bracket.

Then after the 2 bracket winners face off against each other, have Horus face off against that winner.

I was joking with my friends that GW could troll us by putting the Lion in the Traitor bracket as well.

They didn't include Khan in the bracket most likely because they haven't released images of his model yet, and this isn't the time they plan to do that.

I'm thinking Alpharius (1st) will be the one they leave out, maybe Lorgar (2nd).

Then after the 2 bracket winners face off against each other, have Horus face off against that winner.

My money is on the latter option. Horus is just a brutal opponent in these fights so it would not really be all that interesting to see him just wipe the floor with everyone with the potential exception of the two psykers. I do wonder how they plan to play the psychically powered primarchs?

A plot twist would be to have whoever beats everyone and emerges as the top dog in primarch deathmatch to then take on Constantin Valdor as a surprise opponent.

My money is on the latter option. Horus is just a brutal opponent in these fights so it would not really be all that interesting to see him just wipe the floor with everyone with the potential exception of the two psykers. I do wonder how they plan to play the psychically powered primarchs?

A plot twist would be to have whoever beats everyone and emerges as the top dog in primarch deathmatch to then take on Constantin Valdor as a surprise opponent.

There's one issue:

Valdor is a terrible unit. Like, 100%, he's laughably bad for a named character. Maybe he's a good beatstick, but most Primarchs would still mop the floor with him.

Part 2 is up now

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/28/part-2-traitors/

Different format, this time a battle royale cage match with all 9 primarchs.

My Review:

Disappointing and very predictable. They say no rules, no one on one duals, and then proceed to have everyone dual each other one on one with only a couple very anticlimactic exceptions.

Conclusion:

Check back tomorrow for The Warmaster vs The Lion

Part 3 is up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/29/part-3-grand-finale/

Well, we all knew it all along, but now there's objective proof the Emperor is an idiot and picked the wrong Warmaster. :smile.:

Also...

Gooooo Lion! WOot.
Edited by FerociousBeast

My review

I think it is clear that GW wanted the Lion to win.  Horus had a clear advantage with his mace and reducing an opponent to I1.  This final battle report reads like the team doing this only came to that realization turn 4 when they chose to give Horus's advantage away.  I am glad to see that the Lion can stand up for himself, and it is good to know that his biggest vulnerability is to anything that makes him attack last.

Now my only question is when can I buy him?  Oh and how to switch up his 30k rules for use in 40k?  I guess I need to track down Gulliman's 30k rules and compare them to his 40k rules, so I can get a base line.

My review

Now my only question is when can I buy him?  Oh and how to switch up his 30k rules for use in 40k?  I guess I need to track down Gulliman's 30k rules and compare them to his 40k rules, so I can get a base line.

Stat-wise: 40k version has three more wounds and two more attacks. Hand of Dominion isn't the 8th edition of equivalent of Unwieldy and Concussion isn't a thing anymore; however, it does 4 damage which Thunder Hammer +1 so that's a place to start when thinking about damage. It's shooting compared to The Arbitrator (Heresy G's gun) is better. It's one AP "less" (equivalent of AP4 compared to Arb's AP3), but otherwise same strength, longer range, more shots, and D2 (which seems to be normal for a relic bolt weapon).

His sword is completely different so I can't really compare them.

Armour of Fate is a 3+ Invul and get up once when you die compared to the Armour of Reason which was a 4+ invul and re-roll first failed invul per game phase.

Largest difference is the special rules. 30k has a lot more special rules and rule situations that just don't exist and don't translate well to the play style of 8th edition. G's specific rules though were based on buffing his army so it kind of make senses that they just gave him a better version of Chapter Master. The only rules we have for the Lion are ones that impact him. Maybe they'd be more likely to survive adaptation?

Edited by jaxom

The Lion really only needs one modification to make the transition to 40k:

THE LION’S REPOSE

Do not set the Lion up with the rest of the army at the beginning of the game. He begins the game asleep in the bowels of the Rock.

At the beginning of each turn, roll a D6. On a 3+, the Lion keeps sleeping. On a 1, he murmurs something about traitors and fiery death, then rolls over and continues his slumber. On a 2, he suddenly sits up in bed and cries out “Loyalty is its own reward!” then collapses from the exertion and resumes sleeping.

The Lion really only needs one modification to make the transition to 40k:

THE LION’S REPOSE

Do not set the Lion up with the rest of the army at the beginning of the game. He begins the game asleep in the bowels of the Rock.

At the beginning of each turn, roll a D6. On a 3+, the Lion keeps sleeping. On a 1, he murmurs something about traitors and fiery death, then rolls over and continues his slumber. On a 2, he suddenly sits up in bed and cries out “Loyalty is its own reward!” then collapses from the exertion and resumes sleeping.

I would add him to my army every. single. time.