List Making Confessions

Prot

Been vaguely following this thread as I mess with my own lists... been working on a DW brigade list, I know crazy.... but I think it might have some hope, still tweaking but I think it has some promise. Its looking a lot closer to traditional marine lists, than our old DW lists though, but as I have said in other threads, I think its very possible that, assuming you are forgoing allies, it could be the best way to go. I still think running them as allies to non marines ignoring the doctrines and just getting the strategems will be the best way to go as it was before, but this might at least be close.

The heavy choices is what makes me avoid it lol... but rapier weapons...like the thunderfire or hvy bolters...can get 3 for around 250 pts.

Plus to work in some ranged AT firepower is hard

I love that Mobius faces, and states Thousand Sons are something he's able to handle. (I would think that a tall order to be fair. I know my own Thousand Sons tend to gobble up elite marine armies just by the nature of -2 AP and Mortal Wounds!)

One thing though Mobius.... are you sure you want to forgo those Doctrines? I just keep thinking of all the value add going on with the Stormbolters alone could be a huge payoff.  I foresee staying in Tactical for most of the games whenever possible.

It does seem no one likes Hellblasters anymore?

Do you guys think those kinds of match ups are going to force us to ally? Force us to take in a Knight house or something?               

Ya the -2 is pretty brutal and its odd because the Vets are both the pro and con against them. I need those 3+ invuls to survive the hits, but the mortal wounds tear through them.

I'm on the fence with doctrines. I can see them having great potential, especially loading up on bolters and just trying to capitalize on doctrine stratagems for the +1 to wound. It kinda leads into your thought... would allies do better then having doctrine? I know for a fact that my DW/Knight (2 Warglaives and Gallant... 2+/4++) list has done well, and it's going to do better now that I have extra stratagems to use with them.

I think I could take my same list above, remove the assassin for another stalker bolter unit and still be ok ( apothecary and convert the contemptor to a relic) - the stalker bolters will be disgusting on the first turn; missile launchers and las cannons having better AP for a turn... And like you said, turn 2 and 3 will just be me hellfiring everything for the extra AP. Or Kraken round some vehicles because even though its a low wound chance, that's gonna be a tough save if it does go through. Frag cannons already speak for themselves.

I also have 10 Intercessors to build. I'm not sure if I should go from 5 Stalkers, to 10? Or 5 Autobolters to 10? What do you guys think mixes best with Aggressors? (Also my squads typically have one Inceptor for the escape mechanism.)

5 auto bolt rifles and 1 aggressor has always been enough for me. Max dakka at 24" (add kraken to liking), and they keep up with my bikers in terms of fire support - advance and shoot. If they get caught in melee then that means I wasnt targeting properly with my further supporting stalker intercessors. I've even found that moving and shooting stalker bolt rifles isn't to painful when it needs to be done. I've used aggressors in the stalker bolt rifle squad before and found it to be wasteful. 30 points and 45 for the inceptors.... man thats 2 more intercessor bodies. Could be useful if you run goon squads primarily against alpha legion possessed bombs and warp crystal shenanigans.

I would say if you have (2) 5-man auto units, (1) 5-man bolt rifle unit and (1-2) 5-man stalker units, you're sitting pretty good. Add an aggressor to each auto unit as you see fit. Bring the hellblaster into the rapid fire bolt rifle unit if you want a deep striking menace, and let the stalker units do work from the back.

Been vaguely following this thread as I mess with my own lists... been working on a DW brigade list, I know crazy.... but I think it might have some hope, still tweaking but I think it has some promise. Its looking a lot closer to traditional marine lists, than our old DW lists though, but as I have said in other threads, I think its very possible that, assuming you are forgoing allies, it could be the best way to go. I still think running them as allies to non marines ignoring the doctrines and just getting the strategems will be the best way to go as it was before, but this might at least be close.

The heavy choices is what makes me avoid it lol... but rapier weapons...like the thunderfire or hvy bolters...can get 3 for around 250 pts.

I'll go down the crazy rabbit hole.... but you could see some pros to bringing back a few razorbacks as additional support. A twin assault cannon razorback you can use "big guns" on, while bring up a rhino and a couple bikers? A landraider as well since we can at least get shots off before it popped? There's potential. It's not game winning or unoriginal, but there's potential. It'll be the closest thing we can run to a mechanized list like the old 7th and early index days. And my whole point here would be extra AP on the heavy guns while still trying to be movement-flexible.

So far I am happy with the AT i got, 16 las cannons at the moment, actually considering dropping 2 to flesh out a kill team a bit, but unsure if the trade off is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really good thread Prot, well done for starting it!

It's just what I was looking for when looking at coming back to my Deathwatch - definitely want to expand on using Primaris, making them the core of the force and retiring most of the veterans, perhaps just keeping a squad in a blackstar as an assault hammer to strike upon a Fortis intercessor/aggressor anvil?

Also have stalker bolt rifle intercessors usurped stalker pattern boltgun vets?

Thanks all

Ash