Is Shadowspear a good start for Night Lords army?

Bulwyf

I had a large 30k and some old 40k Night Lord army years back that I sadly made a mistake in selling.

I am trying to rebuild the army. I have Sevatar still which I can use as a chaos lord in a pinch.  I don't have much else left.

Is the Shadowspear a good start? I know fluff wise you'd want to take an almost all Raptor list but I'd rather have a more balanced list. I know the Faith and fury added some tools to help Warp Talons actually do something for once so I might be interested in them or Raptors but only as part of a list.

I haven't messed around with the Shadowspear models and while nothing there really screams "This is Night Lords!" to me I am curious what others think. What would you guys suggest to go for? I don't care about it being ITC min max but I'd like it to have some teeth on the table.

Appreciate any help! Ave Dominus Nox!

Some might suggest the heavy daemon presence in that army unsuited for the Night Lords but I find that the Legions are so vast that there's space for so much beyond the usual depictions of them. 

Go for it! They could be Night Lords who do worship the Chaos Gods, or maybe the Possessed were captured enemies used as hosts for entities beyond mortal comprehension. 

I was thinking if I got the shadowspear box I could so something like this. I have enough shooting to spread out enemy fire on multiple targets and the warp talons/raptors in reserves can grab objectives or tie up vehicles or gun lines. The warlord can go nuts with a potential of  9 attacks at strength 10 for flat 3 wounds each hit. There's a low number of troops and no Rhino to caddy them as a negative. Comments appreciated. 

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [22 PL, 353pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Legion: Night Lords

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord with Jump Pack [6 PL, 133pts]: 4. Killing Fury, Chainsword, Intoxicating Elixir, Mark of Slaanesh, Thunder hammer, Warlord

Exalted Champion [5 PL, 70pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: No Chaos Mark
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 9x Autogun
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Space Marines [4 PL, 55pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 4x Marine w/ Boltgun: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Chaos Space Marines [4 PL, 55pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 4x Marine w/ Boltgun: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [23 PL, 358pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +

Sorcerer [6 PL, 88pts]: Bolt pistol, Death Hex, Force sword, No Chaos Mark, Prescience

+ Fast Attack +

Raptors [5 PL, 80pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 4x Raptor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Raptor Champion: Bolt pistol, Power axe

Warp Talons [6 PL, 95pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 4x Warp Talon: 4x Lightning Claw (pair)
. Warp Talon Champion: Lightning Claw (pair)

Warp Talons [6 PL, 95pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 4x Warp Talon: 4x Lightning Claw (pair)
. Warp Talon Champion: Lightning Claw (pair)

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [31 PL, -1CP, 535pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ Stratagems +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 74pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, No Chaos Mark

+ Elites +

Helbrute [6 PL, 125pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Power scourge, Twin lascannon

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 168pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, 2x Twin lascannon

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 168pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, 2x Twin lascannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [44 PL, 754pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +

Lord Discordant on Helstalker [9 PL, 160pts]: Autocannon, Mark of Slaanesh, Scourging Chains
. Helstalker: Techno-virus injector

+ Heavy Support +

Hellforged Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 289pts]: 2x Butcher cannon array, 2x Hellflamer, Mark of Slaanesh

Obliterators [12 PL, 190pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 2x Obliterator: 2x Crushing fists, 2x Fleshmetal guns

Venomcrawler [7 PL, 115pts]: Mark of Slaanesh

++ Total: [120 PL, -1CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Shadowspear is a great start, especially if you can flog the Primaris for £50...or just buy the start collecting CSM which is easier. 1/2 squads of CSM, a HQ, solid heavy support and a venomcrawler are a good start or addition to any army. 

I know fluff wise you'd want to take an almost all Raptor list 

Nooooo! NL are so much more than that. Raptors benefit from their traits, yes, but NL will use any and all resources of the traitor legions. Pick the models you like and clad them in mindnight.

I know fluff wise you'd want to take an almost all Raptor list 

Nooooo! NL are so much more than that. Raptors benefit from their traits, yes, but NL will use any and all resources of the traitor legions. Pick the models you like and clad them in mindnight.

Lucoryphus of the Bleeding Eyes barely identifies as a Night Lord. Raptors usually have their origins subsumed in preference of their Raptor Cult. 

NL style in the lore is any horrific manner to wage war. So things like the scorpius, dreads, flamers etc all fit. So your AT could be melee via dreads, PF's, CF's, thunder hammers, the shooting anti infantry oriented to emphasize  NL as bullies- whats a worse way to go- via some plasma guns or being set on fire then caught in a storm of heavy bolter fire? 

To take advantage of Raptor Strike, a bigger unit of Warp Talons may be better. Rest of the list looks interesting. 

Thanks. I was thinking about possibly dropping one of the formations to get more into the WT squad. I'd like to get more CSM on the table but I know my meta. I need guns to deal with it. 

Sharing some advise I got and wondering what you brothers thought.

He suggested Chaos Bikers and 3 Heldrakes and no Levi at all. Swarm the enemy with debuffs and the vox scream with Heldrakes with a Lord Disco possibly thrown in.

I haven't seen anyone use bikers outside of HH games. Are they viable? I thought Heldrakes were almost worthless in 8th frankly.

Back in February there was an excellent thread about the merits and disadvantages of Chaos Bikers. Here is the link:

Bikers - x HERETIC ASTARTES x - The Bolter and Chainsword

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361754-bikers/?do=findComment&comment=5509272

P.S. I personally love Chaos Bikers. :)

Back in February there was an excellent thread about the merits and disadvantages of Chaos Bikers. Here is the link:

Bikers - x HERETIC ASTARTES x - The Bolter and Chainsword

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361754-bikers/?do=findComment&comment=5509272

P.S. I personally love Chaos Bikers. :smile.:

I will definitely give them a turn.

Have you had any experience with Heldrakes? I have one done up as a Nurgle drake that I used early in 8th for Death Guard but stopped using it a looong time ago because it just wasn't worth the points. The suggestion to have 3 Heldrakes in a NL army just blew me away.

How do you run Raptors? I'm thinking a 10 man unit 7 with chainsword/bp and 2 with plasma and champ with combi plasma. If I wanted pure tie up then I would go with 10 WT. This gives me a little bit of shooting to go with some melee to steal backfield objectives or harass a damaged vehicle/character.

I either run:

-Small 5-man shooty Raptor Squads with triple melta or triple plasma

-Harassment 8-to 10-man harassment squads with triple melta or triple plasma and a fist (although I'm going to try a Thunder Hammer on the champion at some point)

I always deepstrike the suicide squads and I often deepstrike the harassment squads. Although sometimes I start my harassment squads on the table and try for a Turn 1 Warptime.

Both are fun, fluffy units that work well in casual games.

I've been thinking of running them with plasma pistols instead of plasma guns, to cut down the costs. I'd be putting three squads in along with a Host Raptorrial lord. I feel the guns would do better damage but might be too expensive, will need to think about it more.

Also, as Night Lords, I think Raptors work really nice to get Vox Scream off. I haven't tested this out in game, but Vox Scream is quite a good ability. 

I tend to run mine (when I feel like wasting the points) on squads of 5 with two plasma pistol and chainsword raptors with the sergeant taking dual plasma pistols. I find they tend to only live to shoot once so the plasma guns feel like a bit of a waste of points.