Macharius Battle Tank

Cadmus Tyro

Hi all,

I’ve been slowly building a blackshields list using Endryd Haar as the warlord. The idea behind the list is to do something different, but still have a viable table top performance.

I’ve been looking at LoW options, and I’ve somewhat fallen in love with the idea of having a standard macharius in a low points game.

For 325 points you get:

6 HP super heavy,

7” Str8 Ap3 long range blast, primary weapon

AV 14/13/12

And a few heavy stubber shots albeit at BS3

I mean, yes it’s Ap3, but it’s a 7” blast on a resilient platform. I know a typhon is the efficient option (although costs around 100points more). Is it too much of a point sink? Or does it have a place?

In terms of upgrades, I’m tempted to keep it bare to keep the cost low! Although heavy Bolters look much cooler on the sponsons. I don’t think it would benefit too much from marine crew.

Your thoughts Ladies and gentlemen, would be appreciated.

Cadmus

You mean the Lupercal heavy tank? ;) 

The Vanquisher variant is a lot better in the 7th ed rules, from memory its barely more points and has a MUCH better main armament, marine crew is handy tbh but every point of upgrade can count in low point games. Same advice for Sponsons tbh :) 

The Typhon is super great but wildly common because of it, tbh go for the tank you like more, rules are temporary, expensive tanks are (potentially) forever :) 

You mean the Lupercal heavy tank? ;) 

The Vanquisher variant is a lot better in the 7th ed rules, from memory its barely more points and has a MUCH better main armament, marine crew is handy tbh but every point of upgrade can count in low point games. Same advice for Sponsons tbh :) 

The Typhon is super great but wildly common because of it, tbh go for the tank you like more, rules are temporary, expensive tanks are (potentially) forever :)

Thanks Noserenda, I though it was originally named a Vordayan pattern battle tank, but was renamed the Lupercal heavy tank after the early discovery of the primarch? ;)

I think you’re right about going with rule of cool, I suppose I was interested in the general opinion of the rules. I like all the patterns, but my fear is the more points you sink into this tank the more of a liability it becomes. The vanquisher is essentially the same tank but with the ability to fire an armour piercing round. My issue with it is it’s heavy 1, and only AP2. So whilst with armour bane it will penetrate armour easily, any cover or shielding save will have a dramatic impact on its performance. Also AP2 means an explodes result is unlikely. I just don’t think it’s worth 50 points more for that, plus you would need to upgrade the crew as well.

I like the vulkan, but again, an additional 80pts for a similar damage output to the main battle tank, does not seem viable.

The beauty of the standard version is it’s relatively low cost.

Any other thoughts?

Cadmus

Your meta may vary but being able to reliably penetrate AV14 at range was always a godsend in our groups while blasting some chaff was common as muck, AP 2 isnt a guaranteed kill but its a shot and often an immobilised or lucky weapon destroyed can be just as useful, similarly the vulcan does nothing that cant be done better/cheaper elsewhere