Ulrik's Raven Guard: The StormCrows; de Villta Veiðin

Ulrik_Ironfist

I swear you're just reading through my thread and copying everything ;)

Sounds good so far. I think world building is a lot of fun, and don't be afraid to retcon something if you learn something new or your views change.

I swear when I went to sleep these were the Storm Ravens :huh.:

They were, and then I changed it. Because GW had already taken that name for a chapter they then did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH! Except name a character and I wanted to do something that GW hadn't futzed with. Also, it made no sense, with the theme I had in mind.

I swear you're just reading through my thread and copying everything :wink:

I'm not, I swear on me mum.

Sounds good so far. I think world building is a lot of fun, and don't be afraid to retcon something if you learn something new or your views change.

I've done the world building thing a bunch of times for my IG army, and it got really tedious, because 40k lore is kind of rigid, and you can't exactly build a world that combines elements. There are no feral worlds which also have hive like cities. I mean, If I can come up with a good way to do it, I'll do some world building for a primary recruiting planet.

I had it in my mind that The First company would have had a monopoly on the chapter's power armor, and the scout company would have been the only consistently full strength company in the chapter, with 10 millennia of warfare and maintenance attrition, much of their power armor would have been worn out or lost. Also due to their very close ties to the Raven Guard Chapter and the gene seed mutation they share, recruitment is difficult.

Suiting their reputation as ghostly otherworldy warriors, I thought that it would be cool to fluff them as not only individually capable warriors, but also excellent soldiers. Entire task groups acting individually but in concert with other units, as if guided by a singular mind and will. I would have this be owed, partially, to their practice of recruiting remanant soldiers from shattered Imperial Guard regiments. There might even be a few former Krieg Grenadiers and Cadian Kasrkin among their ranks. The already formidable aspirant recruits from the Guard as well as recruits from their normal worlds would enhance their fighting capability, as the Kriegers and Cadians are not the capable scouts and hunters that Feral Worlders are, but the Feral Worlders are not the consummate professional soldiers that the Guardsmen are. The other part would be extensive close order drill, and cultural indoctrination. Part of the Chapter's recruitment is that the aspirant is now dead, to all who knew them, and their new life as part of the Vilda Jakten, begins there. The worlds of their sector having strong Nordic and Scandinavian roots and traditions, instills them with the primal need to rely on their brother warriors. The day before battle is filled with preparations, in many cases, the Astartes will think of the families they had left behind so long ago, hours of quiet contemplation and preparation for battle. The final hours of the eve before battle are a celebration, for it may be their last day. The morning of battle is for final equipment checks, scouts will paint their faces, and Battleline Marines will apply earthen colored pigments to their armor, to break up their outline. The First Company detachments will apply warpaints and sigils to their helmets to intimidate their enemies. The glowing blue lenses of their helmets serve to give them an ethereal sense of dread...

I wanted to make them sufficiently intimidating. I'm not entirely sure who I want their primary lore adversary to be, obviously chaos is always a solid choice, as are tyranids. I think that scourging genestealer cults and chaos cults and crushing tau, would be really cool fluff for a chapter that specializes in stealth and infiltration, and bloody rip and tear.

I swear you're just reading through my thread and copying everything :wink:

I know I already responded to this, but I'd like to expand. We were both drawn to Raven Guard, so naturally there are going to be a lot of similarities. However, In my fluff, I'm making my group a second founding chapter. Their link to the XIX legion is more than just genetic, their founding members were pulled directly from the Legion.

I've even got a warcry for them now: Fyrir veiðimanninn! (For the Hunt!). Though it's never heard in battle, the chapter fights in eerie silence, it's a pre-battle chant.

Through Corax himself, The Red Ravens, as they were best known then, knew the Emperor and his Imperial Truth. Through their relatively large Librarius, they kept the history alive, and with the rise of the Ecclesiarchy, secret. Among the Librarians are the Skalds; Eloquent speakers, and masterful storytellers, who pass on the hidden history of the Imperium to all members of the chapter.

The Red Ravens revere the Emperor, as a Legendary Warrior and scholar, and as their creator. They Revere the Loyal Primarchs and revile the traitors. They are friend to humanity, and are mistrustful of the Ecclesiarchy and the Inquisition. The Red Ravens despise what the Imperium has become, and lament what it could have been. They fight for the Imperium because of the people it protects. Upon News of Guilliman's return, the Second Company dispatched themselves to Ultramar. The Second Company had long standing ties with the Ultramarines, having served in many campaigns with them over 10 millennia. This long standing relationship, had seen them given the name "Varangian Guard". The First Primaris Marines to serve the Red Ravens were inducted into the Second Company. Indeed, many would attempt the Rubucon Primaris themselves, in order that the old would join the new. For the first time in 10 millennia, the Second Company was at full battle strength. Indeed, the other battle companies would follow this example, and embrace the Rubicon Primaris as the way forward. The Battle Companies would be given priority to reinforcement. The Reserve Companies remain understrength, save the 10th, even with the induction of new Primaris marines. The First Company has not elected to undergo the procedure, owing much to their stubborn nature.

The First Company is the gathering place for the Berserkir, those few warriors who revel in carnage and bloodshed, letting their good sense fall by the wayside. This means that Each company maintains a cadre of veterans who serve in much the same capacity as the First company of most chapters.

I did some more work on my Guys. I now have:

6x Eliminators

6x Suppressors

2x Phobos LT's

20x Infiltrators (I'm giving serious consideration to running them as Incursors)

10x Bolter/HB scouts

5x Sniper Scouts

10x CC Scouts (all BP/CB)

1x Kayvaan Shrike (OG metal)

I'm waiting on my two Invictors and my Primaris Shrike to Arrive, as well as waiting to procure stuff from my friend (6x Aggressors, 20x Intercessors, Phobos Lib, 5x Hellblasters, Codex and supplement).

I still have about 16 or so Assault marines to finish converting. They need to have some extraneous wolfy bits removed and they need to be armed, so that They can be ready for priming and painting.

I intend for scouts to play a huge part in how my army works. I'm thinking that I like incursors better lore wise, as they ignore cover and BS modifiers and also fight really well in melee (generating extra hits on nat 6's, with 2/3 attacks each. +1 charged or charging, that's up to 31 attacks base not counting extras, from a troops choice!), add to that they get some charge protection from the haywire mine. The CC scouts are pretty likely to wither, unless I can get them in a good position to counter charge from cover, but the same potential 31 attacks is just nuts. 

I thought these guys deserved some special recognition. The friend that I got my Intercessors, Aggressors, Hellblasters, and Phobos Librarian from painted these, and I think he did an amazing job and I wanted to share:

IMG 0750

IMG 0749

I wanted these to be preserved in some form since they don't match the color scheme I have in mind, I'm going to have to strip them. and that makes me very sad, because he did a truly fantastic job, far better than I have ever done.

Those are nice. If there was a 5th I’d say leave them but count them as Primaris veterans upgrade

Given how nicely those are painted, it almost makes me want to do the whole army that way. But then I’ll have put in all this work on fluff for nothing.

Maybe I’ll retcon some stuff (like helmet color for sgts) and do some minor touch up so that it fits my scheme and then I won’t need to totally strip them.

However, In my fluff, I'm making my group a second founding chapter. Their link to the XIX legion is more than just genetic, their founding members were pulled directly from the Legion.

Suggestion for a wrinkle in their history:

Instead of making them a Second Founding Chapter, make them a Chapter-sized contingent of the exiled Raven Guard that had a change of heart and re-entered the Galaxy after Corax disappeared.

I suggest this because, unlike the larger Legions, the Raven Guard Second Founding Chapters are well documented since there were only enough Legionaries remaining for 4 Chapters.

The way it would work is: They returned to the galaxy after the second founding and told the first Imperial representatives they ran across that they were a Second Founding Chapter. Since there is no complete record of ALL the Second Founding Chapters, no one would be able to prove they weren't, so everyone just rolled with it.

So, as far as anyone else is concerned they are a Second Founding Chapter, but they are secretly a remnant of the exiles that came back to redeem themselves in their Primarch's eyes.

It would add a new dimension to the exiled

Terran Raven Guard. We already have the Carcharodons, who are loyal but outcasts. And the Ashen Claws, who are renegades loyal only to themselves. Why not a third group who returned to the galaxy and became a truly loyal Chapter? It would also mesh nicely with being a fleet based Chapter with supply issues.

Just figured I'd throw that out there for you. It was an idea I had a while back, but I'm unlikely to do anything with it, so you can use it if you like.

And your Berzerkir sound an awful lot like Marines that have been afflicted with the sable brand. Perhaps instead of trying to cure it and shunning brothers it happens to, they embraced it and consider it a mark of honor instead?

Edited by Claws and Effect

However, In my fluff, I'm making my group a second founding chapter. Their link to the XIX legion is more than just genetic, their founding members were pulled directly from the Legion.

Suggestion for a wrinkle in their history:

Instead of making them a Second Founding Chapter, make them a Chapter-sized contingent of the exiled Raven Guard that had a change of heart and re-entered the Galaxy after Corax disappeared.

I suggest this because, unlike the larger Legions, the Raven Guard Second Founding Chapters are well documented since there were only enough Legionaries remaining for 4 Chapters.

The way it would work is: They returned to the galaxy after the second founding and told the first Imperial representatives they ran across that they were a Second Founding Chapter. Since there is no complete record of ALL the Second Founding Chapters, no one would be able to prove they weren't, so everyone just rolled with it.

That sounds pretty good. I know that Corax exiled a lot of terran-born astartes because they were more loyal to Horus and were too heavy handed for Corax's liking. The heavy handed bit sounds right, and maybe this group was just unable to adapt as well to Corax's methods, in the time frame necessary. So Corax Sent them off on Campaign (into exile) where they took their Primarch's teachings to heart and refined it, as their very survival would have depended on it. It also gives me a back story as to why they stained the Raven red (They're a red mark on the Legion) and their campaigns during exile saw their black armor stained with the ash of the Xenos and heretic worlds they burned before they returned to the imperium sometime after the second founding. With their armor stained grey with ash, and their adoption of so many varied recruits (who would have named them Ascomanni, or "ashmen" at first sight) this would truly set them apart, so that when they encounted the Imperium again, they truly looked to be a new chapter of space marines.

It would add a new dimension to the exiled

Terran Raven Guard. We already have the Carcharodons, who are loyal but outcasts. And the Ashen Claws, who are renegades loyal only to themselves. Why not a third group who returned to the galaxy and became a truly loyal Chapter? It would also mesh nicely with being a fleet based Chapter with supply issues.

I'm thinking that they will have returned from their exile to find the Imperium they served to be this festering corpse, a shadow of what it was. They serve the Imperium out of necessity, because it is the only thing that stands in the defense of Humanity and the Emperor. Their loyalties lie with Humanity, the Emperor, and Corax. Due to their status as exiles, they have held on to the Imperial Truth, and harbor a deep distrust of the Ecclesiarchy and the Inquisition. They will work with those forces, but tend to keep to themselves around Inquisitors and Priests.

Just figured I'd throw that out there for you. It was an idea I had a while back, but I'm unlikely to do anything with it, so you can use it if you like.

I appreciate this, I do want my fluff to be lore consistent. I care (even if GW themselves don't) about consistency.

And your Berzerkir sound an awful lot like Marines that have been afflicted with the sable brand. Perhaps instead of trying to cure it and shunning brothers it happens to, they embraced it and consider it a mark of honor instead?

Marines being afflicted with the Sable Brand would definitely find a home in the first company. I didn't want it to sound like the Berserkir were shunned. The first company is just where they all go because they don't fit into the tactical doctrine of the other Companies. Shadow Captains see the inclusion of a first company detachment to their task force as an incredible boon, it offers them a great deal of tactical flexibility, and gives them the opportunity to make use of distraction and misdirection, while allowing the first company to do what it does best; rip and tear. They still allow First Company Veterans to be seconded to other companies, Particularly the scout company and assault company, where their Preference for melee is an asset in teaching and training Astartes. I had the idea that the prevalence of such a brutal mindset was due to their somewhat lax and haphazard recruiting practices.

With your idea that they were exiles, they would have had to recruit anyone they could find to replenish their ranks. With their new reputation as the Wild Hunt (Possibly gained through interactions with the Space Wolves and inhabitants of Fenris) they tend to opportunistic, recruiting dispossessed warriors they deemed to have fought well, and giving them a new lease on life as astartes aspirants. In this way, They will have varied opinions on tactical doctrine, some preferring to use concealment and distance to strike from hidden positions, while other will prefer to use stealth to get close enough for a combat knife, other still will prefer to strike hard and fast from concealed positions and ambush.

While the Battle companies are precision instruments, utilizing a variety of tactics to penetrate or circumvent enemy defenses, the First Company is a Sledgehammer. They're the Chapter's embodiment of the idea that, "When all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail..." The First Company knows that they do heavy assaults well. Whether they're dropping in on Jump Packs or teleporting in with Terminator Armor, or driving forward with land raiders or swooping in with Storm Raven Gunships and dropping in Dreadnoughts, their objective is to close with the enemy and destroy them in close combat.

I do like the idea of just accepting warriors afflicted with the Sable Brand, rather than shunning them, as they wouldn't have had the resources to try and cure it, and they couldn't afford to lose experienced warriors. So in keeping with their origins, they just use their tactical flexibility to account for the Sable Brand taking hold.

I've done the world building thing a bunch of times for my IG army, and it got really tedious, because 40k lore is kind of rigid, and you can't exactly build a world that combines elements. There are no feral worlds which also have hive like cities. I mean, If I can come up with a good way to do it, I'll do some world building for a primary recruiting planet.

I'd argue that 40k is so open ended it's ridiculous. Just because Black Library or a Codex hasn't mentioned a feral world with hive cities doesn't mean it can't exist. I try to remind myself that 40k is huge and it is not hero hammer. There are so many stories that can be told in the universe that have nothing to do with established lore.

So far everything you have written sounds really good and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

I'd argue that 40k is so open ended it's ridiculous. Just because Black Library or a Codex hasn't mentioned a feral world with hive cities doesn't mean it can't exist. I try to remind myself that 40k is huge and it is not hero hammer. There are so many stories that can be told in the universe that have nothing to do with established lore.

I suppose you could look at it that way. Having a feral world that also has hives or a world that is harsh but civilized just seems out of character for the setting. So rather than restrict myself to a world that feels at odds with the setting I think I'll stick with the fleet based chapter aspect so that they can recruit from multiple worlds. I also like the idea of having them recruit from shattered Imperial Guard Regiments also gives them some cool flavor.

Furthermore, failed aspirants could be recycled into a Regiment of their own that supplements the Chapter by following in behind them and mopping up resistance and setting up rear areas for casualty collection, medicae stations, and artillery positions (This regiment would have been given the old legion basalisks and medusas and such, as that does not fall under approved astartes equipment, as well as salvaged Leman Russes and sentinels). That would add to their ability to sustain a fight, meaning that they'd have well trained forces that could secure their rear areas while the astartes can go forward and fight.

I'm having fun being freed from the need to do world building.

I got impatient, and ordered two more invictor warsuits from eBay, with the hope that these will arrive sooner. I also plan to purchase some bits from popgoesthemonkey.

This:

710x528_29105163_15620558_1569361621_734

and two sets of these

710x528_23240209_12867975_1565394689_d4f

Before long I plan to use them to order some bits for some characters I'd like to make.

I like where you're going here. Took a hard look at those Invictor parts myself. Haven't pulled trigger on one for mine, but I think the one you chose suits your theme well.

Thanks. I’m pretty happy with the way things are going. I’m looking forward to getting everything ready. I have one last thing that I want, and that’s another Phobos Librarian. I’m really sold on the Psychic phase, as I think that using it to debuff enemy units as well as get some extra damage in is powerful.

I’ve got a second Phobos Librarian on the way, and I plan to pick up some more models from my buddy, probably going to grab the Inceptors, Rievers, and Redemptor. Then it’s a bunch of characters and such that I’m not terribly likely to use, but want for the collection.

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist

Time for an Update!

I have received two Invictor Warsuits, and I will hopefully be able to build them soon. I also should receive my new airbrush and primer today as well.

Additionally, I have created a "Wiki" page with all the fluff I've come up with so far, for those of you that care: The Red Ravens.

I should also be receiving my second Phobos Librarian soon. Then I can start the work of painting!

I also have a tentative list:

1987pts

++Config++

Raven Guard Successor (Stealthy, Long Range Marksmen)

Battle Forged 3CP

Battalion 5CP

++Strategems++

Token of Brotherhood -1CP

++HQ++

Phobos Captain (WT: Swift and Deadly, Ex Tenebris)

Phobos Librarian (Shrouding, Mind Raid)

Phobos Librarian (Shrouding, Mind Raid)

++Troops++

Incursor Squad (9 man)

Incursor Squad (9 man)

Scout Squad (bolter Sarge, 3 bolters, HB)

Scout Squad (bolter Sarge, 3 bolters, HB)

++Elites++

Invictor Warsuit (Autocannon)

Invictor Warsuit (Autocannon)

Reiver Squad (5 men, Grapnel launchers, Combat knives)

Reiver Squad (5 men, Grapnel launchers, Combat knives)

++Fast Attack++

Suppressor Squad

Suppressor Squad

++Heavy Support++

Eliminator Squad (Bolt sniper sarge, 2 Las Fusil)

Eliminator Squad (Bolt sniper sarge, 2 Las Fusil)

++Flyer++

Stormtalon (Typhoon Missile Launcher)

Stormtalon (Typhoon Missile Launcher)

I feel like this is a balanced list that hits a lot of my favorite units. I would appreciate any feedback. I'm not necessarily sold on the reivers or captain, I could also go Lt with MoA and Ex tenebris, with Aggressors.

Better off using Master of Ambush on a Chaplain or Captain imo. I prefer Chaplain because it can get him middle of the board with Aggressors T1. As opposed to the Phobos HQs who can get there on their own. I can play pretty aggressive sometimes though.

I've also used it on a Captain and Eliminators (before I had Incursors) to block out middle of the board during deployment, then pulled everyone back into the gunline to block out potential reserves arriving T2 ... GSC. Between his and my shenanigans deployment took longer than the game, but honestly the game was won during deployment, so yeah. 

Army composition thoughts: Eliminators go all in on a weapon. Keep it dedicated and simple. RG have enough moving parts down bog down your decision making tree with things like "How do I make a single rifle shot effective?" All Las or all Sniper. Your going to see most advice says all Sniper, and its good advice but honestly I wish I had Las myself sometimes. Our Characters are pretty good Character killers and the Troops aren't shabby. High strength Primaris weapon is rare. I just don't have the points with my playstyle. You do though, so while its not "optimal" its a good option. Character Knights and vehicles should hate you :)

You're going to want a Chaplain when you start playing. Its a good model too. Hell I didn't convert mine and that's testament to its cool factor ... didn'y convert my Phobos Librarian either though lol. Did I mention get a Chaplain?

Not a big fan of Reivers or Scouts, but I don't have anything against them. They'll be wiped away pretty quick but that's the case for Castellan Knights too so just game plan for it and you're good. I really like the Stormtalons and Invictors. I wish my competitive style could use the Stormtalons. I like their looks, but I like the Centurions and Aggressors looks also so maybe I'm not best judge.

You mentioned Aggressors. I think a unit to MoA with a Chaplain would do a lot to reinforce your early midfield presence.  The Invictors can't do it on their own imo. They are going to take the brunt of your enemy firepower early. A unit of Aggressors 9" from your opponents deployment zone is going to start causing decision making issues they don't want to make. I like the autocannon. I really like consistency the Incendarium Cannon even when injured, but the Autocannon gives you deployment options. I like having a gameplan, but I prefer a gameplan that can pivot its set up depending on the opponent. 

Best of Luck. 

Very cool. I've got a similar Index Astartes article I'm working on. I eventually plan on submitting it to the 1000 Chapters Project but it needs more development first.

Your thread is exactly where I got the idea from.

That list looks fun to play. Has a lot of cool toys. It could use some boltstorm gauntlets though. :wink:

I'm playing around with it a bit. Looking into a single aggressor squad and an LT with Ex Tenebris, with Master of Ambush. I'm just not totally sure how I want to do things.

LT will have bigger gains with an Ex Tenebris than the Captain. It's good on both, but the LT has a bigger benefit.

Fair, since he'll gain an extra 12" of threat range, plus the extra 3" from long range marksmen, for a 39" threat range.

Better off using Master of Ambush on a Chaplain or Captain imo. I prefer Chaplain because it can get him middle of the board with Aggressors T1. As opposed to the Phobos HQs who can get there on their own. I can play pretty aggressive sometimes though.

That's a very fair assessment. Chaplains do buff melee units really well.

I've also used it on a Captain and Eliminators (before I had Incursors) to block out middle of the board during deployment, then pulled everyone back into the gunline to block out potential reserves arriving T2 ... GSC. Between his and my shenanigans deployment took longer than the game, but honestly the game was won during deployment, so yeah.

The Idea I had for the LT was to pull the aggressors forward and get them in hard cover for a T2 charge, while getting the LT in position to suppot my eliminators and provide some sniping of his own.

Army composition thoughts: Eliminators go all in on a weapon. Keep it dedicated and simple. RG have enough moving parts down bog down your decision making tree with things like "How do I make a single rifle shot effective?" All Las or all Sniper. Your going to see most advice says all Sniper, and its good advice but honestly I wish I had Las myself sometimes. Our Characters are pretty good Character killers and the Troops aren't shabby. High strength Primaris weapon is rare. I just don't have the points with my playstyle. You do though, so while its not "optimal" its a good option. Character Knights and vehicles should hate you :smile.: 

I had a reason for going with Las on only two guys. The Bolt sniper is the cheapest option for the sarge, and I really want him to not shoot so I can buff the squad to shoot better. Better probability of hit with high strength weapons gives me a lot more threat. Plus I can always split fire the sarge at a character and hope to get lucky if I can't think of anything better to do.

You're going to want a Chaplain when you start playing. Its a good model too. Hell I didn't convert mine and that's testament to its cool factor ... didn'y convert my Phobos Librarian either though lol. Did I mention get a Chaplain?

I'm convinced. Two phobos librarians to buff my dudes and debuff enemies, and a Chaplain to buff a full squad of aggressors seems like a big ticket.

Not a big fan of Reivers or Scouts, but I don't have anything against them. They'll be wiped away pretty quick but that's the case for Castellan Knights too so just game plan for it and you're good. I really like the Stormtalons and Invictors. I wish my competitive style could use the Stormtalons. I like their looks, but I like the Centurions and Aggressors looks also so maybe I'm not best judge.

The Reivers are meh. I love the models, and I think they do some cool stuff, and thematically they fit with my Phobos heavy list and preferences. I love the invictors, I think they're probably one of my favorite models thus far. They seem to me to be what dreads were always meant to be, solid infantry support walkers, and dreads just never did that well enough. I love me some air support, and honestly as goofy looking as the StormTalons are, I think they're one of the best looking Space Marine fliers ever. I like playing the Air Assault style army, I think that stems from my training background, and the fact that Tanks mean nothing if I rule the skies. I like scouts as Cheap filler units. They're not the heavy hitters, but if I can get a squad of scouts to vomit out enough damage to make them seem threatening and hold an objective for a turn, they've done their job. They're a speed bump.

You mentioned Aggressors. I think a unit to MoA with a Chaplain would do a lot to reinforce your early midfield presence.  The Invictors can't do it on their own imo. They are going to take the brunt of your enemy firepower early. A unit of Aggressors 9" from your opponents deployment zone is going to start causing decision making issues they don't want to make. I like the autocannon. I really like consistency the Incendarium Cannon even when injured, but the Autocannon gives you deployment options. I like having a gameplan, but I prefer a gameplan that can pivot its set up depending on the opponent.

You have me so convinced on chaplains, I just up and bought one. I planned to magnetize my Invictors to use both guns, the current iteration of my list uses the Incendium cannon (I really like it because it's fluffy for my army's theme, but it's also a threatening weapon). The Thing is, the invictor has some decent longer range shooting, with the Ironhail stubbers and the heavy bolter, you can put down some effective fire from 0"-36" and the fact that you can use that HB as a pistol is just nasty. Since I don't have to charge the unit I shot at, I can mulch some infantry and then charge a vehicle with the invictor fist. I'm hoping that my list is flexible enough to take all comers, and still allow me to have fun playing in a competitive meta (even though I'm not competitive).

Best of Luck. 

Many thanks.

Sounds like you have solid plan in place. I've always used Master Artisan because I feel it simulated an army that focused that much more on training elite soldiers. (I just had another thought it could represent a genetic trait regarding Luck, but I don't believe in Luck so moving on). I still think the Eliminators work best as all one weapon profile  and I've seen math for it, but totally respect what you're going with. I suppose the Carbine is too expensive?

Definitely look forward to seeing models :)