Ulrik's Raven Guard: The StormCrows; de Villta Veiðin

Ulrik_Ironfist

Sounds like you have solid plan in place. I've always used Master Artisan because I feel it simulated an army that focused that much more on training elite soldiers. (I just had another thought it could represent a genetic trait regarding Luck, but I don't believe in Luck so moving on). I still think the Eliminators work best as all one weapon profile  and I've seen math for it, but totally respect what you're going with. I suppose the Carbine is too expensive?

Definitely look forward to seeing models :smile.:

One issue I have, is that My Eliminator models are all equipped with the bolt snipers (because start collecting boxes are monobuild, apparently) just like my Phobos guys are all actually built as Infiltrators, and not incursors, so I don't actually have the paired knives modeled on them. That irritates me quite a bit, as I had no way to know this until I had the boxes in hand. Further irritating me is the fact that there are no transfer sheets for anyone other than ultramarines, because screw anyone that doesn't want to play smurfs...

The carbine is too expensive for what I'm looking for, I don't really want my eliminators to be kiting CC units all over the table, I'd rather like to keep them away from melee units altogether, which is why I wanted to bring a more up front melee threat.

Have you built the eliminators yet? I’m curious if you could use the las fusils from the eliminator box set on them? Say from someone who has 6 or 8 laying around. :)

Update time!

I've got a Primaris Chaplain on the way, thanks to Dracos for convincing me that Chaplains are good. I've also got one invictor built, and I'm planning to do the second one tonight. Then once my last two characters arrive, I can get to priming and painting.

I've also settled on a list.

Have you built the eliminators yet? I’m curious if you could use the las fusils from the eliminator box set on them? Say from someone who has 6 or 8 laying around. :smile.:

Yes, I have built the Eliminators. One issue is that the start collecting eliminators look to be a different sculpt than the boxed Eliminators.

I've been getting help on list building from my local gaming group. I've decided to go for multiple small units of incursors so that I can fill out the battalion and get the most out of my list. It also seems to fit my fluff a bit better to have them make use of small unit tactics.

Doing MSU incursors gets me more haywire mines, and it gets me some assault marines in the list, and I'm splitting up my aggressor bomb which I will move up the board 9" with SftS, and they'll be my anvil. My assault marines will use infiltrators to move as far up as they can so that I can drop a T1 charge if possible.

My suggestion for the jump pack Chaplain wasn't necessarily for close combat.

I usually run one with the trait that lets him have 2 Litanies.

The jump pack is useful for getting his buffs where I want them when I want them there. Especially useful if I want his buff on a unit that is deep striking in turn 2.

My suggestion for the jump pack Chaplain wasn't necessarily for close combat.

Fair enough. Though, that seems to be where he makes most sense. And it makes the most sense for my homebrew lore for the chaplain to be up front in CC.

I usually run one with the trait that lets him have 2 Litanies.

That's the strategem right? I've already got a ton of things taking up my CP, like my deployment shenanigans.

The jump pack is useful for getting his buffs where I want them when I want them there. Especially useful if I want his buff on a unit that is deep striking in turn 2.

That is very true, and I'll look into it. Right now my biggest thing is using shrike for my primary buffs.

Ulrik trust me. After you use Master of Sanctity with Wise Orator, you'll never want to run a Chaplain any other way again, jump pack or Primaris. 2 CP and worth every penny. I think he's best used with Master of Ambush so you get his benefits from the get go. I wish Chief Librarian felt like it did as much for Librarians as MoS does for the Chappie. It would give me reason to use my Phobos Librarian.

Ulrik trust me. After you use Master of Sanctity with Wise Orator, you'll never want to run a Chaplain any other way again, jump pack or Primaris. 2 CP and worth every penny. I think he's best used with Master of Ambush so you get his benefits from the get go. I wish Chief Librarian felt like it did as much for Librarians as MoS does for the Chappie. It would give me reason to use my Phobos Librarian.

I'm thinking that I'd maybe use The Hero of the Chapter strategem to generate the master of ambush trait on a secondary character to get stuff up the board. Meanwhile I can use shrike as my actual warlord. In which case, using a chaplain I could have my cake and eat it too...

Assault Intercessors and bikes for the Red Ravens?

Assault intercessors definitely. They'd make an excellent addition to the First Company. I've never been the biggest fan of bikes for some reason. It might be worth a look for a couple of 3 man units. The Sword and Board guys (especially the Volkite Guy) look to be something that I'll want for my first company as well, as well as those gravis armor melta guys. The Whole Box looks to be like something I'd want two of.

That will have to wait though. I just bought the AoS starter box and it's expansion, so I'm going to be waiting until it hits ebay in parts...

• 2 weeks later...

The modified Redemptors look promising. Where'd you get the Venerable Dreadnought-like heads?

They're actually Invictor warsuits. But yest the bits came from Pop Goes the Monkey.
The armored cockpit looks better on the Invictors than Games Workshop's cage.

the cage works for some armies...raptors others not so much. 

Ulrik looking good so far. 

Another Update!

I did more work, and my Invictor warsuits and Battle line squads are tabletop standard+ (a wee bit extra), as well as Shrike himself being ready for war!

It's late so no pictures now, I'll post another update tomorrow when I'm up to resizing images and curating my gallery. Suppressors, Aggressors, Eliminators, Phobos Librarians, Phobos Lieutenants, are next on the docket.

I've decided that I want some color, so I'm going to organize units by the Codex astartes:

1st Company: (Red Arms and helmets w/silver pauldron trim)

- 2 Veteran Squads (2 Vanguard)

- 1 Terminator Squad (cataphractii)

2nd Company: (Gold)

- 6 Tactical Squads (4 infiltrator and 2 Intercessor)

- 2 Assault Squads (2 Incursor)

- 2 Devastator Squads (2 Eliminator)

- 2 Dreadnoughts (Invictor Warsuits)

- 2 Vehicles (2 Stormtalons)

7th Company: (Purple)

- 2 Tactical Squads (2 Intercessors)

8th Company: (Grey)

- 2 Assault Squads (2 Riever)

- 2 Assault Squads (2 Inceptor)

9th Company: (Blue)

- 2 Devastator Squads (2 Aggressor)

- 2 Devastator Squads (2 Suppressor)

- 1 Devastator Squad (1 Hellblaster)

10th Company: (White)

- 2 Scout Squads (Bolter/HB)

- 2 Scout Squads (BP/CB)

- 1 Scout Squads (Sniper)

I'll be using the white decals to denote the battlefield role, and The left pauldron trim is the company badge, while the right (if present) will bear the chapter's secondary color (red). This is as much a painting and collecting project as much as it is a lore project and a gaming project. I want my opponent to look at my army and see that I put effort into the army. I'll never build the full chapter (probably).

Lore wise, the second company is the company which I envision as being the most prestigious, the exemplars of the what the chapter is about. Swift, Silent, and Deadly. They're the raiders, and their focus on phobos armor, shows it, while their intercessors are equipped with auto bolt rifles. I would tend to want to think that each battle company would be specialized, for a particular type of special operations warfare.

1st Company - Seigebreakers (Berserkir)

2nd Company- Raiders/Asymmetric Warfare

3rd Company - Special Reconnaissance

4th Company - Air Assault/Quick Reaction Force

5th Company - Combat Engineers/Demolitions

It would be a pretty cool project to build each battle company eventually, keeping to the theme for each of the battle companies. The First company would be the one that is mostly mixed old marines and primaris, with blade guard coming out now, and assault intercessors, I'm going to be taking veteran assault intercessors (as long as that stays a thing).

I'm having a ton of fun with this so far, and I hope y'all are having fun wit this too!

Yas pictures finally! :wub:

Some are kind of fuzzy, but I'm particularly proud of the Comm Relay half masks,  the Helix Adepts, and the eyes.

Army is looking great making impressive progress!

You know me, I was already fast, and the airbrush makes me faster... Too bad there's not ETL this year, My goal is to have 2k painted by the end of the week, and ready to hit the table...

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist