Known Instances of Alpha Legion infiltrating Death Guard?

N1SB

The Alpha Legion infiltrates pretty much everything, including The Regimental Standard newspaper, but I'm just curious if there are cited examples of them having an Legionnaire infiltrating the Death Guard.  Or the other Traitor Legions, for that matter.  Could be during the Horus Heresy or modern times.

What I'm thinking is that Alpha Legion undercover agents have references on whom they like to infiltrate.  For example, being a mole within the Emperor's Children on their party barge is considered the most enjoyable gig.  I'm just imagining the poor slob who got assigned to the Death Guard right before they headed towards Terra...and ended up infected with the Destroyer Plague.

And I'm looking for that unlucky Alpha Legionnaire that got the plague please.  Thanks in advance.

"Hey, have we heard anything from Agent Bob?"

"The guy assigned to the Death Guard? Yeah, he said he wanted to apply for some sick leave a few weeks back."
"Wait, do we even get sick?"
"That's what I thought, so I tried calling, but I just heard some high-pitched giggling, then the kid or whatever it was tried to tell me a knock-knock joke, and got all huffy when I didn't laugh. Said I was no fun, and hung up."

"Man, the Death Guard are weird..."

The Alpha Legion's famous infiltration has its limits, and note that replacing Astartes isn't even the main trick.

But yeah, inevitably there probably were infiltrators in the Emperor's Children and Death Guard during the Heresy since they made a point of subverting their fellow Legions back then, and it probably ended nightmarishly.

Note that they also use manchurian candidates and false flags, which aren't the same thing as infiltrated agents.

Edited by Lucerne

Great feedback.  I love it.  Much appreciated, Brothers.

Imma hunt down that anthology for The Face of Treachery, and it was in fact another anthology, Shattered Legions, which I liked beyond the fact that I played the Shattered Xth because of the sudden yet inevitable betrayal by Alpha Legion infiltrators.  It was well played, but I mainly thought that was kinda funny.  I was also reading this "psychology" book called Talking to Strangers and a lot of it dealt with how spies...not even particularly good ones...were able to stay undercover for so long.

Going into this exercise, I was thinking of those Alpha Legion Nurgle Possessed Bomb in tournament lists and I was trying to No-Prize it, like a Nurgle-marked Alpha Legion Master of Possession who carries some virus/infection/taint from his Death Guard days that can turn (Loyalist Firstborn) Marines into Possessed.  Now, I go with this idea that the other HQs are actually his closest friends before they were all sent to infiltrate other Legions, like a Tzeentch-marked Sorcerer had the same undercover assignment, but with Thousand Sons instead.

Note that they also use manchurian candidates and false flags, which aren't the same thing as infiltrated agents.

Yeah, at our local Warhammer Store, we call that Stratagem "YOU are Alpharius."

Interesting curiosities. Makes me wonder if any Alpha Legion infiltrators might have been terran born and sent to Isstvan III. What those AL that survived might have felt towards their executioners, their terran brethren who were right beside them, and their original legion for sending them there.

Incidentally, if anyone actually likes chaotic AL (can't relate), the idea of the infiltrators being subverted by the very organizations they're supposed to undermine is one with narrative potential.

Chaos corrupts, after all, and the Alpha Legion is only mostly as prepared and informed as they think they are.

Now that I would be very here for.