++Founding++ Ultima

++Progenitor Chapter++ [REDACTED]

++Role++ Urban Pacification and Proto-Heresy Cleansing

++Homeworld++ None. Fleetbound, Company Level or Smaller Deployments

++++++

Following the events of the Fall of Cadia and the formation of the Great Rift, the Inquisition found their forces spread thin on the ground. Administratum auditing and Inquisitorial reports indicate a significant likelihood of increased heretical ecclesiastical and political organizing, as civilians "lacking in sufficient willpower and courage" begin to doubt the strength and correctness of the Imperial cause.

As a result, permission was granted for the requisition of a new Chapter of Astartes from Guilliman's Ultima Founding. The Shepherds Ad Astra would be tasked with rooting out and destroying cults or organizations deemed likely to result in widespread civil unrest. In cases where Red Hunter or Grey Knight involvement is considered too overt or too catastrophic to social order, and Officio Assassinorum agents are unable to be requisitioned, the Shepherds Ad Astra are deployed.

A typical Shepherd deployment is headed by, or nominally under the command of, an Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus. Cult meetings are infiltrated, members are identified, and compounds are put down in swift, brutal fashion. Particularly insidious groups are handled by a strict "One-Degree" policy, whereby all personally identifiable associates of cult members are pacified subsequent to the initial action. Transported via Strike Cruisers, the Shepherds almost exclusively make use of Phobos Armor and its derivatives, cutting cultist defenders down with disciplined bolter fire from Infiltrators and Eliminators, while Reivers breach holdouts and chase down fleeing members.

The Shepherds Ad Astra are primarily composed of foundlings on Hive Worlds left in the care of Ecclesiarchy, selected by specially assigned Inquisitorial agents. This has caused a not-insignificant degree of resentment among members of the Schola Progenium, who view the chapter as stealing their best potential recruits out from under them. Likewise stormtroopers and inquisitorial agents often see Shepherds as unwelcome rivals.
++++++

Hey gang! For my first post, I wanted to show off my custom chapter, the Shepherds Ad Astra; Inquisitorial attack dogs, massacre boys, unquestionably responsible for an unpleasant number of innocent casualties but also unquestionably responsible for keeping numerous worlds out of the hands of the GSC, T'au, or Chaos.

I'll be posting some fluff for them, as well as a proper color chart, heraldry, and the characters in the Third Company I've decided will make up my physical army. Thanks for reading, and I'd always welcome feedback!

I like the concept as well though I think it may need some rewording as not to seem to take over for Sisters of Battle or any of the Imperial Cult arms as they are the militant arm of Herecticus generally. Also why mention Red Hunters and Grey Knights? They work with Malleus generally and while there is overlap generally specialize in demon cases versus civil unrest. I think your chapter has good potential. I had a similar idea for a different brew of mine Known as Graven Soul. 

Thanks, to both of you!

RE: Geneseed, we'll be finding out via fluff at a later date. I think you're on the right track, though. Cawl and the Inquisition surely wouldn't think twice about not letting such valuable assets go to waste.

RE: Similarity to Sororitas and the mention of the other chapters, you have a point there. The primary thingsseparating the SAA from the other Ecclesiarchy armies is aesthetic and purpose. They are more understated in aesthetic and expressly military in bearing and operations. Less Vatican Guard and more "Extraordinary Rendition X 10". I thought the Red Hunters were not necessarily associated with Malleus but instead just the "mind wipe when finished, use for any suitably secret mission" assets of the Inquisition, but I'm happy to be wrong. Mentioning the GK is probably a mistake though.

A unique name and setup! I like the idea of another =][= attack dog Chapter utilising Primaris forces.

Now with the whole thing of Inquisitors being in command of operations, is this hands-on, commanding on the ground or in a Ship above, or is it done remotely, providing intelligence to the Shepherds to do their own business? Does it affect how the Shepherds are viewed by other Astartes forces?

In terms of appearance do they carry the Inquisition =][= as a part of their Chapter symbol akin to the Red Hunters?

Cambrius

Thank you! I have a soft spot for any Inquisitorial forces, truth be told.

It would depend on the Inquisitor, but for my Third Company, their Inquisitorial representative is fully hands-on, and leads her detachment and retinue as part of any pacification efforts. Other companies or demi-companies might have different attitudes.

They're not the most well received by other chapters; particularly I feel that the Salamanders and Space Wolves would be opposed to their general assignment and approach to civilians. I'd imagine the Wolves would call them out for being lapdogs for sure.

Their insignia I cribbed from an achievement design from The Division; a stylized dove surrounded by a laurel. But they bear the =][= on the right shoulder.

Their insignia I cribbed from an achievement design from The Division; a stylized dove surrounded by a laurel.

I can't recall ANY Imperial organizations using a dove- a symbol of peace in M2 and M3- as a symbol. An eagle or other bird-of-prey will probably be more attuned with Imperial culture, anyways.

Alternatively, use a sheepdog's head, to match the "Shepherd" in the Chapter name.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

I can't recall ANY Imperial organizations using a dove- a symbol of peace in M2 and M3- as a symbol. An eagle or other bird-of-prey will probably be more attuned with Imperial culture, anyways.

I feel you here; it was mostly chosen because I had already really liked the image, and because I enjoy the symbolism of these ancient M3 symbols being repurposed.

After all, the Lamenters use a similarly anachronistic idiom as their iconography, I feel as though it's fairly open season.

I feel you here; it was mostly chosen because I had already really liked the image, and because I enjoy the symbolism of these ancient M3 symbols being repurposed.

After all, the Lamenters use a similarly anachronistic idiom as their iconography, I feel as though it's fairly open season.

Suggestion: Combine the symbol of peace (the dove) with a symbol of death. To the Chapter's enemies, it is a warning: If they will not offer peace to the Imperium (surrender, and accept the Imperium's terms), then they must accept the peace the Chapter offers, i.e., the peace of the grave (the Shepherds will kill them all).

Suggestion: Combine the symbol of peace (the dove) with a symbol of death. To the Chapter's enemies, it is a warning: If they will not offer peace to the Imperium (surrender, and accept the Imperium's terms), then they must accept the peace the Chapter offers, i.e., the peace of the grave (the Shepherds will kill them all).

As a possible idea, maybe the Dove is carrying a skull in its talons? Would befit the warning of death. And aotp that, whilst doves may be all friendly and lovey-dovey peace symbols in this current Millennium, whose to say that there arern't other vicious predators that look like giant Doves in the galaxy the Shepherds took inspiration from? ;)

Cambrius

And aotp that, whilst doves may be all friendly and lovey-dovey peace symbols in this current Millennium, whose to say that there arern't other vicious predators that look like giant Doves in the galaxy the Shepherds took inspiration from?

Good point. Emperor help us if Nurgle decided to mutate doves for use as a symbol of peace (of the grave, spreading disease and killing crops to cause famine).