Had my first game!

So I was in touch with my local 40k group and folk were talking about using Tabletop Simulator to play games during quarantine. I managed to wrangle someone and we played the other night. It was super fun and I learned a lot. I don't remember every detail but we only went 2 full battlerounds due to us both getting used to TTSim and me being a newbie, so the specifics aren't that important. Game was 1000 pts against his Sisters army. Here's a few points I learned during this. Some may help out other newbies like myself. Other things may seem obvious to most but it was my first game and sometimes it's hard for me to put things together without the context of it actually happening on the table.

- Tzaangor are too squishy to hold objectives. Their job is to squawk loudly and run head first into the enemy, tying them up in melee and doing as much damage as they can before being turned into fried chicken while the rest of your troops set up. Hold them back to ambush or use spells/strategems to throw them at the enemy. (Changing to Duplicity would help with this)

- All Tzaangor units for that matter are very squishy. Keep the Bow equipped Enlightened at max range.

- Don't forget the spell range buff! It's super important!

- The cult spell gets assigned to EVERY Psyker automatically

- SO MANY RULES. Organize them.

- Copy datasheets out of Codex onto individual cards (or find a datasheet maker)

- Divide Strategems into categories for easier access. I.e. "My Shooting Phase", "Tzaangor Only", "Enemy Fight Phase", etc

- The Helbrute Plasma Cannon has massive range. Don't march it forward unless necessary. (And actually shoot it at the damn tanks not infantry)

- Test viability of teleporting an angry, screaming, melee equipped Helbrute on top of enemy tanks.

- Absolutely need more anti-vehicle. Consider second Helbrute or Missile Rack on a Terminator

When all's said and done my opponent said I did quite well for my first game and helped me out with reminding me of some things I can do and other things to remember. Hilariously, at the end of the last battle round we played, all of my models were dead except for a few Rubrics and all of my psykers. So yeah, all the Sorcerers survived and ran after their cannon fodder minions died. Seems appropriate, haha. But I should be able to do a lot better next time.

Good to hear, first game are always learning ones regardless :tu: For lists Battlescribe is something I find very useful for keeping important information to hand during a game as the lists have all your choices and details :)

When all's said and done my opponent said I did quite well for my first game and helped me out with reminding me of some things I can do and other things to remember. Hilariously, at the end of the last battle round we played, all of my models were dead except for a few Rubrics and all of my psykers. So yeah, all the Sorcerers survived and ran after their cannon fodder minions died. Seems appropriate, haha. But I should be able to do a lot better next time.

Just as Planned! :D

Sounds like a great first game, you'll get them next time!

(Don't forget to practice your maniacal laugh!)

MR.

I do use Battlescribe, and funnily enough I did find buttscribe yesterday, heh. I might "shop" around for other datasheet builders to see what I like the best.

Annoyingly though, Battlescribe says Dual Force Swords are allowed on Exalted Sorcerers, and Missle Launchers aren't allowed on Helbrutes. Though I've heard the opposite on both as well. There are so many faqs and rule books that I'm not sure where the right answer is.

I do use Battlescribe, and funnily enough I did find buttscribe yesterday, heh. I might "shop" around for other datasheet builders to see what I like the best.

Annoyingly though, Battlescribe says Dual Force Swords are allowed on Exalted Sorcerers, and Missle Launchers aren't allowed on Helbrutes. Though I've heard the opposite on both as well. There are so many faqs and rule books that I'm not sure where the right answer is.

I checked. The dual sword is no longer valid for the Sorceror. I still wish it was.

I checked. The dual sword is no longer valid for the Sorceror. I still wish it was.

Where specifically does it say that? Or actually almost wondering where it might have been added? Cause I noticed my codex doesn't have it as an option. Only Battlescribe says it's ok.

Either way, that one Sorc will just have an added Force Sword. Next Exalted I build will either get twin blades anyway just for looks. Or maybe I can make him a spear using an extra sword bit or something. It's just a staff with a sword on the end. Same difference. ;P I think some 30k Thousand Sons had special looking spears. *shrugs*

Where specifically does it say that? Or actually almost wondering where it might have been added? Cause I noticed my codex doesn't have it as an option. Only Battlescribe says it's ok.

Either way, that one Sorc will just have an added Force Sword. Next Exalted I build will either get twin blades anyway just for looks. Or maybe I can make him a spear using an extra sword bit or something. It's just a staff with a sword on the end. Same difference. ;P I think some 30k Thousand Sons had special looking spears. *shrugs*

The story goes as follows:

It was not in the original codex.

Added when they did the FAQ.

Added to digital copies of the codex.

Removed with a more recent FAQ.

Not removed from the digital codex.

So that leaves us with a confusing mess of whether or not it can be used but with most sticking with the fact that it cant as it was not part of a codex and most recent FAQ dont have it either.

The story goes as follows:

It was not in the original codex.

Added when they did the FAQ.

Added to digital copies of the codex.

Removed with a more recent FAQ.

Not removed from the digital codex.

So that leaves us with a confusing mess of whether or not it can be used but with most sticking with the fact that it cant as it was not part of a codex and most recent FAQ dont have it either.

Aah, so it's Tzeentch's fault then. It all makes sense now.