Which dreadnought do you recommend for an UM army?

k0ldsh0ck

That 2+ save and the extra wounds are worthwhile. The biggest con of the relic is the fact that it is a relic.

I'm my list, for example, I don't actually run many things in the elite category.

Master of Strategy works on any unit, regardless of unit type.

It does, but then you need a HQ unit within 6" of the Dread.

And the C Beam Contemptor wants to be as far away from the enemy as possible, further than all other units in the army in fact. That HQ would benefit more from being with the rest of the army.

It does, but then you need a HQ unit within 6" of the Dread.

Any character, including a TFC Techmarine Gunner, could have it.

If you have a couple of backline vehicles, a Techmarine with MoS to support the C-Beam (or another Heavy weapons platform) isn't a terrible idea.

They do, but I'm saying that in 90% of games your Captain will not be next to the CBeam Contemptor, away from everything else on the field on turn 4.

Your Captain will be more central, buffing multiple units and getting stuck into combat that late into the game.

I'm simply saying that following the Doctrine nerf the CBeam Contemptor is not as appealing as the Las variant.

Edited by Ishagu

They do, but I'm saying that in 90% of games your Captain will not be next to the CBeam Contemptor, away from everything else on the field on turn 4.

Your Captain will be more central, buffing multiple units and getting stuck into combat that late into the game.

I'm simply saying that following the Doctrine nerf the CBeam Contemptor is not as appealing as the Las variant.

Oh for sure. I agree. The best use of our expensive models is to drag as much benefit from then as possible.

I think the Lascannon choice is much better. It can always fire at S9 etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like in general dreads have made a huge comeback and can be a staple unit.

Prior to 8th edition there was a growing clamour for Dreads to be treated more like Monstrous Creatures in the way that other Dread equivalents like Wraithlords were - i.e. wounds instead of armour values (the distinction between which was always odd as Wraithlords were originally 'Eldar Dreadnoughts'! :P). Of course GW went overboard and just did away with the way vehicles worked altogether (which I am still irked about). Turns out people were right about giving Dreads wounds, though!

Relic Contemptor with double twin las and missile rack.

Noob question here: which book contains the rules for the Relic Contemptor? I was able to find it in Battlescribe, but would still like to know where these rules came from (in the box perhaps). Furthermore, I am having trouble adding some of the other FW models into Battlescribe, such as to look up the stats for some of the other Dreads you all recommended, as the Imperium - FW Astartes is nowhere to be found in my battlescribe. Does anyone happen to know which Repo this should come from?

Thank you in advance!