Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MI's Raptor's V Company

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
Raptors V, Strike Force Talon (1st Demi) 

I have always loved the Raptors Space Marine Chapter. The first Space Marine I ever saw was a Raptor in the opening cutscene of the savagely mediocre video game "Fire Warrior". He was mercilessly gunning down some weird little blue noseless guys. Ever since, that has been my definitive example of space marine coolness. Obviously, this was my main inspiration for painting this army. Not the whole slaughter of innocent aliens (Can the tau really be called innocent? Really?) thing, but the massive Super Soldier in a walking tank dealing rapid fire explosive doom - in U.S. Army Camo Green. Secondly, the much applauded fan series Astartes. That work is the reason my marines have shiny black eye lenses. I think they look more menacing with the black eyes, I hope you agree. That film is also the reason I chose the green I did. Not the traditional bright "camo green", but a darker gray-green that along with the dark eyes gives them a grim-dark look lacking in brighter colored space marine heraldry. The bases are inspired by Astartes as well. I wanted my Raptors to appear as though they are deployed to a neglected traitor ship or dark mechanicus orbital forge.
 I tried for the most part to stick to the 'cannon' Raptors lore for the markings, but I took a few liberties for the sake of what I thought looks cool. They still conform to the command, company and squad markings though. I used a lot of 3d printed shoulder pads from Pop-goes-the-Monkey to make things easier, but I also bought some Raptor symbol decals from Chapter Customizer.
 Anyway, all that said please enjoy the fruits of my efforts. I am not the greatest photographer, so I hope the you forgive me some blurriness here or there. They're not too bad considering I am using a phone camera. More will follow and I'll improve with time.

Smashy-Smash Captain! 
 I always said I wouldn't be that guy. Well, Pop-goes-the-Monkey made me rethink that with their conversion kit. I used this model as the basis for a Chapter Approved 2018 Special Character for my army.
gallery_181961_16325_18176.jpg
gallery_181961_16326_314679.jpg
gallery_181961_16326_144522.jpg
gallery_181961_16325_642370.jpg

Gravis Captain
 I had to make some changes. I lost the goofy hood and plated up his junk with some armor and a tabard sculpted from green stuff. I got rid of the reliquary and bones BS because of the Raptor's fluff about their original homeworld and most of their relics being rubbed out by Abaddon in some black business. This is why  I am keeping relics and older tech to a minimum across the army.
gallery_181961_16325_330650.jpg
gallery_181961_16325_230624.jpg
gallery_181961_16325_238838.jpg
gallery_181961_16325_44488.jpg

Lieutenant Beaky

This conversion was a little more work, but the base model was so dynamic it was a joy to work with.

gallery_181961_16325_40170.jpg
gallery_181961_16325_263927.jpg
[gallery_181961_16325_30879.jpg

Intercessor Veterans, Squad I
 These guys are all kit-bash conversions. There are Reiver parts, "easy to build" Intercessor bits in there and parts from Forge World. Some green stuff here and there. The power fist is an old one from the assault marines kit I think. I used a cable from a lascannon to connect it to the shoulder under the shoulder pad and resculpted the elbow. Shame you can't tell in the picture. wallbash.gif
[gallery_181961_16325_2809.jpg

Intercessors, Squad II

Basic squad right from the box. These guys were the first models I painted in this army. I had only planned on making a Raptors Kill team...

gallery_181961_16325_157857.jpg

Intercessors, Squad III

Again, right from the box with the exception of the thunder hammer from forge world. This is the squad where I transitioned from painting on the company markings to using decals. Just Time savings really, I prefer the look of the hand painted ones on the earlier squads. It was more like each individual Marine was painting on his designations.

gallery_181961_16325_101413.jpg

Eliminators, Squad VII
 Incorporating the kit basing materials into the mechanicus bases was a challenge, but once I settled on a rubble/junk combo it got easier. I think it makes more sense anyway. They'd be hugging the more damaged sections of the battlegrid for cover. These are the worst pictures of the lot, I apologize for the fuzziness. When I go back to take some shots of my current project, I'll get new ones of these guys.
gallery_181961_16325_92407.jpg
gallery_181961_16325_188000.jpg

Reivers, Squad IX

Nothing but the kit parts. You know, except the shoulder pads.

gallery_181961_16325_250018.jpg

Edited by Master Issodon, 01 June 2020 - 01:45 PM.

• ToyShip, Centurion Jay, Pork Chop Express and 7 others like this

My Raptors Adeptus Astartes:

http://www.bolterand...tors-v-company/

Yosef Hausakluif

Yosef Hausakluif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts
  • Faction: Too many to list!
Working on Raptors myself, and have struggled with what color to make the eye lenses. Black sounds like a good choice! Love the cape on the Gravis Capt. and the shield on the smash capt. Both really nice details!!
  • Master Issodon likes this

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Thanks for the compliments. Next up I will be adding a couple squads of scout snipers.

Interrogator Stobz

Interrogator Stobz

++ VILICUS PISCARIAM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,124 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels since RT.
Nice work!
Don't be afraid to add higher res pics though, it'll help us see all your good work better.

Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave.

gallery_48988_15465_19298.pngETL_2013_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifETL_Medal_06.gifsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png

Stobz'z DAngles

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,666 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Fine works.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
Thanks guys. I am going to buy a decent camera and retake all these in the future.
  • Interrogator Stobz likes this

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

++ CANTOR ARDENS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,079 posts
  • Faction: Forces of the Imperium
Good looking Raptors!

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Ok, So to get bigger pictures in, I had to break up the first post. Here follows the bigger stuff.

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought
 This was originally part of my old 4th/5th edition space marine army. I repainted and rebased him. Swapped out his right arm for an assault cannon. This was my first attempt at OSL glowing eyes. I can see they need to be brighter. Ah, the things you only see on camera.

gallery_181961_16325_312380.jpggallery_181961_16325_295723.jpggallery_181961_16325_110247.jpggallery_181961_16325_277456.jpg

Venerable Dreadnought
 I love Dreadnoughts. Who doesn't right? I supposed the player with the tank that just detonated with a squad of guys inside. I wanted to tell a story with this model's base. The gore spattered, graffiti daubed militarum equipment I hope gets the viewer to imagine what kind of mess is laying on the ground just "off-camera". Raptors enthusiasts will notice the old colors on the badge between his legs. I like to imagine this guy was a brand new initiate battle brother at the time of the loss of the Raptors' first home world. His first battle plate was probably the old blue and yellow. That's how I justify to myself having venerable ancient Dreadnoughts in an army that is supposed to be short on relics. Even so, I tried to tone down the ornate quality by building it with the most plain "MkV" parts in the kit and then removing even more decorations by modifying the leg armor and Lascannon arm. The plain-Jane missile launcher from the standard kit helps too. 

gallery_181961_16325_287275.jpggallery_181961_16325_205101.jpggallery_181961_16325_236745.jpggallery_181961_16325_77762.jpg

Land Speeder Tempest
 Is there a vehicle that says "Raptors!!!" more? Maybe, but I'll tell you what, turbo boost ram-jet goodness is fun. Admittedly it can't absorb a lot of punishment but that's shooting your opponent isn't doing somewhere else. In games with my friends this thing has become known as the "2 pump chump". He zips in, kills 2 models (yes every time, only two) and then promptly explodes. It's entertaining and a nice model, so I guess it's a wash.

gallery_181961_16325_148734.jpggallery_181961_16325_8880.jpggallery_181961_16325_49642.jpggallery_181961_16325_68418.jpg

Edited by Master Issodon, 29 May 2020 - 09:16 PM.

• ToyShip, Centurion Jay, Cruor Vault and 5 others like this

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Stalker ( A cool looking one)
 Ok, so interestingly (to me at least) I built this as a VDR vehicle back in 2009 or 10. The space marines of 4th/5th editions didn't have anything like a Hydra, and my best friend was scratch building a Hell Talon. The Hell Talon never got built, and this guy got primed and left in a box until a couple months ago. It is Razorback kit, with parts from a Vindicator and some scratch built frontal armor. The dozer blade is forge world. The quad autocannon is from the defense line kit with brass rods to lengthen the barrels. The two storm bolters are just because it looks cool. In open play I use it as it is, with the quad guns counting as accelerator autocannon. In matched play, it's a Stalker.
gallery_181961_16325_204246.jpggallery_181961_16325_297597.jpggallery_181961_16325_14785.jpg

Repulsor Executioner "Dauntless"
 The reason I hate Las-Predators. Yes It's got the firepower of an entire army, but one tank a third of it's cost can and will take her down in one turn of good rolling. Talk about demoralizing. Just the same, if your able to protect it and take advantage of it's range it's one of the scariest things on the table.
 A canny observer will note the rather large missile pod on the turret. I thought the kit Icarus rocket pod was ridiculously tiny. I scratch built this one using the kit part and some other bits from my box and part of an X-Wing's laser cannon. I moved all the frag launcher boxes to a rack I built on the frontal armor to clean up the tank's profile and I think it worked despite the missile pod.

gallery_181961_16325_278185.jpggallery_181961_16325_445809.jpggallery_181961_16325_302539.jpggallery_181961_16325_219102.jpg

• ToyShip, Centurion Jay, Pork Chop Express and 6 others like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,666 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent works. I like your "counts as a" Stalker better than Games Workshop's design- the Rhino chassis is TOO SMALL for two Icarus stormcannons, PLUS their ammo, PLUS their individual gunners and their stations, PLUS two auspex sets so the stormcannons can actually hit their targets.

The Repulsor Executioner looks great. I think Games Workshop made a mistake in claiming the confused mess of missile launchers they stuck on the turret, were offensive weapons, as the missiles look too small. Better to claim the missile launchers are part of an active protection system, meant to launch interceptors against incoming missiles and artillery shells, and/or smoke and chaff decoys to prevent the enemy from successfully targeting the Repulsor with lascannons and other weapons whose shots can't be intercepted.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Excellent works. I like your "counts as a" Stalker better than Games Workshop's design- the Rhino chassis is TOO SMALL for two Icarus stormcannons, PLUS their ammo, PLUS their individual gunners and their stations, PLUS two auspex sets so the stormcannons can actually hit their targets.

The Repulsor Executioner looks great. I think Games Workshop made a mistake in claiming the confused mess of missile launchers they stuck on the turret, were offensive weapons, as the missiles look too small. Better to claim the missile launchers are part of an active protection system, meant to launch interceptors against incoming missiles and artillery shells, and/or smoke and chaff decoys to prevent the enemy from successfully targeting the Repulsor with lascannons and other weapons whose shots can't be intercepted.

Thanks, I appreciate your compliments. Especially about the stalker. biggrin.png 

I think a couple of the boxes they tacked onto the Repulsor's turret were supposed to be an active missile defense system, but the others were the frag launchers. It does make more sense to have the "Auto-launchers" on the turret, I just thought it looked stupid. I liked the idea of the tank just plowing straight into the enemy line and unleashing a salvo of frag grenades. I was of a similar mind to you with the Icarus rockets, that's why I built an actual missile pod from scratch for them.  Anti-air missiles would be much longer for more propellant than the dinky missiles that come in the kit.

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,307 posts

Mmmm, delicious olive green marines... Seriously, excellent work, definately gonna keep an eye on here.

Love all the little alterations you've done.

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Mmmm, delicious olive green marines... Seriously, excellent work, definately gonna keep an eye on here.

Love all the little alterations you've done.

Thank you! I try to keep the conversion work subtle and make practical, small design changes to better reflect the chapter's stated nature of dour pragmatism. Overall the aggregate effect is a unified army style. I hope so anyways.

Edited by Master Issodon, 30 May 2020 - 12:29 PM.

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,332 posts
  • Faction: Raptors/ Grey Knights/ Sisters
Damn fine Raptors Army you have there MI!

ToyShip

ToyShip

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 473 posts

Such an inspirational army! Truly gorgeous. The subtle tweaks are well thought out and add alot.

gallery_13174_16604_58893.png

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Damn fine Raptors Army you have there MI!

Such an inspirational army! Truly gorgeous. The subtle tweaks are well thought out and add alot.

Thank you both very much.

• war009 likes this

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

New Photos!

This is my Primaris Lieutenant conversion. He started as a Hellblaster body.

gallery_181961_16325_480288.jpggallery_181961_16325_138331.jpg

gallery_181961_16325_156564.jpg

gallery_181961_16325_182093.jpg

gallery_181961_16325_820057.jpg

• Sandalphon, war009, Bjorn Firewalker and 1 other like this

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,445 posts
  • Faction: Revenants Chapter

That armour is so smooth and blended it looks like fudge. Where's the helmet from?

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

That armour is so smooth and blended it looks like fudge. Where's the helmet from?

Thank you. His helm is from the Venerable Dreadnought kit. 

Inquisitor lorr

Inquisitor lorr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts
Amazing work on all of them. They look brilliant!
Do you mind sharing your recipe for the green?

Edited by Inquisitor lorr, 28 July 2020 - 01:04 PM.

Yosef Hausakluif

Yosef Hausakluif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts
  • Faction: Too many to list!
Detail on that arm computer auspex is unreal!!!

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

++ CANTOR ARDENS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,079 posts
  • Faction: Forces of the Imperium

Can't wait to see a group shot of these!

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,332 posts
  • Faction: Raptors/ Grey Knights/ Sisters
So nice

Edited by war009, 01 August 2020 - 12:05 PM.

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Amazing work on all of them. They look brilliant!
Do you mind sharing your recipe for the green?

I just use Vallejo Model Air 71.012 Dark Green for the base color and then shade it with Army Painter Dark Tone wash. I then clean up with the base color and progressively mix in greater amounts of Khaki as I build up highlights till the final, very tiniest highlight of pure Khaki. Then I glaze it with a green ink mix that is very light. I do several applications of glaze as and where necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users