New PA Engine War Range - What are you excited for?

What are the thoughts on Sulphur Hounds vs Raiders?

First I was Sulphur all day, but now seeing the rules I think I prefer the Pteraxi for the same job and Raiders don't look as bad as I thought...

I'm all about the Raiders. Brilliant harassment/troll unit. I love moving before the game starts and they can move if someone declares a charge for 2cp.

Kind of sorts the delivery problem but they now suffer from yesterdays model syndrome, why take them when you have all these new things. I do like these new models but some of them really do fix problems that we never had or could of been fixed with tweeks to existing models. Infiltrators are pretty much replaced by Skystalkers and Rustalkers are replaced with Sterylizors.

So can anyone come up with a reason to take any of the flyers besides the rule is cool?

Transporting 6 little dudes doesn't seem super needed given the amount of DS available and forge world if you really want a priest blob in the back line.

The strafing run strat is very nice for a potential character snipe using twin Las cannons but screening is still a huge problem per the aura discussion above.

The bomber is interesting to slow a unit every turn and be annoying, but will have very low damage output.

The chaff launcher is good, but so expensive.

I'm not sure how any of the above fits rather than being displaced by the other new toys.

For anti tank/big scary the new disintegrator strat is so tasty, though I didn't get a look at the CP cost yet. Mars canticle, hit on 2+, ignore cover. So mobile, so killy.

Well after finally finding the Sulphurhound leak I will safely say the winners between the two kits are the Raiders.  They're still good, sharing the 12" move, just not as effective at trolling the hell out of our opponents as the Raiders can do.  The phospor carbine is sweet being a Str5 AP-1 and Assualt 4, but being 15pts each hurts.  Granted each model that isn't the Alpha is pumping out 2+d6 str4 ap-1 pistol shots that they can fire off even after advancing is still good.

The only annoyance for me is the Alpha who is stuck with the blast pistol and power maul putting him at a non negotiable 25pts according to the book

I think I like one bomber for the slow and the aura removal. The flamers seem like a good CC unit and the dog rangers for Character removal. There are definitely better versions of each of the dual kits. I really wish the Dunecrawler would be made more reliable as right now its submarines all day.

Also be wary that the points might be wrong... Again. Apparently the heavy Phosphor is now 0 points which is not right unless you want Bots all over the battlefield.

Edited by Black_Knight

I think I like one bomber for the slow and the aura removal. The flamers seem like a good CC unit and the dog rangers for Character removal. There are definitely better versions of each of the dual kits. I really wish the Dunecrawler would be made more reliable as right now its submarines all day.

Honestly the only way I could see the Dunecrawlers making a resurgence is if they gave us back squadrons of them, or at the very least pairing them.  Along with the overlapping Invuln save stopping at a 4+ would help tip people to using them again.  Cause yeah the Skorp is far more consistent as a single model.

Kind of sorts the delivery problem but they now suffer from yesterdays model syndrome, why take them when you have all these new things. I do like these new models but some of them really do fix problems that we never had or could of been fixed with tweeks to existing models. Infiltrators are pretty much replaced by Skystalkers and Rustalkers are replaced with Sterylizors.

A) because they have cool models

B) They are a much cheaper unit.

C) They can cause mortal wounds so can potentially help in taking out the last wounds off a knight.

D) tge new units are so expensive to buy it's gonna be hard to justify getting 6 dogs AND 10 flyboys...

So can anyone come up with a reason to take any of the flyers besides the rule is cool?

Transporting 6 little dudes doesn't seem super needed given the amount of DS available and forge world if you really want a priest blob in the back line.

The strafing run strat is very nice for a potential character snipe using twin Las cannons but screening is still a huge problem per the aura discussion above.

The bomber is interesting to slow a unit every turn and be annoying, but will have very low damage output.

The chaff launcher is good, but so expensive.

I'm not sure how any of the above fits rather than being displaced by the other new toys.

For anti tank/big scary the new disintegrator strat is so tasty, though I didn't get a look at the CP cost yet. Mars canticle, hit on 2+, ignore cover. So mobile, so killy.

Super durable for the points, very maneuverable, good damage. I wouldn't use the transport.

Stratoraptor or Bomber are brilliant. What makes you say they have low damage output? They are around 100 points and could easily earn that back in a turn or two.

Edited by Ishagu

A) because they have cool models

:cool.: They are a much cheaper unit.

C) They can cause mortal wounds so can potentially help in taking out the last wounds off a knight.

D) tge new units are so expensive to buy it's gonna be hard to justify getting 6 dogs AND 10 flyboys...

Definitely agree on the prices, they are horrible.

Some quick thoughts, I did see a review up on YouTube, Auspex Tactics is the channel name. He has a good calming British accent too, so when I started watching last night I actually fell asleep. Picked it up again this morning it’s really just a quick overview of units in the book. I thought it was well done.

I will remain Stygies, or sometimes Lucius. I’ve resisted Mars for a while, but will most definitely be picking up Cawl to give that a try every now and then. Especially with the new canticle.

My thoughts on the new units one large unit of the ranger hound riders, one or two small units of the sterilizer Flyboys, and at least one copter, going for the bomber.

With Stygies, I can make free moves with my ranger riders, as well as use the strat to move other units forward, I’ll probably push dragoons and or a transport with stick priests. This would give me some immediate forward board control, and if I lose my transport I can pop the Strat to get my stick boys out. That’s almost like a free move of 3 inches in my enemies shooting phase and makes a charge much more likely. Also with Stygies canticle and hound move when charged strat I think this forward advance will have some mobility and options.

The flyboys will be used to tie up backfield units or to drop in as needed to bolster a weak point or seize an objective. They are a threat in melee and many of our canticles help us in melee. I’m excited for this unit.

I would follow this up with an advance of my Kataphron and vanguard units, with the backfield held by ranger units. I’ll probably always use both the tech priest doimnus and the Manipulus as warlords with the free warlord strat for 1 cp.

I believe the copter may not be quite that attractive in this addition, however the information we have is flyers will be able to move much more freely in the new addition, as well as being able to leave the board and return. Hopefully this will allow us to lineup bombing runs and hit units with our slow down strat.

The new Strat to give -2 AP to the jazz hand priests is also interesting. I don’t have any of those though.

I like the new warlord traits, and will definitely probably always choose the one that allows extra hits.

Finally, I’m not really sure where my robots or infiltrators will fall in the scheme of things. I do know I will be using my onagers but plan on getting more of the Scorpius tanks. I currently have two unbuilt and will make one a transport. I love the onagers and think the Icarus array may be my go to in the new edition.

Super durable for the points, very maneuverable, good damage. I wouldn't use the transport.

Stratoraptor or Bomber are brilliant. What makes you say they have low damage output? They are around 100 points and could easily earn that back in a turn or two.

Low damage from the bomber given the reality of the bombing mechanic.

The stratoraptor can put in some work, but it's not cheap once you pay for the guns and a chaff launcher ~130-140 I think. It's doable for a flyer for sure, but I cannot see it out performing a submarine especially with the Mars canticle.

Given how flyers work and it's weapons load out if negative to hit stacking remains a thing it could be hilarious using one with Styges so there's that.

But compared to the disintegrator with Mars canticle the break point of the guns is much less useful.

On the disintegrator you go from 7/8 to 8/9 which are both great break points. On the flyer you go 6/9 to 7/10 which is much less useful.

Still waiting on the Knight leak, but a lot of mates on the competitive side are looking at 30 sterylizers straight off the bat.

Huh find that surprising.  Coming in at 89 points, it seems like that would have to be quite picky with their targets to ever be points efficient.  I am of a mind a single unit of them is probably good, MAYBE 2 but that feels like you will be struggling to find suitable targets against certain matchups.  Its a pretty poor use to have them drop and kill a 10 man cultist or guard squad as an example.  Against primaris they might kill 2?  While they have reasonable melee, I don't want to have to rely on making a 9" charge for the unit to have a CHANCE to be points efficient.  Doesn't seem like the type of unit I would invest in if I was heavily into the competitive side.  My personal feelings at present is the skystalkers will have the best chance at being viable, especially as mars.  Sterylizors seem like an option you might include 1 of just to hunt a char or high value single wound squad.

hermanista one of the Team Wales guys has said the raiders will see some use because of the redeploy shenanigans and they are looking at the sulphurhounds to see how they can be included. They also seem to think the copter is seriously points efficient, but in cash money terms? Not so much :biggrin.:

I’m curious to know what happened to the IK leaks. As well as all the YouTube folks doing reviews of engine war.

It seemed a bit strange that neither of these surfaced over the weekend.

Really really hoping imperial knights get some help with tau. As it stands this is a match I often just can’t win

On the reviewer front, Hellstorm said that they were never sent copies to review.

I assume GW coming out of lockdown played havoc for the opportunity to send things out.

As for the IK, that is annoying as I'm chomping at the bit for it. Apparently not hugely game breaking though.

Finally watched the AT vid last night (albeit a little late) and gotta say it looks like we got some nice things still getting my head round it all though

Can someone confirm how the warlorld traits now work/how many you can take - as im a bit confused with it

I currently run my warlord with prime hermeticon (rerolls in combat for my priests/breachers) and then pay for a field commander who has the servitor maniple stuff.

Can I keep this and then use that new 'pay 1CP for another WL trait) to ALSO have one of the the new 3x traits in there? 

Cos if so my line of -1 to hit stygies breachers now getting a 5+ FNP on top of their 5++ is gonna be pretty horrible 

Data hoard custom forge also seems like it will be fun (I already run lots of onangers/breachers):

5++/6+FNP Onagers

3+/5++/5+FNP Breachers (potentially going to a 4++ with strats) doing extras hits on 5s, potentially hitting on 2s with daedolus and strat and rerolling 1s.

The servitors replacing those breachers also get 5+ FNP

The rad saturated forge looks like it would be fun to use with massed vanguard - quasi T4 and tons of AP-1 carbines could be fun.

Mars/Cawl castle seems very strong but i find playing castles boring and dont own cawl, so at the moment very much looking at more how to use what I have more than buying new things.

They're obviously seeing something with them being team England and Wales Teams players.

The redeployment being part of it iirc

Id imagine the idea would be:

Drop in 3 units turn one, fry infantry/small arms stuff, if you tie an infantry unit in combat even better.

Opponents turn they now either have to dedicate fire to getting rid of all 3 units - which depending what you've just fried may be difficult (or send in CC units to deal with those who have tied down infantry). 

There's nothing I can see stopping units in combat flying away (its just done at the start of your movement) so you then arent tied into combat T2 and can flee, combing back in to a more cleared board T3.

I dont play ITC but from what ive seen 'kill more' is important (which if you can remove 3 of your units from the table to prevent them even being targeted - great), as is being able to score points on things like recon (and just the regular drop in to score objectives/clear infantry off objectives where needed).

Edited by DanPesci