New PA Engine War Range - What are you excited for?

Is there some way to let the Pteraxii perform a heroic intervention?

Just asking because it is meantioned in the claws rules, might be something for 9th though...

Not at the moment.

I've got the following preordered:

2X raiders

1X flyboys (sterilizors)

1X copter

1X rulebook

I'll go to my FLGS and pick up another set of raiders and a dunerider tomorrow.

My goal is to push forward a dunerider with priests, 2X dragoons, and my raiders first turn. The rest of my army will follow including 6 breachers, vanguard, and onagers/non-los duneriders. Characters will include my manipulus and TPD for support, as well as deadolosus. Sterilizors and or infiltrators for turn 2-3 deployment as needed.

Depending on the success or lack thereof I'll consider changing my plan.

Only got the rulebook and the flyer. Just have to locate that damaged devilfish for the conversion I'm planning.

I hope it's Stygies, and I hope it's stolen reclaimed Xenos technology.

That actually sounds ace. Both conversion wise and the head cannon for why ☺️

Just had a thought, S8 Snipers with the Mars Canticle. Wounding most characters on a 2+ instead of a 3+ is going to be so useful.

I find my arqebus also really usefuly for taking that last couple wounds/bracket off vehicles if there are no characters in LOS, so doing that on 3/4s no rather than 4/5 is also really nice.

I dont play mars but out of all the canticle affected heavy weapons id love to be able to do S8 arqebus in my stygies list (I run 6)

Also if you happen to have raiders running about, character heavy armies will really hate you

Holy cow... the Strats! 

The Strats reinforce my thoughts on the flyers.... I know the Fusilave (Bomber) is not popular on the interwebs right now, but I like it best. I can see zooming across the board, and the bombs are really good at chipping super heavies, or going after blobs of elites. (Hello Possessed Bomb)

On top of that for 1 CP we can half movement, and charges. I'll tell you as an Admech player going second against super assaulty units this is HUGE, but the downside is it can't hit Fly so Blood Angels are still a massive issue.

Yet another great Strat (which I know was revealed) is after the above bombing run, I'll be parking right by Shadow Sun and shutting her aura off for a turn.  

I think the other castles will be pretty good at keeping a model away to shut that down.... but still this means to me that any of the flyers should have a role but the Bomber (Fusilave) is still my top pick regardless of how unpopular it is right now, I see it as being a very fun, dynamic unit that AdMech just don't have anything like it until now.

++++++++++++

Also seeing some great stuff... IF I haven't said it enough, my 3 Skorpius' have been the only thing I feel that's saved my army in the past year in my meta. Seeing the 1 Cp Strat for them is amazing.

How about that 0 CP strat to prevent casualties from a destryed Dunerider!!! 

I think its to only allow it once per round, you only get to use it once in the competitive field.

I thought the bomber aura removal simply made the buffs not have any effect so it doesn't matter if the buffing model is out of range, it effects the models with the buff themselves so in theory if you cover 4 models in a 10 model unit those 4 models loose the aura. You do not need to chase the character? Or am I getting that wrong?

As far as the vehicle exploding that was my thought as well.... this is a mechanism that allows it to happen once per turn.

I don't think so, it says that the aura has no effect. That to me is that any model with the aura has the aura but it doesn't effect the model.

So this is not so straight forward. I can see it both ways however the wording is:

"Until the start of your next turn, enemy model aura 'abilities' have no effect whilst within 6" of that unit."

To me, I could see this either way....but I think characters that project auras possess an Aura Ability.  Units that are within an Aura range, receive its effects. 

So if you're shutting off a Character's Aura, it would make sense to refer to it as 'shutting off that ability'. 

If you're shutting off the recipients ability to receive those benefits, I would refer to it as 'shutting off an effect'.

It's worth noting that there is a mention of 'models' instead of 'units' as well.

Again I could see it either way.

"Until the start of your next turn, enemy model aura 'abilities' have no effect whilst within 6" of that unit."

That to me means the ability has no effect for a model that's in range so if you had a conga line from across the board the aura has no effect on the models in range of the flyer, but any models further than 6 have it take effect. Seems pretty black and white to me on that one. It never mentions the buffing model just that the ability has no effect on the model in question. If you were at the very edge of the range you could have 4 models with the aura but the rest(inside the bubble) with it but having no effect.

All Auras are abilities that grant a buff to a model within a range that is bigger than the model itself(usually 6"). When that ability has no effect, it no longer grants the buff on the model. The character doesn't have to be in range of the model just the unit.

Edited by Black_Knight

Seems pretty black and white to me on that one. 

Well fair enough. I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just simple.

I need you to apply your understanding of this strat to a situation to clean this up for me. Here's the scenario.

A ----- 5"----- Character------3"Archeopter-----3" B.

Hopefully this makes sense:

-We have squad A. They are within 5" of a character who possesses a 6" aura. 

-3" away from that character we have our aura disrupting Archeocopter. 

-3" further away from that we have Squad B which is also benefiting from "Character's" aura.

In this scenario, who gets the benefit of "Character's" aura? 

Thanks.

Edited by Prot

We have to try and figure out what the rules writers were trying to achieve. Do you think they wanted some thing as granular as turning off specific models within the aura of effect of the bomber?

Or do you think they went with a much more simple turn off the abilities of models, most likely characters, within the bombers radius?

I’d think the second.

You also have to think why they would give a suppression rule that the Character can easily move out of the very next turn making the stratagem completely useless. Perhaps they realised that trying to capture a character for a turn in a 6" bubble was pretty much impossible so decided to have the effect occur of the models receiving it instead so as to guarantee a turn of no auras, therefore offering some kind of area denial mechanic.

Well fair enough. I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just simple.

I need you to apply your understanding of this strat to a situation to clean this up for me. Here's the scenario.

A ----- 5"----- Character------3"Archeopter-----3" B.

Hopefully this makes sense:

-We have squad A. They are within 5" of a character who possesses a 6" aura. 

-3" away from that character we have our aura disrupting Archeocopter. 

-3" further away from that we have Squad B which is also benefiting from "Character's" aura.

In this scenario, who gets the benefit of "Character's" aura? 

Thanks.

A, the auras are cancelled on B and the Character itself. You are not dum Prot, the rules in this book especially have been written by someone trying to make things simple while making them utterly impossible to understand without an FAQ(One of the rules for the cavalry is missing all the commas). The way it is written right now is a logic puzzle and different to how things have worked before. I am reading the exact logic of the wording rather than assuming it works like everything before it. 

If I wanted it to turn off a characters buff like suggested, I would write it that any auras of characters within 6" have no effect, that is specifically different to what is written. Now question is what is the rule as intended?

Edited by Black_Knight

I think RAW its confusing, but would agree with brother_b that RAI its "if you are within 6" of whatever model/unit is casting the bubble, it gets shut off"

The units receiving the ability don't have an 'aura ability' or an 'aura' themselves, only the unit casting the bubble does (and the effected unit is simply within this aura) 

You also have to think why they would give a suppression rule that the Character can easily move out of the very next turn making the stratagem completely useless

Because you can use it to shut down defensive auras on your turn, or force a character to move where you, not your opponent want them to be (e.g. do you want to stay on that objective or do you want to get you aura)

Its certainly situational but far from useless.

If I wanted it to turn off a characters buff like suggested, I would write it that any auras of characters within 6" have no effect, that is specifically different to what is written. Now question is what is the rule as intended?

I think the reason it doesnt say 'character' is that there are some non-character units that also have bubbles (e.g. wulfen)

P.s. I fully agree an FAQ is needed on this, 

What will be interesting to see is how the new flyer rules work - a lot of people have said that (if you do indeed have to chase characters), then its near impossible to do cos you can screen/just move 6" away - but if flyer bases no longer block infantry, (and presumably vice versa??)...  how does this work 'placing' a flyer over models? (do you pick all the infantry up and put it on the flyer base??). 

Edited by DanPesci

Only got the rulebook and the flyer. Just have to locate that damaged devilfish for the conversion I'm planning.

I hope it's Stygies, and I hope it's stolen reclaimed Xenos technology.

That actually sounds ace. Both conversion wise and the head cannon for why ☺️

Well considering the fact that my skatrii are armed with stolen tau weapons, I also dislike the divinci aesthetic of the flyer. So I'm swapping the wings for the devilfish engines and need to figure out a replacement for the tail.

On that front I found and was dismayed in that the engines were way too wrecked to salvage. So I'm going to hunt down a fresh pair.

Not going to be the most expensive wreck I'm going to make, but it's going to be up there.

(For 40K, let's not talk about what I've managed irl)

I think since people are generally changing their answer on this question it proves my belief that an FAQ clarity is necessary. So I've put the original question in the rules forum and if you want to continue that conversation, please do it there, so we can can continue talking about the new PA content here! Thank you.

As far as the PA content itself, I have to say more than ever I feel the rules are really the big thing here. I've had a chance to pour over them and my Mars army is quite happy... even if we are about 2-3 months away from an edition change which is sure to shake it all up again!

They have given us a unit that has two roles, harass characters and also intercept/counter charge. I think where these things were available to use before(Arquebus), our new dogs are going to be a lot better just because they are still doing something even if they fail to do one of the above jobs.

We now have multiple heavy weapons platforms to deal with chaff/T5+ and heavy vehicles. We have delivery methods to get our models into combat and finally we have a counter charge that can be deployed on mass and intercept enemies. We are really strong right now until they cock it all up with the points changes. They only thing we need now is a dedicated melee character, we even have the charge range buffs. A batwinged, chaplain skitarii, it could be glorious!

But dam the prices, the reason people didn't flood the board with chickens when they were excellent was because they were too pricey and now the dogs are even worse.

So I just went to the FLGS while awaiting my pre-order. I picked up an extra box of hounds and an extra box of flyboys. With one pot of paint the cost was about $130 USD with tax. Now, I try and buy every now and then from the FLGS, but they offer only a 1 cent discount. Without ebay and online sellers I would not be able to afford this game.

With that purchase of hounds I'll have a total of 9... I hope it was worth the $$$$$$$, I feel it's going to be amazing! No more hobby $ for me this year though.

Gees... good for you, but I can't afford that right now with all the uncertainty. I do appreciate how fantastic the new models look. I was just trying to make the point that (thankfully) I don't think you need them to compete. This fleshing out of the rules goes deep into the existing units and I'm really happy about that.