1000pt Scions + Knight - newbie looking for feedback

Hi all,

Returning to 40k after many years. Looking to run a reasonably effective Scions + Knight list. Not bought anything yet, want to get a decent plan before committing to purchase.

Conceptually there are 3 elements:

• troop scions in Tauroxes grabbing objectives

• disposable plasma command squad(s) deep striking to kill priority targets (keys to armoury=reroll 1s + orders to reroll wounds)

• Knight Warden drawing fire and shooting/stomping stuff as required

Any and all feedback welcome.

There's a couple of specific Qs I was thinking about as well:

• Do I run 2xdeep-striking plasma command squads (as below), or just 1? could remove 1x command squad to give all 3 troop squads 2xplasma gun and 1xplasma pistol

• Is there a better choice for the Knight house? I don't get tradition cos it's in Super Aux detachment, so I was basing the choice mainly from Raven's order of companions stratagem (re-roll 1s during shooting) - thought it would mesh well with Endless Fury

Thank you!

Scions1000pt_draft (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [56 PL, 1,000pts]

• Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [33 PL, 589pts]
    • Configuration
      • Regimental Doctrine

Selections: 133rd Lambdan Lions

• HQ
      • Tempestor Prime [3 PL, 35pts]

Selections: Display Astra Militarum Orders, Hot-shot Laspistol

• Tempestor Prime [3 PL, 40pts]

Selections: Display Astra Militarum Orders, Tempestus Command Rod

• Troops
      • Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 36pts]
        • 4x Scion

Selections: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Hot-shot Lasgun

• Tempestor

Selections: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

• Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 35pts]
        • 4x Scion

• Tempestor

Selections: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

• Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 35pts]
        • 4x Scion

• Tempestor

Selections: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

• Elites
      • Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL, 80pts]
        • Tempestus Scion

Selections: Plasma gun

• Tempestus Scion

• Tempestus Scion

• Tempestus Scion

• Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL, 80pts]
        • Tempestus Scion

• Tempestus Scion

• Tempestus Scion

• Tempestus Scion

• Dedicated Transport
      • Taurox Prime [6 PL, 132pts]

Selections: Heavy Stubber, Taurox Missile Launcher, Two Autocannons

• Taurox Prime [6 PL, 116pts]

Selections: Heavy Stubber, Taurox Gatling Cannon, Two Hot-shot Volley Guns

• Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [23 PL, 411pts]
    • Configuration
      • Household Choice

Selections: Questor Mechanicus

• House Raven
    • Lord of War
      • Knight Warden [23 PL, 411pts]

Selections: Character (Knight Lance), Heavy Stubber, Heirloom: Endless Fury, Thunderstrike gauntlet, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Ion Bulwark

• Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer

Selections: Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer

Edited by duz_
Removed odd formatting for mobile skin readability

• 2 weeks later...

I've never played at all, still painting up my boys.  I just thought I'd give you some feedback since it's been over 10 days since you posted and you haven't gotten any responses.

I note that most people pair guardsmen with knights, probably because they're more survivable since you can buy a ton of them.  So it seems like you should lean more towards a "boys over toys" approach even though your models are more expensive to begin with.  Since you have the deep strike, I'd drop the Tauroxes and go for either ten-man squads or spam five-man squads, or a mix of both.  I also like plasma on the troops squads because it seems like it gives them more punch.  I think it's better to have all your squads be the same to give your army more resilience.  Maybe some vanilla 10-man squads and some 5-man squads with plasma?

I guess you can't really screen the knight with scions, but you can overwhelm your opponent with multiple targets.  That would be another reason to have all your guys outfitted the same.

I would field two ten-man squads with no upgrades and then as many 5-man squads with 2 plasma gun and plasma pistol as you can fit in.  I feel like the Command Rod is worth it too unless you're planning on pairing the laspistol Prime with one of the deep-striking squads.  Use your leftover points on your two 10-man squads or upgrade one or more squad to meltas.  You could also sub in one or two 4x plasma or melta command squad and consider it an upgrade to your 5-man squads.

Maybe you are planning on the Tauroxes drawing fire from your knight.  That makes sense, but I feel like you don't have the points available to fully take advantage of them, i.e. by filling them with 10-man squads with hopefully some upgrades.  You do lose a lot of long-range firepower but again you have deep strike.

Anyway that's my two unqualified cents.  I think your list has the problem of trying to do three things where it can only do two, so I would drop the Tauroxes and focus on having one big scary monster and a semi-precise blob of scary close-range firepower.  Then I would subdivide the blob into the part you need to survive and the part you can trade for your opponent's units.  Either that or all 5-man plasma.  That seems like it would be fun.

Edit: On second thought, you're limited to only 6 troop choices, so I would max them out and go from there.  The knight, 2 Primes with Command Rods and 6 10-man squads comes to 911 points, giving you space for a suicide command squad or a smattering of plasma for your troops squads.  I don't know if the knight upgrades are any good but that's another option.  You might even add two command squads with just platoon standards for the morale boost, although I don't know if that's as much of an issue for Scions as it is for guardsmen.

Edited by holydiver

• 2 weeks later...

So with Scions you have to remember that they are absolute glasscannons. If they don't wipe out what you point them at they will die to the return fire. You will not really win an objective holding game unless someone comes in equally elite.

A Knight is a good pairing for them, because he's big, scary and relatively durable. You should run him up and make sure he's in your opponents face.

For the Scions there's two ways, really. Squads embarked in your transports or in deep strike. Personay, unless you play against a very hordy opponent capable of screening you you out I would always put as many units in deep strike as you can, so half your army. The Taurox I would see less as transports and more as fast weapons platforms. Depending on the rest of your list they can work well as anti infantry or anti tank. As for how you should equip your troops...the standard response is as much Plasma as humanly possible. :P

However, the doctrines we got in PA really give a lot of options and flexibility, so it really depends on what Scion regiment you want to run.

Edited by sairence