Grey Knight Primaris

Skywrath

Question: If the GK primaris were to be released, (seeing how there is so much negative sentiment about primaris), would you get them?

The reason I ask is twofold: I build a lot of DA lists, and the options available to me are immense and the idea behind the list, entertaining. However when I try build a list with the GK, there aren't as many options to build a list that is not either a psycannon brigade or a paladin bomb. Personally I love the idea of fielding a few Doomglaive Dreadnoughts or Vortimer-Redeemers, so I would think adding primaris could enable different archetypes and more options. Also I do believe that the GK vehicle/troop aesthetic would be much different from the feel of the primaris one, perhaps being somewhere between Eldar/SM? (As signified by humanities transcendence from one state to another)?

The other thing that strikes me with Grey Knight primaris, is how would they work? They just don't seem to "mix" with the aesthetic of what it means to be a Grey Knight. The other units such as Aggressors/Reivers compliment the existing arsenal (assault squad/devastator in this case) in any SM chapter, while none of the units (well except the librarian) compliment our existing load-out. When someone asked the devs whether we would be getting primaris to our ranks, there was a cryptic response to the tune of: "Wait and see". Come to think of things, I haven't seen a primaris unit that is dedicated to psychic support (except for the librarian), so is it possible that there may be special primaris GK figurines exclusively for us?

Look forward to the speculation!

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

To answer your questions, I am confident that we’ll eventually get Primaris Grey Knights. The whole purpose of the Primaris endeavor is to slowly phase out all of the smaller Legacy Space Marine models (although they haven’t admitted that yet, for PR purposes). Clearly, they aren’t making any more new Firstborn models and units (outside of Forgeworld, that has all of their 30k stuff they’re still producing.)

The first two waves of Primaris (the initial release that came with 8e, then the second release with all of the Vanguard units) have been, understandably, plug and play units, intended to slot into every regular Chapter. They want these units to be able to proliferate through as many armies of the various Space Marine players as possible. You’ll notice that, with the exception of one or two named special characters, who have now crossed the Primaris Rubicon, that they haven’t yet started to release any Chapter-specific units. For example, there aren’t yet any DA, BA, or SW Primaris units that are unique to them, although each of these Chapters have historically all had many unique Firstborn units. These will eventually come, but not until the non Chapter specific releases are complete, and we still have, probably another wave or two of Primaris releases ahead of us for the “basic” stuff before they’re ready to transition their efforts toward the unique units. Certainly, the Marines are due those new Primaris Bikers, Land Speeders, and Tank that were seen in the blurry picture leak, at the least, before they’re ready.

There was a reason that Grey Knights are the only Chapter that hasn’t received any Primaris support yet, and that’s simply that our Chapter is unlike all of the others. We don’t use Tactical Squads (or Chapter specific variations, like Grey Hunters) so it makes no sense to give us Intercessors. They aren’t armed and equipped appropriately to combat the Daemonic.

When we eventually get our Primaris, which we will, they’ll come only when GW is ready to focus on the Chapter-specific stuff, and when they’re ready to tackle all of our needs. One positive aspect of our Chapter’s current limited model range, is that it can easily be replaced. We only have 2 boxed sets for the whole faction, after all. One of Power Armor, that serves for Strike, Purifier, Purgation, and Interceptor squads, and the Terminator Armor kit, that serves for generic Characters, Paladins, and Terminator squads. Thus, it will only require a couple new Primaris kits to suitably serve all of the Grey Knights needs.

I agree that we'll get Primaris "Everything", but for a much more cynical reason.

I think someone pointed out that if GW released everything "Primaris" at one time it would be a huge financial undertaking. If the announced a phased response, the sales of non-Primaris Marines would decline. Eventually forcing GW to rush everything out, again being a huge financial commitment. So a compromise of "a period" of dual sales was proposed. Could be years.

If that sounds like tin hat city.

Then i'm pretty sure there's a Sales director or shareholder that will ask every time they do a new edition or Marines codex "What new models are we releasing", probably because they know that drives great sales numbers. And over time Primaris X will become the answer.

Personally I'm now avoiding buying anything Marine related until this is concluded. 

Edited by Battle Brother Abderus

To answer your questions, I am confident that we’ll eventually get Primaris Grey Knights. The whole purpose of the Primaris endeavor is to slowly phase out all of the smaller Legacy Space Marine models (although they haven’t admitted that yet, for PR purposes). Clearly, they aren’t making any more new Firstborn models and units (outside of Forgeworld, that has all of their 30k stuff they’re still producing.)

The first two waves of Primaris (the initial release that came with 8e, then the second release with all of the Vanguard units) have been, understandably, plug and play units, intended to slot into every regular Chapter. They want these units to be able to proliferate through as many armies of the various Space Marine players as possible. You’ll notice that, with the exception of one or two named special characters, who have now crossed the Primaris Rubicon, that they haven’t yet started to release any Chapter-specific units. For example, there aren’t yet any DA, BA, or SW Primaris units that are unique to them, although each of these Chapters have historically all had many unique Firstborn units. These will eventually come, but not until the non Chapter specific releases are complete, and we still have, probably another wave or two of Primaris releases ahead of us for the “basic” stuff before they’re ready to transition their efforts toward the unique units. Certainly, the Marines are due those new Primaris Bikers, Land Speeders, and Tank that were seen in the blurry picture leak, at the least, before they’re ready.

There was a reason that Grey Knights are the only Chapter that hasn’t received any Primaris support yet, and that’s simply that our Chapter is unlike all of the others. We don’t use Tactical Squads (or Chapter specific variations, like Grey Hunters) so it makes no sense to give us Intercessors. They aren’t armed and equipped appropriately to combat the Daemonic.

When we eventually get our Primaris, which we will, they’ll come only when GW is ready to focus on the Chapter-specific stuff, and when they’re ready to tackle all of our needs. One positive aspect of our Chapter’s current limited model range, is that it can easily be replaced. We only have 2 boxed sets for the whole faction, after all. One of Power Armor, that serves for Strike, Purifier, Purgation, and Interceptor squads, and the Terminator Armor kit, that serves for generic Characters, Paladins, and Terminator squads. Thus, it will only require a couple new Primaris kits to suitably serve all of the Grey Knights needs.

I do wonder whether this will happen after the War of the Spider release. Seeing how it's been seen that Bile is farming Custodes for his own projects, imagine that the Grey Knights Primaris were released as a response, as unlikely as that sounds. I can't really explain the connection there, but it just seems plausible to me, somehow. 

I agree that we'll get Primaris "Everything", but for a much more cynical reason.

I think someone pointed out that if GW released everything "Primaris" at one time it would be a huge financial undertaking. If the announced a phased response, the sales of non-Primaris Marines would decline. Eventually forcing GW to rush everything out, again being a huge financial commitment. So a compromise of "a period" of dual sales was proposed. Could be years.

If that sounds like tin hat city.

Then i'm pretty sure there's a Sales director or shareholder that will ask every time they do a new edition or Marines codex "What new models are we releasing", probably because they know that drives great sales numbers. And over time Primaris X will become the answer.

Personally I'm now avoiding buying anything Marine related until this is concluded. 

Very likely. But I'll finish building my Grey Knight army, regardless of how soon the release is as I personally find them pretty damn fun on the table-top!

I doubt it would be so soon, as to follow closely on the heels of War of the Spider. As I mentioned earlier they’ve still got another wave or two of new “core” Primaris units to get out first.

Whenever the Grey Knights finally do start getting their Primaris units, I’m sure we’ll get some tie-in to the current fluff as it continues to evolve. Probably some combination of a breakthrough in the technology/process to transition existing Grey Knights across the Primaris Rubicon, as well as the revelation that they’ve been snatching up most of the Primaris individuals who’ve been demonstrating Psyker potential over the last few hundred years (leaving a few behind to populate the Librarius of regular Chapters), and testing and trading them in secret.

I doubt it would be so soon, as to follow closely on the heels of War of the Spider. As I mentioned earlier they’ve still got another wave or two of new “core” Primaris units to get out first.

Whenever the Grey Knights finally do start getting their Primaris units, I’m sure we’ll get some tie-in to the current fluff as it continues to evolve. Probably some combination of a breakthrough in the technology/process to transition existing Grey Knights across the Primaris Rubicon, as well as the revelation that they’ve been snatching up most of the Primaris individuals who’ve been demonstrating Psyker potential over the last few hundred years (leaving a few behind to populate the Librarius of regular Chapters), and testing and trading them in secret.

That's exactly my thought pattern (the last three sentences)! 40k theories remarked upon the other possibility that the GK don't have primaris yet, is because they are concerned with spiritual purity. However if I were to play devil's advocate at the moment, I wonder whether we will get primaris at all. See, I'm not certain Gulliman (back then) knew about the Knights-Errant, or the creation of the Grey Knights back then, which could present a logistics problem for Belisarius Cawl due to the potential lack of psykers. Especially ones that are suitable candidates. While the Psychic Awakening definitely revealed more latent psykers, I think it's safe to assume not many would pass the trials, therefore compounding the above problem.  

Edited by Skywrath

Primaris will definitely come. Just think 5 or 10 years down the road, when all of the Space Marines Firstborn models have been retired, and classified as Legacy units. They’re not going to leave the Grey Knights as the only Space Marines in the game that still have Imperial Guard sized models.

I fully agree that allllll the Marines will get primaris over a long period of time. Easily up to 10 years.

Worst case scenario, We may even get phased out and forgotten about until we get a full re-release like what happened after rogue trader. We disappeared for years. Then bam, back with a huge daemonhunter/inquisition release.

I will welcome anything that we get that's new though. Anything for more flavour. I don't want to get 2 or 3 units that are just outright better than what we have now, because nothing would really change then.

Has that always been the case with all imperium units, or is that specific only to the Grey Knights? And really do you think 5-10 years before we get primaris?

Edited by Skywrath

The other thing that strikes me with Grey Knight primaris, is how would they work? They just don't seem to "mix" with the aesthetic of what it means to be a Grey Knight. The other units such as Aggressors/Reivers compliment the existing arsenal (assault squad/devastator in this case) in any SM chapter, while none of the units (well except the librarian) compliment our existing load-out. When someone asked the devs whether we would be getting primaris to our ranks, there was a cryptic response to the tune of: "Wait and see". Come to think of things, I haven't seen a primaris unit that is dedicated to psychic support (except for the librarian), so is it possible that there may be special primaris GK figurines exclusively for us?

Guilliman knows that Grey Knights exist at least, having fought alongside Voldus during the Terran Crusade and the Indomitus Crusade. So does Cawl.

Cawl supplied the technology to create new Primaris,  to the Chapters (so, new 42nd Millennium recruits of many Chapters, are routinely getting  the 3 Primaris implants in addition to the regular Marine ones.)

It's plausible to me that the Grey Knights, like the regular Chapters, would be getting a supply of these 3 implants, and of Mark X armour.

The big question is - assuming the Grey Knights have gotten the military kit, and the implants, and their Apothecarion has gotten the guidelines on how to implant them - are they going to be willing to use them, and follow the guidelines?

IMO, Voldus, the guy who's in the Indomitus Crusade, seeing the Primaris perform, will be the one making the recommendations. And I think it's plausible that he'd be in favour.

However, I suspect they'd be much  more  "Grey Knight in Primaris armour" than "Primaris who happen to have the psyker"  rule - they'll be wielding force weapons, and probably carrying psychic heavy weapons, rather than plasma incinerators.

I'd  speculate that Cawl's eventual present to them will be to the storm bolter, what the bolt rifle is to the bolter, a  "wrist mounted storm bolt rifle" - that, or the Techmarines will create their own "storm bolt rifles" using Cawl bolt rifles as a starting point.

If the Grey Knights have known about Cawl's experiments for millennia though, rather than being surprised by the whole Primaris thing - maybe that might explain where the Dreadknight came from?

Cawl gave them prototype Invictor Warsuits, millennia ago, and when the Grey Knight Techmarines were through with modifying them to the Grey Knights' needs, we have the Dreadknight?

Edited by Iron Lord

Games workshop has always done this, alternating which units are good periodically. I'm sure the primaris thing has made GW a lot of money, and they aren't stopping anytime soon. I think they will primarise all space marines, starting with chaos, but to a much lesser degree than regular astartes. Then they will buff non-primaris so new players that only have primaris have to buy more models :).

Grey knights work because, although they are a minor army, they only have 3 units (and 5 characters), so it's worth to keep selling them. They are still not a very popular army, so it does not make much sense to fully revamp them, but adding a couple of primaris units would give new vitality to the army, and would allow GW to introduce the existing primaris vehicles to the grey knight codex , increasing their sales, so we are probably getting primaris stuff at some point.

Guilliman knows that Grey Knights exist at least, having fought alongside Voldus during the Terran Crusade and the Indomitus Crusade. So does Cawl.

Cawl supplied the technology to create new Primaris,  to the Chapters (so, new 42nd Millennium recruits of many Chapters, are routinely getting  the 3 Primaris implants in addition to the regular Marine ones.)

It's plausible to me that the Grey Knights, like the regular Chapters, would be getting a supply of these 3 implants, and of Mark X armour.

The big question is - assuming the Grey Knights have gotten the military kit, and the implants, and their Apothecarion has gotten the guidelines on how to implant them - are they going to be willing to use them, and follow the guidelines?

IMO, Voldus, the guy who's in the Indomitus Crusade, seeing the Primaris perform, will be the one making the recommendations. And I think it's plausible that he'd be in favour.

However, I suspect they'd be much  more  "Grey Knight in Primaris armour" than "Primaris who happen to have the psyker"  rule - they'll be wielding force weapons, and probably carrying psychic heavy weapons, rather than plasma incinerators.

I'd  speculate that Cawl's eventual present to them will be to the storm bolter, what the bolt rifle is to the bolter, a  "wrist mounted storm bolt rifle" - that, or the Techmarines will create their own "storm bolt rifles" using Cawl bolt rifles as a starting point.

If the Grey Knights have known about Cawl's experiments for millennia though, rather than being surprised by the whole Primaris thing - maybe that might explain where the Dreadknight came from?

Cawl gave them prototype Invictor Warsuits, millennia ago, and when the Grey Knight Techmarines were through with modifying them to the Grey Knights' needs, we have the Dreadknight?

An interesting perspective brother!

In response to your theory, you have to remember that the primaris are as old as the firstborn, so I doubt Cawl would be able to produce 1000 primaris marines especially ones that are potent as psykers. Most of the primaris that come, as in reality as old as the HH I want to say? Secondly, the GK have exacting standards to their recruitment, it's been my impression. So even if said potent psyker met the power level demanded of the GK, he would have to pass the spiritual purity tests (and I know, because I'm at that stage myself ;p). Also with all the commotion happening, I honestly don't see Cawl being able to supply the GK with that many a recruit, even with the Psychic Awakening happening.

Now, this all aside, it's inevitable we will get Primaris. I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing the GK done was instead of having new recruits, they forced every current GK to undergo the Rubicon Primaris. Because of them being the best of the best, I honestly expect their survival rate to be higher than a normal marines. Combine that with my belief that there are no current GK in the hold of the mechanicus ships, (as the GK's were not a thing 10,000 years ago), this alone points me that they will take that path. So yes, the apothecaries would do it, as the existing members have been verified as spiritually pure. Then I presume they would introduce new primaris reinforcements, but only after that has happened, on that criterion.

But the question I ask myself is what happens in the future to make that eventuality happen?  

As for new units they can offer - if you look at the release, there is barely any units (besides the librarian) that offer psychic support. I suspect we'll get maybe 1-2 new models of those (perhaps a primaris doomglaive dreadnought equivalent!), and something to fill the fast attack slot/heavy support (as we only have one choice, also psychic tank hype!). Seizmann is correct in his assertion that not many people play GK, but with the development and implications of the double-paladin bomb, I suspect that will change quickly due to meta-chasers. And with the 9th edition looming, and us being the only SM chapter not getting primaris (at the current time), it seems that they next "door" would be addressing that aforementioned category - one of psychic/fast attack support. So then GW would be forced to fill in our blanks, pushing our army to have more options. I'll even bet money on that, if I were a betting person. 

In terms of weaponry - I think it will be the standard range, but with a psychic twist. I don't think we will be using Gravis Armor, but perhaps a special type of armor that is more a hybrid of aegis and aeldari (considering how humanities transition into being a psychic race is underway). As for the Dreadknight, I don't expect a new model in that regard ironically - I think our current model will probably get some armor tweaks, maybe some new weapons, but that's about it. As long as the baby-carrier is gone, I'm content. But no, I think with us (the GK), they left the best till last. 

Probably some combination of a breakthrough in the technology/process to transition existing Grey Knights across the Primaris Rubicon, as well as the revelation that they’ve been snatching up most of the Primaris individuals who’ve been demonstrating Psyker potential over the last few hundred years (leaving a few behind to populate the Librarius of regular Chapters), and testing and trading them in secret.

Not very likely IMO.

An interesting perspective brother!

In response to your theory, you have to remember that the primaris are as old as the firstborn, so I doubt Cawl would be able to produce 1000 primaris marines especially ones that are potent as psykers. Most of the primaris that come, as in reality as old as the HH I want to say? Secondly, the GK have exacting standards to their recruitment, it's been my impression. So even if said potent psyker met the power level demanded of the GK, he would have to pass the spiritual purity tests (and I know, because I'm at that stage myself ;p). Also with all the commotion happening, I honestly don't see Cawl being able to supply the GK with that many a recruit, even with the Psychic Awakening happening.

Now, this all aside, it's inevitable we will get Primaris. I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing the GK done was instead of having new recruits, they forced every current GK to undergo the Rubicon Primaris. Because of them being the best of the best, I honestly expect their survival rate to be higher than a normal marines.

My theory isn't that Cawl supplies them with recruits (as you point out, the rarity of psykers in general and psykers able to make the cut in particular, prohibits this) - it's that Cawl supplies a supply of The Three New Primaris Implants, and the knowledge of how to implant them.

Basically, the Grey Knights are carrying on exactly as they are, with their own mysterious geneseed, their own regular, unchanged supply of psychic recruits, (probably the best of the best of those delivered on the Black Ships to Terra) and not getting any recruits from Cawl,  but instead, implanting those ordinary Grey Knight recruits who pass the required tests with the additional implants that make the difference between Regular Marine and Primaris Marine.

That's much safer than making adult Grey Knights cross the Rubicon,  since the risk of death is so much higher than in immature recruits.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Primaris_Space_Marines

The first wave of Primaris Space Marines were great reinforcements for the Imperium. But new forces were needed for defense, and therefore, under Cawl's guidance and with the help of his arcane technology, the Space Marines Chapters were provided with technologies to create their own Primarises from new aspirants. So the next generation of Primaris appeared, created from people born in the 41st Millennium. These marines were named The Indoctrinated.  8a]

Soon for ordinary Space Marines the question arose - can the standard space marine change into Primaris, gaining increased combat abilities, strengthening his skills for better protecting the Imperium? So the process of Rubicon Primaris was created.

These 'remade' Primaris Space Marines were called The Ascended. 

For me, "The Indoctrinated" would be the vast majority of Grey Knight Primaris when they start appearing, with maybe a few being "The Ascended" - those enthusiastic enough about improving their capabilities, to insist on crossing the Rubicon, and lucky enough to survive.

Edited by Iron Lord

My theory  isn't that Cawl  supplies them with recruits (as you point out, the rarity of psykers in general and psykers able to make the cut in particular, prohibits this) - it's that Cawl supplies a supply of The Three New Primaris Implants,  and the knowledge of how to implant them.

Basically, the Grey Knights are carrying on exactly as they are, with their own mysterious geneseed, their own supply of psychic recruits, (probably the best of the best of those delivered on the Black Ships to Terra) and not getting any recruits from Cawl,  but instead, implanting those ordinary Grey Knight recruits who pass the required tests with the additional implants that make the difference between Regular Marine and Primaris Marine.

That's much safer than making adult Grey Knights cross the Rubicon,  since the risk of death is so much higher than in immature recruits.

Point conceded on the first paragraph. 

A thought occurs whether Cawl or Gulliman knows about the heritage of the GK geneseed. Unrelated, but interesting thought. However, there is a bit of a flaw in your theory - the Grey Knights would know about Primaris and what they can do. So why would they give the newest acolytes more power than themselves, especially when they are unproven in the field/spiritual purity department? 

A thought occurs whether Cawl or Gulliman knows about the heritage of the GK geneseed. Unrelated, but interesting thought. However, there is a bit of a flaw in your theory - the Grey Knights would know about Primaris and what they can do. So why would they give the newest acolytes more power than themselves, especially when they are unproven in the field/spiritual purity department? 

Most of  the spiritual purity tests are going to take place very early on. Primaris implants don't normally take place till after the third Marine implant, the Biscopea, has been done, and the most important Grey Knight trials take place before this - beginning with the Chamber of Trials, and the trip to Xanadu:

The strongest recruits are brought back to Titan to be tested. The Chamber of Trials is where Aspirants arrive and their training begins -- if they survive. Recruits are subjected to mental and physical torment to see if they will break, even before they face the horrors of the Warp. Shivering in the holds of antiquated shuttles, the recruits are brought down to the surface of Titan; some are taken to the citadel but many are released onto the desolate plain and made to walk to the great fortress gates. Even though Titan was terraformed long ago, its thin atmosphere remains freezing and inhospitable. This is more than just a test of endurance -- is it also one of conviction. Those recruits that turn from the distant black towers, favouring their chances in the wilds of Titan, have shown themselves undisciplined and willfully independent. The reward for this cowardice is always death. Those that reach the gates are given only the briefest chance to enjoy their accomplishment. They are immediately sent out once more into the cold, this time on a trek of a thousand miles to the shimmering tundra of caustic crystals, perpetually locked in a chemical haze, known as the Xanadu Region. To breathe the strange vapours of this place is to feel one's mind slipping away, stolen by alien thoughts and nightmare visions. Even to reach Xanadu, a recruit must brave a score of deadly zones, from the Anarch High Pass, where a whispered word can trigger an avalanche of choking chemical dust, and the Rusting Desert, littered with the hulls of broken voidships and roaming packs of Servitors driven insane by time and decay, to the Saturnine Maze, an ancient weapon of war left over from the Emperor's conquest of Titan, filled with hidden nightmares and the spirits of vanquished warriors.

During his journey the recruit must also contain his immature psychic powers, and an inhibiter collar is fixed around his neck which is keyed to explode should he lose control. This can become almost impossible when the recruit reaches Xanadu and breathes deeply of the toxic chemicals, as reality becomes undone around him. All who come to the Region must bear witness to those who have failed, as thousands of headless skeletons are scattered across the landscape. Fewer than one in a thousand recruits will return from Xanadu. For those that do, long solar weeks of pain and sacrifice await. From the glyphite-stalked caverns beneath Ganesa Macula to the icy sub-surface oceans of Ios Antor, one test after another must be passed before the Grey Knights are content that the recruit has the strength of will and physical prowess to survive. Finally, the rare few that live to reach this stage are officially inducted into the Chapter, so that their true training might begin.

The most advanced bio-engineering and psycho-surgery available is utilised to condition these Aspirants, and each recruit must pass the six hundred and sixty six Rituals of Detestation, to prove that he is capable of withstanding horrors that would break even the greatest of normal Space Marines. Upon success, the recruit also has all memory of his prior existence and identity erased using a mind-wipe, to better ensure his absolute and unwavering loyalty to the Emperor, and to prevent daemons from using the Aspirant's fears, memories, and feelings against him. One of the main criteria for selection into the Chapter is that the recruit must show great psychic potential, as the entire Chapter is made up of psykers. Once they begin to undergo the standard gene-seed organ implantation process to transform an Aspirant into an Astartes of the Grey Knights, the new Grey Knight is also implanted with silver hexagrammic and pentagrammic Purity Wards under his skin which cover his entire body and help to prevent daemonic entities from touching or contaminating him.

Edited by Iron Lord

Most of  the spiritual purity tests are going to take place very early on. Primaris implants don't normally take place till after the third Marine implant, the Biscopea, has been done, and the most important Grey Knight trials take place before this - beginning with the Chamber of Trials, and the trip to Xanadu:

The strongest recruits are brought back to Titan to be tested. The Chamber of Trials is where Aspirants arrive and their training begins -- if they survive. Recruits are subjected to mental and physical torment to see if they will break, even before they face the horrors of the Warp. Shivering in the holds of antiquated shuttles, the recruits are brought down to the surface of Titan; some are taken to the citadel but many are released onto the desolate plain and made to walk to the great fortress gates. Even though Titan was terraformed long ago, its thin atmosphere remains freezing and inhospitable. This is more than just a test of endurance -- is it also one of conviction. Those recruits that turn from the distant black towers, favouring their chances in the wilds of Titan, have shown themselves undisciplined and willfully independent. The reward for this cowardice is always death. Those that reach the gates are given only the briefest chance to enjoy their accomplishment. They are immediately sent out once more into the cold, this time on a trek of a thousand miles to the shimmering tundra of caustic crystals, perpetually locked in a chemical haze, known as the Xanadu Region. To breathe the strange vapours of this place is to feel one's mind slipping away, stolen by alien thoughts and nightmare visions. Even to reach Xanadu, a recruit must brave a score of deadly zones, from the Anarch High Pass, where a whispered word can trigger an avalanche of choking chemical dust, and the Rusting Desert, littered with the hulls of broken voidships and roaming packs of Servitors driven insane by time and decay, to the Saturnine Maze, an ancient weapon of war left over from the Emperor's conquest of Titan, filled with hidden nightmares and the spirits of vanquished warriors.

During his journey the recruit must also contain his immature psychic powers, and an inhibiter collar is fixed around his neck which is keyed to explode should he lose control. This can become almost impossible when the recruit reaches Xanadu and breathes deeply of the toxic chemicals, as reality becomes undone around him. All who come to the Region must bear witness to those who have failed, as thousands of headless skeletons are scattered across the landscape. Fewer than one in a thousand recruits will return from Xanadu. For those that do, long solar weeks of pain and sacrifice await. From the glyphite-stalked caverns beneath Ganesa Macula to the icy sub-surface oceans of Ios Antor, one test after another must be passed before the Grey Knights are content that the recruit has the strength of will and physical prowess to survive. Finally, the rare few that live to reach this stage are officially inducted into the Chapter, so that their true training might begin.

The most advanced bio-engineering and psycho-surgery available is utilised to condition these Aspirants, and each recruit must pass the six hundred and sixty six Rituals of Detestation, to prove that he is capable of withstanding horrors that would break even the greatest of normal Space Marines. Upon success, the recruit also has all memory of his prior existence and identity erased using a mind-wipe, to better ensure his absolute and unwavering loyalty to the Emperor, and to prevent daemons from using the Aspirant's fears, memories, and feelings against him. One of the main criteria for selection into the Chapter is that the recruit must show great psychic potential, as the entire Chapter is made up of psykers. Once they begin to undergo the standard gene-seed organ implantation process to transform an Aspirant into an Astartes of the Grey Knights, the new Grey Knight is also implanted with silver hexagrammic and pentagrammic Purity Wards under his skin which cover his entire body and help to prevent daemonic entities from touching or contaminating him.

In light of that fluff, I concede to your point, entirely. Thank you for sharing it with me :)

That would be neat. Though I could see them just going with the assault bolter from Inceptors. Mighty fine weapon. 

I demand flying grey knight inceptors with dual nemesis hammers bolted to the bottom of each foot!

And floaty suppressors armed with portable heavy gatling psilancers!

Lmao

They're in the que, Brother Captain. Cawl says, "No worries. I'll have them to you in five years.... ten years, TOPS.":wink:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Let's be realistic here, on the topic of inceptors. We are probably going to get them, however instead of plasma/bolt weapons, they will be armed with psycannons/psilencers/flamers. How cool would that be! Oh wait, they are called interceptor/strike/purifer squads, my bad.

But I'm seriously hoping we get a librarian dreadnought - that would be pretty cool. 

Edited by Skywrath

Let's be realistic here, on the topic of inceptors. We are probably going to get them, however instead of plasma/bolt weapons, they will be armed with psycannons/psilencers/flamers. How cool would that be! Oh wait, they are called interceptor/strike/purifer squads, my bad.

But I'm seriously hoping we get a librarian dreadnought - that would be pretty cool. 

Technically all your dreadnoughts are already Librarians of a sort - just not quite as good as regular Librarians, getting one power off per round instead of 2.

Still, a beefier version, with a proper Force weapon, might make sense.

Technically all your dreadnoughts are already Librarians of a sort - just not quite as good as regular Librarians, getting one power off per round instead of 2.

Still, a beefier version, with a proper Force weapon, might make sense.

#makethevortimerdreadnoughtgoodagain2020

Im very curious how primaris grey knights will be kitted out though. It was easy for regular Marines, because they just gave them a slightly bigger/funkier boltguns. But we have wrist mounted guns. Will they follow the same pattern? Just give us slightly bigger/funkier wrist storm bolters?

Or will they do the easy thing and not change them at all, but give us psi bolts as equipment?

Something entirely different?

Edited by Captain Coolpants