Chaos Knight options

Lord Tarkin

Hello all! I recently bought a Chaos Knight and boy am I excited! I've never played with one of these bad boys before, and I haven't even got to know anything about knights until, I actually bought one.

So, does anybody have tips concerning what might work best? I'm gonna be having him in a list with Chaos Marine warriors (no cultists), some terminators and a few daemon engines. And the Knight is an Abhorrent Class Desecrator armed with laser destructor and reaper chainsword. Anything you guys got for me I do appreciate it.

Knights are big, stompy and scary. Having one on the field is like having a Relic unit in Dawn of War; your opponent better have something anti-vehicle or they're toast. I'd recommend playing some games with your Knight and CSM together to see how they synergize. What your Knight is good at will depend on whether it's a Dreadblade and what Warlord Trait and Relic you give him. Take Infernal so you get your Daemonic Surge powers. The Chaos Knight Relics have some standout choices; The Tyrant's Banner turns it into a CP farm, or you can make it a Psyker with the Tzeentchian Pyrothrone. For Damnations, unless you're wanting specifically and only to get your Knight into melee (so basically unless you're running a Rampager or a melee Despoiler), Warp Fugue's a good choice, and if you use the Helm of Warpsight for your Relic (granted, there's some phenomenal Relics and the Helm of Warpsight isn't one of them against most matchups) Defiant Machine Spirit's pretty good. Volatile Reactor's a good one for general purpose. As far as Pacts, I usually like to take Knower of Profane Secrets for the free CP, but Path to Glory's a good one if you're facing, like, Tyranids, Genestealer Cults, a Lord of War faction, or a Character-spam list. The Warlord Traits are kind of lackluster, but Warp-Haunted Hull synergizes with the Tzeentchian Pyrothrone (it's a free Deny for your Warlord Trait on top of the Pyrothrone's Deny) and Knight Diabolus is always nice to have. Always pay the 2CP for the Warlord Trait and Relic for a solo Knight, especially if you have other CP-generating Detachments.

I'm glad you mentioned that, I was getting wayyyy turned off lookin at those damnations, they're cruel, but thanks for helpin me not be so intimidated by that lol. The pacts are pretty damn good otherwise. I never really thought to use the Helm of Warp Sight like that.

Thanks so much for all this information, I've literally been lookin at this stuff while studying this codex for like 30 minutes now, and very worth it. After looking at the Infernal household and all the powers attached to it, so I think I'll do that. I was only considering Iconoclast for that Vow of Dominance stratagem, which makes enemy units have to wound you on a 4+ at best no matter what, which I think would screw over armies trying to make use of Lascannons and other similarly powerful weapons. The +1 toughness on the daemonic surge is nice tho, really all 3 of those surges are nice

I'm glad you mentioned that, I was getting wayyyy turned off lookin at those damnations, they're cruel, but thanks for helpin me not be so intimidated by that lol. The pacts are pretty damn good otherwise. I never really thought to use the Helm of Warp Sight like that.

Thanks so much for all this information, I've literally been lookin at this stuff while studying this codex for like 30 minutes now, and very worth it. After looking at the Infernal household and all the powers attached to it, so I think I'll do that. I was only considering Iconoclast for that Vow of Dominance stratagem, which makes enemy units have to wound you on a 4+ at best no matter what, which I think would screw over armies trying to make use of Lascannons and other similarly powerful weapons. The +1 toughness on the daemonic surge is nice tho, really all 3 of those surges are nice

The best combination for Infernal powers is Daemonic Power on an Avenger Gatling Cannon, as far as I'm concerned. Lets it mulch Custodes and vehicles easier. My Knight's got a Thermal Cannon, Avenger Cannon, Stubber and no carapace weapon, and I use the Infernal powers to punch big holes in things at range.

Incidentally, if your Knight's all built and painted, I'm interested to see. I always like seeing good Chaos Knights. In fact, DuskRaider's Chaos Knights were the reason I signed up to the forum.

Hm, I'm tryin to add an image of it but, can't figure out how. It's not painted yet unfortunately because my local store ran out of Abaddon Black and can't restock because of the virus. Really sucks too, I wanna paint it so bad lol

And, I do love the Avenger Gatling Cannon, which knight do I have to buy to get that?

Hm, I'm tryin to add an image of it but, can't figure out how. It's not painted yet unfortunately because my local store ran out of Abaddon Black and can't restock because of the virus. Really sucks too, I wanna paint it so bad lol

And, I do love the Avenger Gatling Cannon, which knight do I have to buy to get that?

The Despoiler/Loyalist Questoris kit, there isn't a proper Chaos Knight kit with an Avenger Gatling Cannon in it yet. Princeps Leviathan (mine) actually started life as a pre-Canis Rex Loyalist kit, I think it was out of a Renegade box. Some simple conversions and a good paint job to look the part is all you need to make a Chaos Knight out of the Loyalist kit.

As far as adding images, you have two options. You can either use the B&C's uploader, or you can upload it somewhere else and pop it in. Once you find a way to upload the image, just look for the little image icon up above the text box when you're making a post and pop the image URL into the thing that pops up.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Here we are. I've done a little work since this picture on his superstructure to rust it up a little more, I've cleaned up the ghosting around the inside of the pauldron trim and I've actually decorroded the Thermal Cannon just a bit to better define that it's a different, heat and corrosion-resistant alloy, as compared to the other guns. He's posed like he's bracing against that pile of rocks to take a shot with the Thermal Cannon; reposing a Knight is surprisingly easy. He has a few small conversions to make him look like a Chaos Knight instead of a rusted-up Loyalist:
If you look around his chestplate, I used a curved spike bar from the Chaos vehicle sprue as a sort of spiked collar.
I used the Star of Chaos Force Staff head out of the Rubric Marines kit in place of the regular emblem above the cowl.
I stole two spikes off of the Foetid Bloat-Drone's jets and stuck them onto those orbs on the carapace.
I used a Plaguespitter, also off of a Bloat-Drone, for the Gatling Cannon's underbarrel Heavy Flamer.

The Heavy Stubber's barrel has been replaced with that of a Soulreaper Cannon, out of the Rubric Marines kit.

chaosknight_1000.jpg

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

I love it!!!!! I'm so jealous of that weaponry lol I mean, the laser destructor is good but it's only 3 shots. A good tank destroyer for sure, but boy am I loving those cannons. The paintjob is by far the best part, I'll show you mine when I get it painted but admittedly, I need to get better at rusting. Never have been good with anything extra like blood splatter, rust or anything like that but you did a good job here bro

I love it!!!!! I'm so jealous of that weaponry lol I mean, the laser destructor is good but it's only 3 shots. A good tank destroyer for sure, but boy am I loving those cannons. The paintjob is by far the best part, I'll show you mine when I get it painted but admittedly, I need to get better at rusting. Never have been good with anything extra like blood splatter, rust or anything like that but you did a good job here bro

Grab a bit of sponge - kitchen sponge works, but pick-and-pluck sponge is better - and dab it against the paint, then dab it against an absorbent surface until almost nothing comes off. Then sponge the remaining paint onto your model. Quick and easy rust. I used a mix of Typhus Corrosion and Agrax Earthshade for the brown wash on the steel and under the main colors.

Don’t you only get infernal surge if you have a full super heavy detachment? (3LoW)

Seems to me that if you go melee, then the rampager with relic gauntlet is amazing (if there are enough big targets). Iconoclast is good for melee builds.

If you want range, then go infernal and surge. (But you might need more knights/couple of war dogs)