DG Daemon Prince - Dual Talons is best?

Hi all.

Given the fact that Lockdown in the UK (and mandatory Work From Home for me) doesn't appear to be ending any time soon, I've finally decided to start painting all the parts of 2 of the Dark Imperium Death Guard bits laying around for ages. I am thinking of eventually adding a Daemon Prince as my Warlord.

I was thinking of giving him The Suppurating Plate relic and the Revoltingly Resilient Warlord Trait.

However, I can't really see any reason why I would want to equip him with anything other than a pair of Talons. I will primarily be running him with some Bloat Drone buddies for some sort of protection (my Raven Guard says "Hi"), and Vitality as his Psychic Power.

If I manage to cast that, I would have S8 without the -1 that the Axe brings, plus 7 attacks instead of 4. Obviously, 2 Damage instead of 3 that the Axe gives.

Are Maelific Talons the way to go?

I was thinking of giving him The Suppurating Plate relic and the Revoltingly Resilient Warlord Trait.

However, I can't really see any reason why I would want to equip him with anything other than a pair of Talons.

:yes:  I agree.  This was also my loadout when I ran a DG Daemon Prince with Wings.  I only stopped because I used a mostly Daemon army and was adjusting stuff to fit another Detachment in, otherwise I'd still use a DG Daemon Prince with Wings just for the Suppurating Plate and Revoltingly Resilient, too.

I also think I know why you ask, it's like "why did they even give us options other than Talons, what am I missing?"  I think there ARE reasons to equip a Daemon Prince with something other than a pair of Talons, it's when there's some fancy weapon Relic involved that must replace the Daemon Prince sword or axe (like how Teeth of Terra must replace a chainsword and can't go on characters that can't get them).  Those types of Relics appear on the Khorne Daemon and Slaanesh Daemon side, not so much for the likes of us.

For a majority of situations, dual talons are the best. Obviously on 3 wound targets is where the sword or axe would be more beneficial, but that's about it. The plate and revolting resilient are often people's go to for the tough beat stick, but I find success in giving them arch contaminator with the helm for the extra aura range.

Im hoping though for some worthwhile weapon relics with psychic awakening. A slaanesh word bearers Daemon Prince with Wings with the elixer relic and possessed warlord trait with talons is 9 Str 9 attacks (10 on charge) with 1" extra move and better psychic spells like warptime for 15 less points. Our Daemon prince's need some love. Miasma is awesome but in matched play you only get to cast it once.

A pair of Malefic Talons is objectively the best loadout at the moment, but if you wanted to take a Plague Spewer on your DP then you're tied into using the sword for some reason. (I guess because that's what the Death Guard specific metal/resin DP is equipped with, but strange that they didn't cover the FW model which only has a single Malefic Talon and Plague Spewer)

I don't know a lot about the supposed efficiency of the Daemon Prince load-out, but I am keen to watch this thread.

Out of interest what do models do people use to represent the Daemon Prince with Talons? It's just the current GW "fantasy" plastic kit one doesn't look very Nurgley to me! 

That's what I got. My head-canon is that he traded in his Good Boy Points to be transformed into a giga-chad in daemonhood. 

I don't know a lot about the supposed efficiency of the Daemon Prince load-out, but I am keen to watch this thread.

Out of interest what do models do people use to represent the Daemon Prince with Talons? It's just the current GW "fantasy" plastic kit one doesn't look very Nurgley to me!

gallery_162425_15929_29015.jpg

I've used both weapons. Those are my two Daemon Prince's, I'm not the best picture taker. The prince with wings might not look that nurgle-like himself but with a simalar paint scheme blends in to more nurgle like stuff. Also both of the model's faces looked too cartoony to me so I put defiler masks on both of them.

I see alot of people use Plague Drone parts, but I think the tiny bug head and wings just looks silly to me.

I have the Forgeworld DP (Mammon?) with the rusty barrel on his back.

Have you ever played with him as the character Mamon or just use him as a proxy for a DP? I've never seen Mamon in action but for his points he seems like alot of other FW non-dreadnaughts, outdated rules and too many points.

Best use of the sword is to trick people who are too used to talon princes they don't expect a daemon prince to be a serious threat to their 10+ wound models.

There are specific power armour parts in the plastic daemon prince so its not a fantasy kit, but its certainly not a nurgle one either. It is okay if you mix in some plague drone bits.

I did mine with the Mourngul kit and spare parts.

vkBJNK2.jpg

In terms of effectiveness he’s pretty good. Speedy and fighty; highlight so far has definitely been him pulling off a Turn 1 charge on Azrael and eating him in a single round of combat.