Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Centurion durability

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ultramarine vet

Ultramarine vet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 531 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
So I'm making this post to address two slightly different things, but both have to do with centurions.

Firstly, they are insane when it comes to being durable. Transhuman physiology is particularly nasty when you use it on them. A chaos knight wounding them on a 4+ with a S16 gun with only 3 shots is incredibly frustrating for the chaos knight player, but incredibly satisfying for me. They can also stand up to lascannons, etc. Not to mention, having an apothecary near them to ensure they can heal up whatever damage is done. So it seems to me, that the only way for someone to get rid of centurions, is to drown them in a ton of wounds, rather than using high powered weapons.

Secondly, assault centurions are really cheap. But I hear the problem with them is that they need an expensive transport. Are Stormravens and Land Raiders considered bad or over princed in points? Because assault centurions with flamers and hurricane bolters are only 156 points, which is so so cheap for what they can do.

Edited by Ultramarine vet, 09 May 2020 - 06:53 PM.

Be vigilant, the taint of chaos is always near. There is no mercy for the weak and treacherous.

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 484 posts
As to point 1 centurions are very cheap for what they do. Their only weakness is their mobility.

The transports are unreliable and delicate. They do not actually solve the mobility issue so see little use. Effectively I can deal with two units for killing off 1 vehicle.

All of that means successful assault cents tactics often center around ways to deploy and move centurions without transports. Raven guard and white scars come to mind.

Kill Maim Destroy

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

++ ANGARUS ARANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,385 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
Ironically, assault Centurions are the best for the last Chapter you'd expect to ever use them: Raven Guard.

Because we can pay 1cp to deep strike them in on turn 2.

I equipped mine with meltaguns. They aren't as good at mulching infantry as the flamer variant, but when 6-12 S8 -4 d6 damage shots pops up flanking an expensive tank or a knight, you take it seriously. Especially when the unit can follow up with 13-27 S10 -4 3 damage attacks in melee. It's become a mini-game with my opponents outthinking themselves trying to predict where I'm going to drop them.

Other Chapters can maybe get more out of them once they hit combat, but getting them there is challenging.

Edited by Claws and Effect, 21 May 2020 - 09:33 AM.

• Ultramarine vet likes this

Ultramarine vet

Ultramarine vet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 531 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Ironically, assault Centurions are the best for the last Chapter you'd expect to ever use them: Raven Guard.
Because we can pay 1cp to deep strike them in on turn 2.
I equipped mine with meltaguns. They aren't as good at mulching infantry as the flamer variant, but when 6-12 S8 -4 d6 damage shots pops up flanking an expensive tank or a knight, you take it seriously. Especially when the unit can follow up with 13-27 S10 -4 3 damage attacks in melee. It's become a mini-game with my opponents outthinking themselves trying to predict where I'm going to drop them.
Other Chapters can maybe get more out of them once they hit combat, but getting them there is challenging.

That is quite odd indeed. I do like the notion of Raven Guard using some heavy fire support however, so I actually don't mind it! I feel it's more realistic and sensible to not just send all assault marines and vanguard veterans on their own. 👍

I have thought and thought about my Stormraven, but dang. I'm struggling with fielding it because it's 330 points and not all that survivable. It's really the best and fastest way to get assault centurions to combat, but a lot of armies can destroy the Stormraven with relative ease. I am thinking of having a jump pack chapter master near it to make sure when it does get destroyed, I can activate the stratagem Vengeance of the Machine Spirit to at least get some use out of it. It's worth noting I don't mind it dying turn one, just as long as it takes 2-3 units to do so. 🙃

Edited by Ultramarine vet, 21 May 2020 - 08:25 PM.

Be vigilant, the taint of chaos is always near. There is no mercy for the weak and treacherous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users