the Mittermeier Crusade reignited

indeed-but to be honest the news about points changes makes any decision premature.

i actualy moved to a new place this month , and when i ... "inspected the troops" for damage, i happily saw that High Marshal Helbrecht is now properly assembled, didnt break during the move, and will hopefully command the Crusade moving forward. still havent glued the second half of the aggressor squad (busy).

• 11 months later...

hey all. some of you may think i disappeared- quite the contrary. my country ended a 6-month lockdown and i couldnt play much, but i did buy some stuff. incoming pictures soon, though most of it is still just primed.

so, PREVIEW:

182531954_10225047455724347_245709057514

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

• 7 months later...

hey all. so, i decided to come out of my shell and start playing after the insanely huge lockdown. above pic is from game 1 of a three-game tournament. i will report here how things went. first, my list:

-marshal, autoflamer, perdition's edge, paragon of fury.

-chaplain on bike, tannhauzers bones, plea of deliverance, litany of divine protection, master of sanctity. no wlt to help casting (i payed dearly for that, he missed 60% of the divine protection casts, sometimes on crucial moments)

-10 x primaris crusaders, light of emperors grace, sword of judgment, two pfists

-10 x assault intercessors, powersword

-5 x infiltrators, helix

-10 x assault terminators, 6 x th/ss, crux obsidian

-ironclad dreadnought, dual flamers

-redemptor, macroplasma, bolters, gatling, missiles

-two MM bikes

-two predators auto/las

game 1, vs Knights.

i was swapping various secondary objectives trying to get a better feel for 9th , and i think this game i had the best selection: oaths of moment, stranglehold, raise banners. i used Uphold vow.

turn 1 opens up with us trading some shots, but despite going first i didnt roll particularly well. one  predator getting destroyed, and my infantry advancing on objectives, scoring stranglehold.

turn two had him focusing down the ironclad, while his Lancer charged my assault intercessors, who survived thanks to transhuman. i Devout Push the terminators closer on his turn 2 .

turn three my assault terminators charge the lancer but i fail to kill it, it has one wound remaining. i fail the 4+ to stop him from falling back, so he falls back, charges my second predator, and his castellan , in one phenomenal round of shooting, wipes out all the assault terminators. my chaplain heroicaly intervenes and takes out the lancer's last wound. meanwhile my troops , mm bikes and redemptor kill some other knights and i score stranglehold again. 

in turns 4 and 5, we were both running out of hard hitting units-his castellan killed so many of my units, but he  only had three knights remaining, one of them only counting for five models, so he had struggle to score objectives and catch up the difference. meanwhile i kept scoring 10 primaries/turn and had already maxed Oaths and had 9 stranglehold points.

game end, 83-77, templars win.

i pick Abhor, raise banners, and oaths. bad idea. i should have picked stranglehold over raise banners. i used accept any challenge vow, since i didnt think uphold would count for much and i dont like abhor. he deepstriked some interceptors.

i play first, my predators get out of terrain, using their movement to get easier LoS  and start hammering down on his dreadknights, aided by redemptor plasma. one is destroyed,  other two damaged. on his turn he struggles to recover; panicked by my advancing ironclad, shoots EVERYTHING into him. my ironclad is destroyed, again, but in doing so he gets exposed to more shooting by undamaged predators.

second turn, my predators, redemptor AND the attack bikes start firing. he pops 3++ relic for his grandmaster. the two remaining dreadknights are destroyed, his 3++ grandmaster has lost half his wounds. crucially, my chaplain fails to cast divine protection.

on his turn he makes some BIG deepstrike plays:

-deepstrikes a squad near his grandmasters, fires all remaining shots on my crusader squad, wiping them out, and charges the chaplain with the grandmasters. chaplain survives due to tannhauzers, but not for long.

-deepstrikes two squads near my predators and succeeds both charges. preds live, but damaged. one interceptor squad in reserve.

-makes a huge gamble by exposing two strike squads + crowe and shoots at my assault termies, very limited effect. i devout push the assault termies near him. HUGE misake, i should have used them closer to the centre to kill he grandmasters and aid the chaplain in holding centre objective.

turn three:

my assault intercessors charge one of the squads fighting predators. FAIL to get enough wounds; despite having 2x their numbers, take many casualties.

my terminators get a triple charge against crowe + two strikesquads(easy, he was 15", i devout pushed for 3" on his turn, moved 5... 7" with reroll was very dependable): crucially, i FORGET to pop strength of conviction. i kill crowe and... NINE of the 2x5 strikesquads. so he gets the objective next turn... redemptor fails to wound anything. 

the grandmasters kill chaplain and the redemptor, but first redemptor cause many wounds, almost killing his teleporting grandmaster. mm bikes die to last interceptor squad. i finish off remaining strike squad model on his backfield, and remaining two interceptors with my remaining assault intercessors. chaos all around, both forces in peril of getting tabled after damage.

turns 4 and five, he had control of centre and basicaly killed everything except the assault terminators, he stayed away from the whole table quarter. he had 1 x 5 strike squad, 2x2 remaining interceptors, and one remaining grandmaster on three wounds.

end of game, templars lose 88-86.

if only i had popped that strength of conviction, i could have won.

game three, vs orks. 2 x planes, 3 x 3 buggies, 3 x scramjets, a big nob squad, bike warlord, and some troops.

i had never faced that list before-even though i had lots of opportunities to maneuver and get some shots in, i was caught off-guard at what firepower i need to kill each vehicle. between many fail-to-kills, my ironclad dieing to overwatch(!!!!!) and bad experimentation on objectives (stranglehold and engage ,splitting vs such a mobile force) i lost very badly, scoring just 93-52 points. 

all in all, good games, i learnt a lot. i had fun, and i am confident i can play much better next time.