Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Regal Return

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,794 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
Hmmmmm.....I was a little "meh" over this but actually after reading through some of the fluff I'm getting a little more excited! I've got a Deceiver new in box somewhere so I maybe tempted to crack it open a thus rate! I look forward to seeing what fruit this bears!

BCC
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

Darkwrath121

Darkwrath121

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts
And there I was thinking yesterday that the Katakros model for AoS would make for a very interesting Silent King trial-run/conversion.

There's simply no lore on his combat prowess at all, with his various lore sources mentioning he only gets involved in open conflict when necessary to keep a low profile in hiding. I doubt he'll be one to mess with, but perhaps not primarch level. The lore does make clear that he's very much a leader and master manipulator, however.

To make an educated guess based on what little we know, I'd say a Katakros-style support-character isn't unlikely, with powerful wargear and a tough statline for when something gets close enough that he honours them by fighting them personally.

Edited by Darkwrath121, 10 May 2020 - 07:08 PM.

• Dark Shepherd likes this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,146 posts

If this hombre is more powerful than Primarchs

Is he really supposed to be that powerful? I haven't ever seen anything in regards to how powerful as a fighter he is. He's probably more powerful than your average Necron Lord, but I think most of his actual power resides atop his brow, aka as a ruler and strategist.
As far as we know he hasn't personally been in a fight in 60 million years, so who knows how strong he should be? I would think making him roughly similar to a primarch would be best in terms of game play though.

So hes basically the 40k equivalent of a legendary boxer coming out of retirement after 15 years?

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,037 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

I'd be totally down with the Silent King having good (but not insane) stats compensated/complimented with ludicrously absurd golden-age-of-Necrontology era wargear. Like a pistol that shoots solar systems and a sword made out of a deceased god's spine, idk. Go nuts

Edited by Marshal Loss, 10 May 2020 - 07:05 PM.

• fire golem and Arendious like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,447 posts

As far as we know he hasn't personally been in a fight in 60 million years, so who knows how strong he should be? I would think making him roughly similar to a primarch would be best in terms of game play though.

And there I was thinking yesterday that the Katakros model for AoS would make for a very interesting Silent King trial-run/conversion.

There's simply no lore on his combat prowess at all, with his various lore sources mentioning he only gets involved in open conflict when necessary to keep a low profile in hiding. I doubt he'll be one to mess with, but perhaps not primarch level. The lore does make clear that he's very much a leader and master manipulator, however.

This is why I think he might work similarly to Katakros. His own personal stats might not be that crazy, but to even get to him you have to get through his retinue first, because he won't even consider getting involved in the fight until he absolutely has to. That way he reaches Primarch level on the tabletop without he himself being that powerful, but keeping it fluffy with the idea that he reigns absolute above everyone else, and even if another Primarch-level character comes up to him, he won't even bother fighting them personally unless everything else fails.

• Shinespider likes this

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

Anyone else notice that several of the depictions of the Silent King in the trailer seem to be defaced?

It seems that the good king has his detractors...

Also, nice nod to pharao Akhenaten.

• Mazer Rackham and Dark Shepherd like this

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Dark_Master

Dark_Master

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 824 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

If this hombre is more powerful than Primarchs (?)

Don’t know about powerful, but judging by the art work he’s huge in comparison to other Necrons (especially the ferryman) so might be Primarch sized

DM

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,897 posts
Noice. Bask in my smugness non believers. :P

Seriously tho, good news, hopefully we will get some melee marines.

Edited by Sete, 10 May 2020 - 07:49 PM.

• Triszin, Gederas, Reinhard and 6 others like this

Bonzi

Bonzi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 752 posts
The silent kings power was mostly from the fact that all Necrons had to obey his every command without question. Billions/trillions of robots following your every command would make you pretty powerful on a galactic scale. But, the silent kings released the control commands so necrons are no longer mindlessly loyal to him though his position does put him at the top anyway. We do know that royalty got the very best metal bodies in the transference so the king has a better body and neural network than even the overlords and crypteks so he would be smarter, tougher, stronger. Where that puts him vs a Primarch I don't know.

Xeno

Necrons

Imperium

Astra/Tempestus Militarum - Vostroyans

Blood Angels - Hands of Sacrifice

Traitor Legions

Emperors Children - Making Noise Marines Scream

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,972 posts

its nice seeing other armies get primarch tier things.

XD

I hope he looks awesome

banana

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,037 posts

Don’t know about powerful, but judging by the art work he’s huge in comparison to other Necrons (especially the ferryman) so might be Primarch sized

DM

In Egyptian & Mesopotamian art (which the video is styled after) Pharaohs/Kings were always depicted as being giants in comparison to other mortals to reflect their divine stature. It's quite possible that he's going to be huge, but I wouldn't read into it too much, especially as the only literary description of the Silent King to date doesn't mention a vast bulk:

He was taller than the rest, yet not as tall as I had imagined he might be. His mechanical body was a work of unspeakable Xenos artifice, more finely wrought than any I had ever seen upon the field of battle. Where they might be skeletal, he was lithe. Where they were animated with grim, unyielding purpose, his every movement possessed an undeniable vitality. His form spoke of musculature and clean-limbed strength, perhaps touched by the divine, and his finery was simple and yet impossibly elegant.

bRxSYDV.png

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 915 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
During biotransference the higher ranking in society you were the better quality body and mind you had after, so he should be the most advanced necron around.
I would guess that would make him bigger than other necrons.

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,262 posts

DM

The size in art might just be a way to illustrate social rank. So kings and lords are larger than warriors and priests who are larger than the common people. We see this even in modern times, though often not as blatantly.

we_badge_ezra.png

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,972 posts
Turns out the psykic awakening was a emergency alarm clock for necrons to wake up
  • mithrilforge and General Strike like this
banana

Arendious

Arendious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
  • Faction: Umbral Owls

Turns out the psykic awakening was a emergency alarm clock for necrons to wake up

Seems likely that an "In case of warp shenanigans" protocol would have been a priority, given who the Necrons original foes were.

Is the post-War In Heaven Enslaver Plague still a thing? That might be another consideration - too much psychic activity, and the Death Peanuts come back...
  • Triszin likes this

"Take this, thy reflector belt, that the Emperor's Holy Light will shine in all the places that you go."  ~Commissar Lemay, Imperial Flying Corpsgallery_48988_6285_18080.png

plastic_slug

plastic_slug

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 115 posts

Maybe the Silent King miniature will be a mini diorama with him whispering into Dante's ear, lol rolleyesclean.gif

Tyr13

Tyr13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
  • Faction: IH, SLoA, Agripinaa
In terms of power, I reckon hed be somewhere in primarch territory, with an emphasis on survivability. Loads of ways to cheat death. Just makes sense, considering even a lowly lord has S and T5. Maybe S6 T7, 2+ 3++? Lowish amount of attacks though, 3 to 4 maybe...

Either way. Big news for necrons. Makes me wonder what else might be coming...

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,306 posts
IIRC the short story with Dante and the Silent King implies that SK spoke to Sanguinius, back in the day but I don't know of any other context for that reference.

I'm kind if excited for this reveal, it seems to tease a new box set which is great but from the me from pov I'm not sure what to hope for bar flayed ones and pariahs, I can't think of much else that has been teased over the years outside of kal Jericho comics!

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,290 posts
Oh man, I’d forgotten the stuff about the Silent King wearing a Sanguinius death mask. I hope they just ignore that.
  • Marshal Loss likes this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,037 posts

Oh man, I’d forgotten the stuff about the Silent King wearing a Sanguinius death mask. I hope they just ignore that.

Probably just contextual right? I thought he was just wearing in what he thought was a gesture of respect for the Blood Angels. The alternative explanation - that he was so impressed by the pigeon primarch that he decided to model his appearance after him for all eternity - doesn't bear consideration

• Sandlemad, fire golem and Shinespider like this

bRxSYDV.png

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,602 posts

No, his appearing like Sanguinius was definitely something he indicated he had chosen for that meeting, not something that is always the case.  Whether that was out of respect or some kind of mind game, who knows?

• Sandlemad likes this

plastic_slug

plastic_slug

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 115 posts

The story was The Word of The Silent King. It appeared separately during the advent calendar of 2014, and later was in the Shield of Baal collection. 

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,037 posts

No, his appearing like Sanguinius was definitely something he indicated he had chosen for that meeting, not something that is always the case.  Whether that was out of respect or some kind of mind game, who knows?

Having just re-read it, context makes it clear that it is the former not the latter. The author confirmed as much

Edited by Marshal Loss, 10 May 2020 - 10:19 PM.

bRxSYDV.png

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,447 posts

Now that you guys mention that whole affair, it seems that the Silent King could be a very powerful ally for the Imperium under the right circumstances, aka when Nids get out of hand. But given that Pariah is setting Necrons up as a menace for humanity and that, if a boxset does happen, the opposing force is going to be 100% Space Marines/Imperials, it seems that for now that's not going to be the case.

I do wonder about the implications of his return going forward, and if any Necrons will try to disobey his rule after such a long absence.

Edited by DeadFingers, 10 May 2020 - 10:41 PM.

Medjugorje

Medjugorje

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,632 posts

In terms of power, I reckon hed be somewhere in primarch territory, with an emphasis on survivability. Loads of ways to cheat death. Just makes sense, considering even a lowly lord has S and T5. Maybe S6 T7, 2+ 3++? Lowish amount of attacks though, 3 to 4 maybe...

Either way. Big news for necrons. Makes me wonder what else might be coming...

I dont think so. He will get stats like the Sauthek Stormlord - but even better Equipment / rules I think.

A phaeron is a bit stronger then a space marines in the lore - that should be enough. Dont Forget that Abaddon statline is Close to normal but he is still a beast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users