The Silent King Returns!

NTaW

I'm not familiar of this Vect person. I was drawing the comparison to factions that have this god/godlike figure that have seeded the foundations to their empire. The Chaos Gods, The Emperor of Mankind and similar to that.

Whilst not a God, The Silent King is the pinnacle of Necrons, there is no one else above him. That's why I feel he cannot be compared to a Primarch, who still look to Emperor

Question about Necron lore. In the video there's a symbol of an orb surrounded with three "claws" at 0:20 and a similar symbol, but with four claws, at 1:06. Does that symbol have a pre-existing meaning or has it shown up before?

It's reminiscent of the C'Tan Shard of the Deceiver head, but nothing else that I know of.

Plus, with the times it showed up at during the video, I think it's meant to represent Mephet'ran during the agreement for biotransference.

Okay, I thought it might represent the warp and chaos; three claws for the three chaos gods that existed before the Eldar fall and then four in M41. The first image made me think of the Necrons seeding the galaxy with pylons to hold the warp in check and the second seemed like ascendent chaos over the mortal races when the Eye tore open. 

I'm not familiar of this Vect person. I was drawing the comparison to factions that have this god/godlike figure that have seeded the foundations to their empire. The Chaos Gods, The Emperor of Mankind and similar to that.

Whilst not a God, The Silent King is the pinnacle of Necrons, there is no one else above him. That's why I feel he cannot be compared to a Primarch, who still look to Emperor

Vect is a survivor of the Fall of the Eldar, making him one of (if not the) oldest Eldar alive and with direct memories of their power at its height. He's the political mastermind of Comorragh, the hub of Dark Eldar power. He used to have a model - him riding around in his personal Ravager - and was an example of an important character who wasn't a combat beast, but still had good rules (because he was basically a better Ravager).

++Engage Theory Mode++

OsvpP1U.png?1

3rd Ed called it? (I know lore has changed a tad since this point and this prophecy is not present in the current codex IIRC).

The Banshee's call shall wake the DEAD (Guilliman and the general rise of the Ynnari) [Also a recent box set name, coincidence?]

The Eldar are too few, cannot take down the Necron's alone and as such are trying to turn the Imperium against the Necrons such as we see in the Seers lies to the Inquisition [The Eldar expecting the continuation of the War in Heaven, even though TSK seems more interested in the Tyranids - The Eldar try to twist this into the idea that TSK CREATED the threat to win the War in Heaven once and for all]:

BsYsEhe.jpg

Their raising of Guilliman being a calculated ploy to soften relations between the two factions so that the Imperium would fight the Necrons in the Eldar's stead. In Imperium Nihilus Dante's Angels, who have had contact with the Silent King who may also have been using a ploy to soften relations with them due to the idea of the treaty between the Silent King and Sanguinius, but on Guilliman's orders will engage Szarekh's forces (giving us this rumoured 'Crons vs Blood Angels box).

Note the mention of Isha and the fact that as far as I remember she is currently still imprisoned with Nurgle, who is the current God who's forces are running amok within the main storyline. Perhaps her "eye of Isha shall dim" will be Nurgle stopping her whispering cures to the mortals forevermore.

Living dead - Legion of the Damned unleashed at last in full perhaps, the Emperor's Daemons finally getting a full reveal?

Or perhaps a nod to the Death Guard and Nurgles forces themselves.

Somehow the C'tan are united, creating a great schism or revealing the Outsider-Tyranid connection as a way to free his kin from the Necrons?

Szeras' plans and convictions are opposed to that of Szarekh's this may be the brother against brother, a great Necron civil war when the Silent King returns.
Or perhaps it's Imperium Nihilus turning against the greater Imperium to side with the Necrons while Guilliman sides with the Eldar while Dante and the SK turn back the tides of the Nids.

Instead of the C'Tans legions being the Necrontyr, they're the Nid's and those dimwit elves have misread their fortunes and blamed the Necron causing the last minute reuniting of the Imperium and Necrons against the Nids.

[A Deadily Shroud Shall Fall Across The Spirit] - Shadow in the Warp?

++End Theory Mode++

+Dumb theory which pulls from long dead lore buuuuut.... I think it beats 13 Black Crusades for just 1 win+

Edited by TootiusNootius

++Engage Theory Mode++

OsvpP1U.png?1

3rd Ed called it? (I know lore has changed a tad since this point and this prophecy is not present in the current codex IIRC).

It fits well with what was going on in third edition and some of fourth/fifth.

the Eye of Terror campaign lead up and wrap up. The first part was settled by the Necrons becoming active (beyond raiding parties) and getting a codex. The pariahs were the new Necron hotness. The Eye of Isha is the symbol for Ulthwé and they got whooped, including losing Eldrad (retcon'ed) as well as the release of Nurgle's zombie plague (the living dead) along with Typhus. Everyone then gets involved. The Vaul-Moon and Dragon received further set up, but then stopped being talked about and began to change. They kept Maugan Ra going to Ulthwé to call upon all the Dark Reapers to go after his craftworld.

EDIT: Regarding the second part

the Eldar may have a very skewed view of the War in Heaven.
Edited by jaxom

It fits well with what was going on in third edition and some of fourth/fifth.

the Eye of Terror campaign lead up and wrap up. The first part was settled by the Necrons becoming active (beyond raiding parties) and getting a codex. The pariahs were the new Necron hotness. The Eye of Isha is the symbol for Ulthwé and they got whooped, including losing Eldrad (retcon'ed) as well as the release of Nurgle's zombie plague (the living dead) along with Typhus. Everyone then gets involved. The Vaul-Moon and Dragon received further set up, but then stopped being talked about and began to change. They kept Maugan Ra going to Ulthwé to call upon all the Dark Reapers to go after his craftworld.

EDIT: Regarding the second part

the Eldar may have a very skewed view of the War in Heaven.

Reworking of old lore perhaps? Considering the retconning of Eldrad's death, like I mentioned in the post, this passage never appears again but it did feel pretty pertinent. 

I like that the War in Heaven still has no defined narrative as it really does hammer home that "Everything is canon, not everything is true" ethos which GW use to justify any lore rework/retcon.

I don't recall necrons referring to one another as "brothers". In BFG 2 Trazyn explicitly states that the Amurkham Dynasty aren't "his kind".

I'm 100% sure that brother against brother is astartes based and remember that GW said that 2 primarchs would return and change sides so my bet is on Lion El Jonson chaosified fighting against a repenting Luther.

Potential Leaks based on the 23rd:

Do we get a model reveal for the Silent King?

Yes. It's not as big as you'd think. Think more akin to Orpheon Katakros than Nagash. Looks like he's more of a commander than a beatstick.

Do Necrons get anything else?

A few models updates. Flayed ones are cool, you get 5 of them for £25. They're predominantly monopose, but they have different aesthetic options (you can have them with eldar bits, ork bits, human bits, tyranid bits or tau bits as flesh hanging off). Sadly I don't know if these aesthetic changes do anything rules wise.

I’m skeptical of 5 for 25GBP, because that seems too cheap, but new flayed ones is definitely a win. Katakros-style Silent King isn’t much of a surprise, but it is a bit of welcome news—Triarch entourage, perhaps?

I agree with Tyriks I’d like to know the source. Has this person been used before/are they reliable?

I'm also curious about the color scheme - if there is a Szarekhan dynasty coming I really hope it's not too similar to my scheme! I went with purple as the royal color since my Phaeron is convinced he has the right to take Szarekh's throne, so I'm worried it will be similar (if that's happening) and people will think I'm playing them.

I’m skeptical of 5 for 25GBP, because that seems too cheap, but new flayed ones is definitely a win. Katakros-style Silent King isn’t much of a surprise, but it is a bit of welcome news—Triarch entourage, perhaps?

I agree with Tyriks I’d like to know the source. Has this person been used before/are they reliable?

Definitely it'll be between £28 and £32.50 for 5 - From the last Pariah short story [Gone Dark] it looks like they will get an avoids Overwatch ability too.

I am liking the idea of Szarekh uniting Triarch units with whichever Dynasty rules he brings, perhaps he allows the Triarch units and a differing Dynasty to work together better [adding more synergy to the faction], as if he and his Praetorians are travelling from Dynasty to Dynasty to lead them when needed & unite them.

I am not huge on these diorama models, pain to transport, but I am sure it'll look imposing.

I'm also curious about the color scheme - if there is a Szarekhan dynasty coming I really hope it's not too similar to my scheme! I went with purple as the royal color since my Phaeron is convinced he has the right to take Szarekh's throne, so I'm worried it will be similar (if that's happening) and people will think I'm playing them.

Maybe he'll be a Triarch unit which could be used with any Dynasty but buff through the <Necron> keyword [Creating synergy which is currently a little lacking]? It's not quite the Bobby G in every Imperium army issue of early 8th [Mainly because we don't have a dozen different factions] and if only one Dynasty get's Szarekh that'll be a shame, as GW have started locking off characters from specific sub-factions [such as Abby].

I assumed he'd be our shiny golden ornamented lad, with a scheme closer to the Triarch units which exist already, but far prettier - Will he come with a mask of Sanger as an option is my question? 

Edited by TootiusNootius

I sort of hope the Silent King's Dynasty is the Triarch, which would buff uniquely Triarch units (potentially introducing more) or have its own version of doctrines that set it apart and could be used to show Necron armies united under his rule.

This opens up areas for Dynasties to be outside of the Triarch or in open opposition to it, and with all luck and the finest quality tin foil hats maybe even a C'Tan HQ option for enslaved Dynasties.

Edited by NTaW

It’s a cool concept for the fluff, but I don’t like it for game mechanics.

It leads to a situation where the silent kill/triach rules are so good it’s the only dynasty option you see or it’s so bad you never see it, and therefore don’t see the Silent King played. It’s a problem a lot of other key characters from other codexes seem to have.

I’d much rather the silent king be universal with no specific dynasty. He should be a model that benefits all Necron armies.

The conflict of those dynasties fighting against his return should be left in the fluff.

So, I’ll put up my speculation/wish list for the Silent King.

I actually don’t want a Katakros like model. I think he looks really awesome. But in game the interactions of all the unique models on his base seem like they’d get lost. I’d rather a bunch of individual models personally. It just feels to static and “strike a pose”y. I‘d like something more dynamic.

I think the Silent King should be standing strong on his own personal command barge. Bedecked with awesome esoteric weapons. He should also be a close combat beast. Once upon a time Necron Overlords used to be close combat masters. There’s a reason one defeated Lucius.

I’m thinking he should be T7(probably be T6), 2+/3++(but at least 4++), 12W with quantum shielding. He should also have the old chariot rule where once the CCB is destroyed you place him in its position on foot. Where he’s T6, 2+3++ with 8Ws.

While I do think he should carry good army buffs I’d rather he be a tank that can get stuck in and take down a knight. I’d like to have a center piece model that can be really impactful rather then just help reroll dice.

I think the chariot rule would be a nice way of making him different. At 12w’s to start he would be targeted on his ride. But if he is focused down he’d come back on foot with the character rule for late game protection.

Edited by NTaW
Merged posts.

It leads to a situation where the silent kill/triach rules are so good it’s the only dynasty option you see or it’s so bad you never see it, and therefore don’t see the Silent King played. It’s a problem a lot of other key characters from other codexes seem to have.

I’d much rather the silent king be universal with no specific dynasty. He should be a model that benefits all Necron armies.

The conflict of those dynasties fighting against his return should be left in the fluff.

I disagree. Giving him the triarch keyword wouldnt really lock him into anything. Just have the triarch stay as it is right now: doesnt benefit from host rules, but doesnt disrupt them either. Though youre right about opposing dynasties... Id rather it be purely characters. Specifically, disallow the Stormlord in an army featuring Szarekh. If youre running his Dynasty, its obviously some minor lord trying to oust him. ^^

So, I’ll put up my speculation/wish list for the Silent King.

I actually don’t want a Katakros like model. I think he looks really awesome. But in game the interactions of all the unique models on his base seem like they’d get lost. I’d rather a bunch of individual models personally. It just feels to static and “strike a pose”y. I‘d like something more dynamic.

I think the Silent King should be standing strong on his own personal command barge. Bedecked with awesome esoteric weapons. He should also be a close combat beast. Once upon a time Necron Overlords used to be close combat masters. There’s a reason one defeated Lucius.

I’m thinking he should be T7(probably be T6), 2+/3++(but at least 4++), 12W with quantum shielding. He should also have the old chariot rule where once the CCB is destroyed you place him in its position on foot. Where he’s T6, 2+3++ with 8Ws.

While I do think he should carry good army buffs I’d rather he be a tank that can get stuck in and take down a knight. I’d like to have a center piece model that can be really impactful rather then just help reroll dice.

I think the chariot rule would be a nice way of making him different. At 12w’s to start he would be targeted on his ride. But if he is focused down he’d come back on foot with the character rule for late game protection.

This would be amazing! One could only hope...

Also, just have a story where TSK visits the Stormlords crown world and has a “discussion” about whose time has passed. Then they could get along like Magnus and Ahriman (which is to say not great, but can fight together).

Edited by Ichar

One setback for Necrons is that Triarch units don't benefit from any Dynastic rules. As far as I'm aware there are only 2 Triarch units, Praetorians and Stalker. So you need not worry of abusing Triarch rules.

I think giving Triarch a selection of optional buffs similar to Dynastic Codes would be a great idea. It'll be a supporting sub-dynasty that could synergise with the actual dynasty.

The idea is easy to implement too since Triarchs have the TRIARCH keyword. Just add a page similar to Dynastic Codes from the codex that has 5-6 options for our Triarch units to give synergised buffs to our Dynasties

Edited by Get Thokt

To try and better word my thoughts on the Triarch suggestion, I think it would be interesting if his Code was "Triarch" or that he has an ability that benefits other keyword Triarch units since Praetorians exist to enforce the Triarch's (see also: his) laws. If it was his Code it wouldn't exclude any units since they would replace <dynasty> with <triarch> and be on with it and if it was an ability it could be as simple as he can issue MWBD to all Necron infantry or as convoluted as they want to make it (I would hope for a bit more than what Anrakyr and Imotekh can already do).

Other than that, absolutely any army you play with him in it represents one under his rule and one without him could be otherwise motivated. If it's represented with actual rules it takes nothing away from using him (though there will always be "the" units for competitive play) but if it's represented only in lore that's cool too.

I'd still chomp at the bit for a C'Tan HQ and enslaved Dynasty rules though. If that happened and there are indeed the resculpts heading our way I would end up with two Necron armies and half a reason why they look so different.

For me personally I’d prefer the silent king buff all Necrons regardless of their dynastic code. I think there are too many HQs locked to specific dynasties in the codex already.

My concern is that if GW does dynasty lock his buffs with a key word like “triarch” and that dynasty code sucks we’ll never put him in a list. See recent named HQs like Shadowsun.

I feel like the odds of GW giving us a new dynasty code that is awesome is about the same as GW giving us one that is “reroll morale checks.”

I have to check this for myself but apparently in the Silent King video, the ark he rides in carries the Sautekh symbol. If that is true, then that can't be a coincedence and we may actually see him locked to Sautekh. I'll watch the video when I have time to confirm this.

Edit: look at the glyph behind the ark at 0:45. That is Sautekh without a doubt

Edited by Get Thokt