Night Lords Warband and Chaos Lost and the Damned

Will you run them as primaris or chaos?

Chaos of course!

:tongue.:

Yeah, I know, Primaris are the new shiny OP kids on the block, but I have always vied for the underdog.

And I think using these converted bikes is just very fluffy in the context of playing cruel sadistic space pirates who steal and plunder to survive.

I usually play for fun and to create some great battle stories, and not playing to win.

I actually get bored pretty quickly if I have an opponent who has no interest in the backstory of his army and just plays to win.

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

--- Astropathic Message from Mining Substation Beta 9 Theta---

Message reads:

Our security detail discovered one of our mining outposts on planetoid Thorus Beta completely devastated.

Contact to the outpost had been lost 5 days ago, and although security was dispatched immediately, no trace of the attackers could be found.

All personnel of the station was mutilated beyond recognition and most equipment either stolen or destroyed.

Only grainy monochrome picts exist from a single surviving survey drone.

The attackers, who we believe to be pirate raiders, left a message, which was smeared in crude letters on the walls using blood and entrails of the victims:

"The Ultra Flayers are coming for you. Ave Dominus Nox."

We believe we have not see the last of these raiders.

We request urgent assistance by any Imperial force close enough.

May the Emperor protect us.

Message ends.

I did some more work on these guys.

At first I wanted to just cover up some gaps and those pesky purity seals.

But then I got a bit carried away with the green stuff.

The story is now that the part of the war band who stole the war gear of the ambushed Ultramarines now call themselves the "Ultra Flayers".

Each of them carries the skull of the previous owner of the battle suit on their backpack and the flayed skin pinned to the armor for decoration.

I think this will look glorious (gore-ious? :p)  when painted up :D

I think especially the Khornate guy with the chain axes has turned out very well. :D

green-stuff1.jpg

green-stuff-2.jpg

green-stuff-3.jpg

green-stuff-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, did some more painting and just finished up a unit of Obliterators.

I am a slow painter, and it took me around 20 hours for both. Meaning, 10 days, in the evenings, after work. Felt like forever.

And I am not the neatest of painters, so dark and gritty Blanchitsu style will have to do. :p

However.

I love these new models!

They were really fun to paint.

I still remember the old metal models, from my first Chaos Marine army, and they were terribly ugly- these new ones are a far cry from that.

Oblits-vorne.jpg

Oblits-hinten.jpg

Plus I also started work on the Possessed and Haarken...

but with a long work week ahead, who knows how long they will take.

Slowly but surely I am getting an army together...

WIP1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I finished three more warriors for my warband.

First of, Haarken.

Who, painted in my colours, needs to be re-named.

"I am Hassuch, collector of skulls and eater of loyalist hearts. I strike from the heaven, out of the dark and from dense clouds, I move like a shadow and I am the last thing you will ever see."

(please note "Hassuch" is pronounced the German way, with a growling "ch" sound at the end. :p )

Haarken1.jpg#

Haarken2.jpg

Plus I finished my two Greater Possessed.

Awesome and fun models.

"We are the Bonded. Twins by blood, twins by spirit, twins by curse. We only live for the hunt. The chase is on."

Possessed.jpg

Possessed-hinten.jpg

Plus looks as if the Loyalist Flayers will get some re-inforcements since a friend also had three of the easy to build Intercessors lying around and has gifted them to me.

Already working on some nasty conversions.

Thank you both!

Now I just need the time to get around to painting all of these guys.

However, since I have pledged on this forum that I will get these pesky Indomitus Necrons out of the way first, I keep these much more exciting figures for later in the year when I hopefully have some more time off work. :D

And here they are....

the three new members of the Loyalist Flayers.

Including Chikrass, the Plasma Duellist- not even an exploding plasma pistol could sway him away from his favorite weapon.

Instead, he ripped the augmetic limb from a still twitching loyalist and is now using it as his own. Including the pistol he stole from said loyalist.

Flayers-new.jpg

I am very grateful for the friend of mine who gifted them to me. They are just the three easy to build Intercessors. With added battle damage and Chaos bling.

Working on them has made my day-

I had another one of THOSE days at work and it was very therapeutic to vent some aggression by modelling some flayed skin on these guys. :p

• 2 weeks later...

And I got another present from another friend who bought the Conquest magazines just for the paints.

Surprise parcel with six more Intercessors for me to play with from a friend.

Guess I now have another Champion, Standard Bearer and Plasma- gunner for my war band. :biggrin.:

Now these guys definitely show their true colours and which master they truly follow...

I am looking forward to painting them in all gory detail. :biggrin.:

Champion-and-standard.jpg

And yes, I glued a demon skull and a blood letter head to the front of Primaris helmets.

Oh, and just because I could (and running out of chaos bits and ideas) I thought I also get some victims for target practice in. Maybe one day I might feel in the mood and might add to my loyalists again. :tongue.:

Target-Practice.jpg

Basically, these are the same suits of armour and the same guys.... just before being skinned alive. :tongue.:

Mmm-mmm... defiled chest plates...

Feels good.

BTW, can't believe I forgot to comment on your previous post! I really like those guys, specially the one in the middle! Regarding your newest additions, I find the horns of the first one a tad too big. I would actually chop 'em off and file down after. If you feel like it, you can cut the tips and attach them to the forehead. Anyway, it is just a suggestion! I also feel you when you say that working on the minis is therapeutic :).

Keep up the good work!

Mmm-mmm... defiled chest plates...

Feels good.

BTW, can't believe I forgot to comment on your previous post! I really like those guys, specially the one in the middle! Regarding your newest additions, I find the horns of the first one a tad too big. I would actually chop 'em off and file down after. If you feel like it, you can cut the tips and attach them to the forehead. Anyway, it is just a suggestion! I also feel you when you say that working on the minis is therapeutic :smile.:.

Keep up the good work!

Hmm.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Well, I was actually thinking about which of the skulls I should use for the champion of the squad. I had the same thoughts as you. However. As the champion, he definitely should have the biggest. :p

And I actually kind of like it. I will have to see how he looks like painted up, if I hate it I might just make him a new head. :D

I am aware that these huge horns are massively impractical for space pirates, so I assume he only wears them if he wants to intimitate and spread terror. Kind of like the fancy armour used in medieval tournaments. He will have a more practical "battle helmet" for when he is actually doing space ship to ship assaults. And sneaking about.

And there you go, I already can justify why it looks so ridiculous. :p

As I said above, I am really going for the over the top comic book look here. A complete contrast to the loyalist army I had a while back. These guys will be so much fun to paint! No danger of getting bored halfway through like I did with my loyalists.

I really like and admire your work, too. You are a real inspiration!

Of course! These are your minis and, if they fit the theme you're after, then by all means keep this aesthetic! Specially if you like it (duh!). They will be indeed fun to paint, and I must say that you're a very skilled painter, so I am looking forward to see them :d. Oh, regarding the impractical helmets, you've got a very good point there. After all, a similar concept is explored in the Night Lords trilogy! Now it makes even more sense.

BTW,

And I actually kind of like it. I will have to see how he looks like painted up, if I hate it I might just make him a new head.

That is the right attitude towards this. No need to stress. After all, this is what we do to vent some steam, right? And thank you for your kind words ^^. Yours are awesome AND they are even painted (with awesome lightning bolts included) :biggrin.:!

Looking forward to your next update!

• 1 month later...

Right.

Since I nearly finished my Necrons for my vow in the Necron forum, I thought it was time to renew my pledge to the Dark Gods.

So I acquired some re-inforcements.

old-termies-WIP.jpg

I made quite a great bargain on Ebay and bought a pile of broken scrap for 10 Euros.

Among this were some old plastic Chaos Terminators and Dark Angels Terminator weapons.

So I created some Pirate Terminators for my war band who had just beaten a unit of Dark Angels (or were they Fallen? I have not decided yet).

To spite the beaten Loyalists (?), they now go into battle sporting these weapons, having stained the Dark Angels symbols with the blood of slain enemies.

I know they do not look very exciting (and are WIP), but hey, what more could you want for 10 Euros?

Plus, they will lighten the wait for me for the new shiny Forgeworld Night Lord Terminators which I am desperately waiting for. :p

old-termies-wip-2.jpg

I also got Fabius- I always liked his background and the new model is amazing.

And he is large!

He even towers over a normal Primaris.

Fabius.jpg

I now have a few days off and really hope I can find the time and motivation to appease the Dark Gods-

and of course mollify the accusing looks of the unpainted miniatures in my display cabinet. :p

Nice update! Seeing your pics, I am excited to try underpainting/value sketching myself, hopefuly soon! Wow, Fabius is quite tall indeed. Looking forward for more.

I find the value sketching extremely useful. I am not a very clean painter, so it really helps with me planning out a project.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I know I should really get going with my Chaos army.

But I really suffer from "oh, new shiny!" syndrome. :tongue.:

I got the Assault Intercessor by McFarlane toys and spent all week to make him less boring.

It took me longer than expected, I had originally planned this as a Halloween post.

I really toned it down, I had all kinds of conversion ideas, including some chains, but this time, I wanted to keep it realistic and to keep all the original articulation and movement.

Too many spikes and skulls would have interfered.

I also added some battle damage, again without going overboard.

So here he is, the large scale version of Mephistopheles the Grim, Lord of the Night, Taker of Skulls.

As is customary for my warband, he has slain a pathetic loyalist, taken his armour and desecrated it and is proudly displaying the loyalist's skull on his backpack.

The figure is quite large, I added the original Mephistopheles as a size comparison.

Ave Dominus Nox!

Mephisto-1.jpg

Mephisto-2.jpg

Mephisto3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Due to real life (working full time in a COVID testing lab), I only just today managed to finish my Terror Bikes.

Yeah, I am pretty behind with my painting....

As shown earlier, I had converted them from the Indomitus box.

I wanted to make them look utterly terrifying and brutal.

And I think my dark and gritty painting style kind of suits the dirty nature of these bikes, trowing up choking fumes, muck and mud in their wake, while roaring into battle, tearing limb from limb.

:D

IhK6DU.jpg

The deadly triad

K3QIHO.jpg

29WNmZ.jpg

dAyQG0.jpg

l5RNpo.jpg

Funnily enough, I only just recently found my VERY FIRST 40k figure at the back of a cupboard at my parents place.

And, I had to laugh, it was indeed a Chaos Bike I painted back then, supposedly also a Night Lord (at least that is what it says on the base... :p )

This was 15 years ago.

These models REALLY need an overhaul....

However, at least I see a slight improvement of my painting.

Har0pG.jpg

nIVc9m.jpg

I think I might give this guy a re-paint one of these days. :D

Beautiful work on the bikers. Are the Night Lords riding captured Primaris Outrider bikes, or Great Crusade-era bikes whose design Cawl modified (and then stole the credit for) for his Primaris Marines?

My warband is a group of cowardly and ruthless space pirates.

Much of their gear is stolen from Imperial ships they have ambushed.

They strike from the void and will shy away from a fair fight.

This gives me the chance to explain all the converted Primaris armour in my Chaos army (since I converted half of the Indomitus box for my warband).

Plus that unit of terminators carrying Dark Angels weapons. :p

• 10 months later...

Had been very busy with real life, so it took some time for me to make any more progress.

Let's face it, real life and a demanding job can be pretty tedious.

But now, winter (and more COVID restrictions) have arrived, so hopefully I might get some more time working on my Night Lords army.

As a treat, I bid on Ebay on an old classic Demon Prince- I have always loved the model, so I finally managed to get my hands on one.

This is the Exhalted, Demon Prince of the 8th Legion

Demon-Prince1.jpg

Demon-Prince2.jpg

I also finished some Atramentar (I love these classic plastic Chaos Terminators) as well as a Plague Doctor and a Zombie Sharpshooter.

I am surprised how well Plague Marines work in Midnight Clad!!

This was actually just an experiment, since I liked the models but had no motivation also starting with Death Guard.

Well, I guess it worked.

:D

Termies-1.jpg

Termies3.jpg

Zombie-Guy.jpg

Plague-Doctor.jpg

Plague-Doctor2.jpg

Since I had already spend some time on Ebay, I even found a real treasure, an only slightly damaged Sevatar- who I repaired to the best of my humble abilities. I love the model and the pose and I also like the Black Library audio drama featuring him (Long Night). He is just so awesomely sarcastic.

He will be one of the crown jewels of my collection and I am looking forward to painting him!

Sevatar.jpg

Next up for painting- 16 converted rank and file troops (stolen Loyalist armour).

Lets hope it won't be another 11 months until I am able to report back with progress.....