Halls of Titan - WIPs and Contemplations

Skywrath

Greetings, Sons of Titan. This thread is designed to be like the one in Amicus Ades forum, but specific to us, Grey Knights. As this is essentially the lounge area of the Grey Knights, do feel free to post your WIP/thoughts/conversions/fluff or anything of note you would like to share! Everyone is welcome.

As with everything, the watchful eye of the Inquisition is watching for any or all signs of corruption. For that reason, I request that all people on this forum  keep the discussion civil, with no ire raised when a person puts their efforts up for all to see.

I'll start - Picking up some Grey Knight paladins right now, and planning to build a Brother-Captain/Ancient/Apothecary out of it. I plan to build the GK BC with some heavy DA influences, exchanging his halberd for a Halberd of Caliban, and his sword for a Sword of Caliban. Still not sold on whether I want to go ahead with the hammer, but it's a consideration. Going to paint his tabard and cloak green, with him having green accents on the parchment wax.. This will also be my first attempt at magnetisation. 

Also I have a vision of dilution my Ahriman blue to a watery consistency, then "shading" the power weapon areas with that blue to give the appearance of a sheen of said power weapon. Not sure if it will work, but hey, discovery requires experimentation. More pictures hopefully tonight!

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Being essential and still working but I have got to work on my back log of projects.

Finished painting 5 strike marines and custom Brotherhood champion. Have another 2 5 man strike squads in various stages of paint. Plus 5 man psilencer purgation squad, 2 lascannon razorbacks, techmarine, and a venerable dreadnought primed black. That’s on top of the inquisitor lok & retinue, converted greyfax, 4 servitor, 3 TDA librarians, brother captain and chaplain to prime. Plus I have 20+ tda suits to build and probably the double that in pagk.

Edited by war009

I play both Admech and GK so im painting all my GK hoping to get them finished before the Admech models come out. Ive got about 60 Strike marines to touch up and finish lol

As for playing I have set up a TTS Tourney for my gaming group and will be using Grey Knights in that

Current WIP (in spoiler)

DA inspired brother captain - cloak was a real annoyance to get on, but eventually it fit reasonably well. Personally very proud of the Spear of Caliban kitbash to a nemesis halberd, thinking a bit of paint should fix the glue "edge". Likewise pretty happy how the Iron Halo turned out on him (took the tip of a nemesis warding stave and glued it on). Also surprisingly the drilling went smoothly as well - no issues whatsoever. 
lWo3K2y.jpg
wvX6dyp.jpg

Apothecary - nothing special, however I did magnetise all weapons you see in the picture. 
22iZf27.jpg
JaWLXcO.jpg
ZJUNK1R.jpg

Ancient 
qYqD5Eg.jpg
QoMx1Yc.jpg

2 Paladins to add to my squad of 5. 
fP3TVZ5.jpg
F4y3jRU.jpg\

I would say nuln oil (selectively shading), however I did see people using Lahriman Medium as a glaze. What type of white is this? Looks like Ceramite White.  

Edited by Skywrath

My focus, and resources, lately have been going towards building my 3rd Space Wolves army.  I'm currently building one composed of the Primaris units, to replace my older army of Firstborn models.  I've been using my Grey Knights army to play-test against, for the most part, and using them to validate my approach to the new Wolves.

Right now, work on the Grey Knights is on hold, as my focus is on rebuilding the Wolves, so I'm just sticking with the models that I've already got.  One of the main reasons that I'm not making any additions or changes to the current Grey Knights models, is that I want to wait and see what the future holds for them regarding Primaris models for the Grey Knights, as we've been discussing in the other thread.  I don't want to go building out several more units right now, and then be looking to replace them again a couple years down the road.

So, for now I've got the following to play around with:

Grandmaster Voldus

2x Grand Masters in Nemesis Dreadknight Armour (1 w/ Heavy Incinerator with Greatsword, and the other with a Heavy Psycannon and Heavy Incinerator with Greathammer)

Brother-Captain with Hammer, based off of Draigo model (the only unpainted model in the army)

Librarian

2x Apothecaries 

Ancient (that I haven't been using)

10 man Paladin Squad with 2 Psycannons (all melee weapon wrists are magnetized, so I'm running Hammer on the Paragon, 2 Warding Staves, and 7 Halberds)

3x 5 man Strike Squads (armed with a variety of Nemesis weapons, but I've been just counting them all as Falchions in 8th edition).

1x 5 man Purgation Squad (with 4x Psycannons).

I've also got a Rhino and 2 Razorbacks, from back in earlier editions where they were much cheaper, and could also cast Psychic powers.  Lately, my Space Wolves have been using them as counts-as Impulsors, for playtest purposes.

If I weren't currently on a hold for working on the Grey Knights, I'd build out 3 more Strike Squads, at least, just to get the build to a double-Battalion - those extra command points are super important.

I would say nuln oil (selectively shading), however I did see people using Lahriman Medium as a glaze. What type of white is this? Looks like Ceramite White.  

I think a mix of ceramtie white and white scar? It's been a while since I last worked on him, been working more on my Emperor's children the last week or so.

Due to work I have not that much time to paint.

But I have 10 Strike marines, still in the box, as is the 5 Paladins and my Dreadnought.

It is hard to find a 40K game when most people play 30K. However there is quite a lot of KT games, so I should at least come up with a KT team.

I think a mix of ceramtie white and white scar? It's been a while since I last worked on him, been working more on my Emperor's children the last week or so.

Yeah, that would do it. I still stand-by on my previous recommendation of the nuln oil recess shading. 

But I have 10 Strike marines, still in the box, as is the 5 Paladins and my Dreadnought.

It is hard to find a 40K game when most people play 30K. However there is quite a lot of KT games, so I should at least come up with a KT team.

Look forward to seeing them! 

Grey Knight kill team is fun and small.

Brotherhood Champion Landry De Lauzon

gallery_26778_16349_298401.jpg

the back log

Folder Link

Edited by war009

Keep up the work!

Waiting on the patch of rain to subside (as well as the magnets to arrive), then I can start spraying the weapons/figures. Hopefully I should have some pictures later this week for progress. 

Edited by Skywrath

Hey guys,

Great to see so much amazing work here.

I've been holding on to a bunch of stuff I got at Christmas (Thanks to some VERY generous relatives) for the ETL this year, so in my current pile o' shame I have:

1 Grand Master

2 Brother Captains

1 Brotherhood Champion

1 Techmarine

4 Paladins

5 Terminators

5 Interceptors

5 Purifiers

1 Rhino

1 Land Raider

1 Stormraven

I'll probably stick to the plan and save these for the next ETL, whenever that might be.

I have started work on a Librarian, based on the new Terminator Librarian model, for the Lockdown Painting Challenge...

wYckc0Q.jpg

Not a huge fan of the sculpt, the pose makes it seem very 2 dimensional to me, but I am looking forward to painting a new brother for my Grey Knights.

Welcome to the Halls of Titan, Freakshow! The GK are dearly in need of more battle-brothers.

I personally love your librarian - the model, the helmet, the custom GK shoulders, everything. Did the shoulders pads fit on the librarian with any difficulty? I'm looking to get that model, for that exact same reason. 

Welcome to the Halls of Titan, Freakshow! The GK are dearly in need of more battle-brothers.

I personally love your librarian - the model, the helmet, the custom GK shoulders, everything. Did the shoulders pads fit on the librarian with any difficulty? I'm looking to get that model, for that exact same reason.

Thank you,

The Storm bolter arm I just replaced with one from the GK terminator kit and was very straightforward. The original right shoulder pad has the shoulder built in, so a GK pad fit fine, but there's a void beneath which needed filling with green stuff and was easy enough.

The head, however, was an absolute nightmare to swap (literally, I wake up in cold sweats). The original head plugs in and the space where the head goes is really awkward, far smaller than on a normal model and a really odd shape. I spent hours whittling away at GK helmets trying to get one to fit. It was hard to cut enough away without ruining the visible part of the helmet, even after drilling the back out of the hole and the head still sticks out too much for my liking.

Hopefully it'll look ok once painted.

Looking forward to seeing the end product! 

Didn't think that would be that much of a problem to replace a head, but surely duly noted. That is assuming that model is still available..

Just realised my magnets are 1mm too large.. rip. 

DOH!...…. I hate it when that happens:facepalm:

Yeah.. would any of you know whether the citadel drill can accommodate 3mm drillbits? Just saves me the effort of buying another set of magnets, but then again they are pretty cheap. However that didn't stop me from completing my ancient and the spear of caliban! Pictures in spoiler. I'll have a picture of the other two paladins shortly. Once I work out whether I'm getting a new set of magnets or another drillbit, I'll have the BC and the apothecary ready. 

gypkuKx.jpg
gLEQNlA.jpg

Spear is complete, Demon hammer needs some polishing (pun ABSOLUTELY intended xD), and the stave needs some work on it. Even though the power blades looks blue on the picture, IRL, in the presence of light, it's pretty grey. However when you turn it into the light, it has a pretty distinct characteristic sheen of that blue that you see in the picture. Still playing around with water-pigment ratio, but so far so good. The ancient is probably the best example of what I had in mind, however I probably would have put a bit more blue in hindsight.
Edited by Skywrath

Going to be a while till I finish these as I have many Eldar corsairs to finish first.

But I tried applying heat with a lighter to bend the legs for better poses. Burnt them up a bit lol. Could be worse I guess

I also made a mold and cast the justicars halberd. Turned out pretty well!

gallery_80056_16040_132847.jpg

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Decided to be lazy and purchase a rare painted Forgeworld Dreadnought and a painted Voldus. Pictures coming soon, hopefully this week.

A question though: With regards to painting GK, I'm in a bit of a cross-roads. Here's the backstory: When I painted my Greenwing Dark Angels (the non Deathwing/Ravenwing miniatures), I always washed the entire miniature with Nuln Oil. Seeing how washing Stormhost Silver GK with Nuln oil is VIRTUALLY out of the question for obvious reasons, I chanced across some videos that told me to do each of the following, in the same manner (washing them). The reason I ask this is because I'm not good at painting, let alone selectively shading the miniature. The options are:

1. Light wash with Drakenhoff Nightshade over Stormhost

2. 'Ardcoat wash over Stormhost

3. Lahmian Medium mixed with a blue (probably Ahriman Blue or Macragge Blue) to wash the entire miniatures.

So which one would you think work best? And if you do any of the above, may I request pictures? All three options work for me, however I think option 1 or 2 would work the best because of my inexperience. Glossy is probably the vision I have in mind when painting Grey Knights.

Edited by Skywrath