Halls of Titan - WIPs and Contemplations

Skywrath

I’ve been doing leadbelcher then heavy dry brush grey Knight steel and eventual a bikini oil wash once I block out the other colors before doing the storm host silver edge dry brush

Decided to be lazy and purchase a rare painted Forgeworld Dreadnought and a painted Voldus. Pictures coming soon, hopefully this week.

1. Light wash with Drakenhoff Nightshade over Stormhost

2. 'Ardcoat wash over Stormhost

3. Lahmian Medium mixed with a blue (probably Ahriman Blue or Macragge Blue) to wash the entire miniatures.

So which one would you think work best? And if you do any of the above, may I request pictures? All three options work for me, however I think option 1 or 2 would work the best because of my inexperience. Glossy is probably the vision I have in mind when painting Grey Knights.

If I may throw in a 4th recommendation:

- Leadbelcher undercoat

- Drybrush a medium silver tone (I'm using Chainmail Silver from Vallejo)

- Wash entire miniature with Gryph-Charger Grey

- light drybrush medium silver tone to clean up any surfaces that ended up too stained by the Contrast paint

- light drybrush of bright silver on the most exposed surfaces

This is what I end up with:

LgUSsoG.jpg

On a fully painted mini, it could look like this:

KE2shju.jpg

Hey, welcome to the Halls of Titan! Always pleasant to see another Grey Knight join our brotherhood :smile.:

An interesting consideration for sure! That kind of silver you have in the second picture is the one I envision for the army, however I would want other's opinions as well before I finalise the decision.

Edited by Skywrath

I'm currently waiting on 9th before deciding, I want to add more Strike Squads and a Purgation squad but will wait until we know for sure points changes and whether we get Primaris or not.

Likewise. I do wonder whether this is the edition where we will finally get primaris. If not, then I'm afraid the GK will be left in the dust.

Edited by Skywrath

I still have a ton of stuff to build and paint for grey knights so I’m just working painting the built stuff for now. Granted 9e will change things but if I can get my 8e 500 pts painted and based at least I accomplished that instead of just painting a few models here and there to get them table top. My 8e gk Army was actually built for Kill team so extra motivation to get them all done. Edited by war009

I'm currently waiting on 9th before deciding, I want to add more Strike Squads and a Purgation squad but will wait until we know for sure points changes and whether we get Primaris or not.

How many Strike Squads do you currently have?

3 built plus @ 50+ more unbuilt but that’s gonna be broken up into purifiers, inceptors, purgation, strikes and vehicle crew. Plus @ 20 terminators/ paladins to build

How many Strike Squads do you currently have?

I currently have 4 x 5 man squads and the same in Terminators. I want to try out a Purgation squad so will get some strikes and just amalgamate the heavy wweapons.

Prime Leadbelcher, dry brush Grey Knight Steel, paint other colors (black, red, whites, gold, brown etc) wash of nuln oil on the entire model, high light other colors (non metallic) and then dry brush necron compound on metal. Eyes are storm host silver and Guilliman Glaze. 

Edited by war009

And the next model in the queue:

Brother Techmarine Talus

gallery_26778_16349_103002.jpg

Standard finecast bare head techmarine with servo harness. Replaced standard axe arm with strike squad marine arm. Modified stormbolter to be bolter with optics and single magazine instead of double magazine.

Thanks he will have the easiest heraldry of them all...red back ground, white and black Cog/ Skull  Mechanicus logo :biggrin.:

Decided to embrace my inner Space Wolf (Dark Angel players that read this, please don't kill me), and jumped the gun with a conversion that would be considered illegal. Anyway, looks pretty good, although if I had a strike squad pauldron it would look better. Still pretty happy how the sculpt turned out - magnetising weapons as we speak. Presenting - the Grey Knight Apothecary! (Which may or may not have been primaris-fied, let's just assume that's artificer armor instead, m'kay?). Pictures in spoiler. 

k2V7lyN.jpg
G0ztxUG.jpg
9EbSiyu.jpg
6HA7Y49.jpg

Update: Due to :censored: with GW, the contrast spray thicked my miniature up something awful. As a result, it's now unsalvageable and hence the GK apothecary discarded. Great, there go 60 dollars. 

Edited by Skywrath

usually not in my experience...

That really sucks I've been there a few times myself. One thing I did love about having a huge army pewter sisters is that if I the paint gets messed up some how carb cleaner fixes it. 

DO NOT TRY CARB CLEANER ON PLASTIC MODELS

Edited by war009