Halls of Titan - WIPs and Contemplations

Skywrath

Other way around, I want to use that model with the brother captain rules, even though his model is a watch master. And then I do everything possible to make that model look like a Grey Knight, so it doesn't get removed from the TT for being an invalid model or conversion.

Just clarifying further, the stat sheet says he's a terminator due to deep strike and the 5+ invuln. However that model which I'm planning to convert has power armor, which means no deep strike. So this is just to be sure that a GW employee doesn't come to the table top deems the unit as an invalid conversion and costs me a game.

Judging by your confusion, I'm probably overthinking this..

Edited by Skywrath

From previous posts I understand that your local gaming group/store/whatever is particularly officious, I apologize if i have the wrong idea.  Most places in my experience and from others observations on the site the rule of cool takes precedence and that is probably causing the confusion.

From previous posts I understand that your local gaming group/store/whatever is particularly officious, I apologize if i have the wrong idea. Most places in my experience and from others observations on the site the rule of cool takes precedence and that is probably causing the confusion.

this lol

I didn't realise your gaming group were that douchey. In my opinion, as long as the models aren't confusing (so have clear wargear/iconography/unit distinction) and are relatively the same size, then use whatever model you want as whatever unit you want.

I don't really see why your gaming group would be so unfortunately anal about using the "correct" models either.

I mean, what if you were a master sculptor, and you a made your interpretation of a brother captain entirely from green stuff? Would they seriously object to using it because the armour didn't look like regular terminator armour? You see why this just goes down a very smelly rabbit hole that nobody really likes lol.

So I'm very sorry to hear about your gaming group.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

I don't really see why your gaming group would be so unfortunately anal about using the "correct" models either.

I mean, what if you were a master sculptor, and you a made your interpretation of a brother captain entirely from green stuff? Would they seriously object to using it because the armour didn't look like regular terminator armour? You see why this just goes down a very smelly rabbit hole that nobody really likes lol.

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.

@Shagah, particularly officious doesn't even come close to cutting it. I could wax eloquent a few paragraphs of how bad they are, but it's not the gaming group itself, it's the manager and his employees enforcing "company policy". The store I visit is probably the biggest one in Australia (no joke), with people flying from all corners of the island to attend tournaments. I would have attended that tournament if COVID didn't rear its' ugly head. That's probably why things are bad there - the pressure of running such a store.

@Captain Coolpants, actually they would have a problem, because it's not an official Games Workshop model. I believe one of the first warnings (or threats, depending on view) I got from the employees is that if he sees me using any amount of unofficial models, he would ban me from the store, and he would know if they are unofficial. I'm curious to see how they would know but that's another story altogether. The other things is, they don't allow FW models in the store either. The gaming group itself is nice, but there has been a history of backlashes ever since we got a new manager. There are others on the forum visiting the same store as me, that know what I'm talking about, and I'm only one of the latest. 

But either way, complaining about the store, isn't what I'm here about - in light of your responses, I'm just going to say :cuss it, and go ahead with that conversion anyway. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.  

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.

@Shagah, particularly officious doesn't even come close to cutting it. I could wax eloquent a few paragraphs of how bad they are, but it's not the gaming group itself, it's the manager and his employees enforcing "company policy". The store I visit is probably the biggest one in Australia (no joke), with people flying from all corners of the island to attend tournaments. I would have attended that tournament if COVID didn't rear its' ugly head. That's probably why things are bad there - the pressure of running such a store.

@Captain Coolpants, actually they would have a problem, because it's not an official Games Workshop model. I believe one of the first warnings (or threats, depending on view) I got from the employees is that if he sees me using any amount of unofficial models, he would ban me from the store, and he would know if they are unofficial. I'm curious to see how they would know but that's another story altogether. The other things is, they don't allow FW models in the store either. The gaming group itself is nice, but there has been a history of backlashes ever since we got a new manager. There are others on the forum visiting the same store as me, that know what I'm talking about, and I'm only one of the latest. 

But either way, complaining about the store, isn't what I'm here about - in light of your responses, I'm just going to say :censored: it, and go ahead with that conversion anyway. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.  

Sorry to hear about that Skywraith. The local Warhammer store  I frequent, previous manager  aka  Jerky McJerk face., told me me me no FW or Sisters of Battle models were allowed in store. I just looked at him and asked why. His direct response was, "I don't carry it it you cant play that army in the store, I advise you to buy a new army." ANd this was My first encounter with him.  I turned to another person in the store who I knew from other stores and said "is he serious." and the guy said "yup". I put the stuff I was going to buy away. 

I jumped in my vehicle drove to my FLGS to buy the models and told the owner what happened. He told me to call the other store and talk that manager.  called the other Warhammer store in my state and asked that Manager , Aka Baldy McCool  if that was the policy for all Warhammer stores.  His Response was,  "you have a sisters of battle army. is it recast." I told him no it was all pewter models that  I have had since 1997. His response was yeah you can play that army in store and FW models are ok too. " I explained what had a happened at the other store and was told yeah I am hearing that a lot now. 

Jerky McJerk Face was fired about a month or so later and when GW put the ad out for the new manager the told us why they fired him. He was doing all kinds of shady stuff and his regulars, aka "friends" that were banned from other stores already were banned from the warhammer stores too.  Now we have a cool manager at this location. 

.....they would have a problem, because it's not an official Games Workshop model.

It IS an official GW model. It's not a recast, it's not an off-brand replica. There really should be no problem. 

If the manager and employees still give you a hard time about it, make a complaint up the chain. You can also solicit feedback from other customers/players and managers from other stores to see if they have had similar feedback about this store. Unfortunately, there aren't any quick fixes to this kind of problem. You may end up with either giving in or packing up until there is a regime change at the store.

.....they would have a problem, because it's not an official Games Workshop model.

It IS an official GW model. It's not a recast, it's not an off-brand replica. There really should be no problem. 

If the manager and employees still give you a hard time about it, make a complaint up the chain. You can also solicit feedback from other customers/players and managers from other stores to see if they have had similar feedback about this store. Unfortunately, there aren't any quick fixes to this kind of problem. You may end up with either giving in or packing up until there is a regime change at the store.

That's not going to happen for the reasons I explained above (and in our PM's). Plus their counter-argument to that would be it wasn't manufactured by Games Workshop. They might add an IP infringement on top of that for using their product without permission. Either way, it's not worth the emotional energy to dealing with them.

Edited by Skywrath

Hi, fellow GK players :smile.: I've been following b&c forum for a few years, but this is my first post.

Recently I've been thinking about refreshing and actualizing existing army. And one idea strikes me - what if I will try to make small kitbash of our humble SS squad with legs from DW KT box - according to images in internet legs in that kit has slightly different proportions than other 'firstborn' marines, but all other bits - like head, body, hands are same. So I saw an opportunity in here.
After finishing first model in that fashion, I've compared it next to old metal GK, stock plastic GK, and some random Primaris marine for comparison
Here is photo result
Actually I was very pleased of how really good it looks like, and now I'm preparing full 10 man squad in same manner. And actually thinking about modifying major part of my existing GK army (which is about 60-ish 3+ models, inc about 20 metal models, which will not be modified) 

GK sizes comparison

Edited by Telepatrick

Yes, for some miraclous reason changing only one detail makes whole miniature looks differ - angle of hands, shoulders,whole silouette starts to looks better.

By then, I've assembled full 10 men squad of legs-swapped guys - will make some photos after priming somwhere in the middle of a week.

Also made some math about how many of existing models I need to redo:

So of total 60 power armor models, 10 are already legs-swapped, 10 purgation squad models glued with plastic glue too tight and cant be undone without high model or/paint damage, 15 are from metal kits which I dont want to damage also, and 25 are glued with CA glue, so it will be easy to make swap on new legs with fresh bases.

And small WIP of GM Voldus model which Im working on in a free time during few last weekends. It is almost finished, some final touches left on reds, blues, whites, then final varnish coat and some static grass.

GM Voldus WIP

Yet another update on my taller-marines operation
Finished assembling of 10 men squad last weekend, started to prep them for priming, and suddenly 9 ed price changes dropped like a hammer (ofcourse I've assembled them with falcions). So I've spent one extra-evening to carefully remove falcions, and prepared halberd bits in a way so they will be handled by one hand (I hate those two-handed wielding poses for power armored guys, when major part of model's facing covered by hands, halberd handle and SB).
So today, I've primed them, and airbrushed by thin coats of gunmetal followed by dark silver shooted from above.
Next step is to prepare yet another bunch of 25 legs on bases, prime them, and paint in same way. After that highlight with light silver, in one bunch with those 10 guys.
Few fresh photos, 10 men squad together, and yet another picture of two taller-marines, with their younger durpy brother. (I'm really-really pleased how much nicer those legs fits whole GK model, especially good it seen on 3 man photo, comparing left guy with center one).

GK SS 10 man squad wip

Legs Size comp

Edited by Telepatrick

Welcome to the Halls of Titan, Brother Telepatrick!

Strikes are tedious to assemble at best - massive respect for sticking through with the process! My strike squad are all with falchions as well, looks like I need to do the same as you did and give them spears. Not sure whether I have enough for that, might have to do ebay shopping..

Speaking of ebay shopping, I had a bombshell idea with assembling strikes. If I were to use these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warhammer-40K-Deathwatch-Veterans-Black-Shield-Capes-Cloaks-x-5-A3-A/224076221022

And do the strikes as normal, they should fit, right? Looked at a few youtube videos that showed they had the clips that match the torso of the strike squad. Remove the knobs from the backs, drill a hole for magnetisation, and it should work out nicely. However, I'm not exactly convinced the back will match the torso size. My intution is telling me it will, but can anyone comment on that? 

Edited by Skywrath

• 2 weeks later...

A series of questions:

1. I was planning on using the Deathwatch Watch Master as my brother-captain, over here in Aus, he has been sold out for about 2 months now. I'm eyeing a primaris captain in tacticus armor and thinking about giving him the GK treatment. On the table-top, I'd use him as a regular brother-captain. Think that would work?

2. I have a series of Strikes - 10 with falchions, and I can't put spears on them, because I assembled them strangely, to give them strange poses. Would swords be a good alternative? Theoretically, I could be snipping the hands off at the wrist, and adding a sword there. 

3. Psychic Focus - that's the one that made our Smites always WC 5 right?

Edited by Skywrath

1. Well, from my point of view if model in datasheet wears TDA armour - it should wear TDA armour, and no excuses like "oh, that is artificer, or special pattern". Because in GK background clearly stated which unit wears which type of armour. So, personally I would not use nor DW Watch master as bro cap, because watch master wears power armor set, not any primaris cap model, because he also wears power armor. PA and TDA waaay too different in look and feel for me

2. In realities of 9 ed. swords better than falcions on GKSS because they are free, i.e. costs 0 points, as well as halberds, while pair of falcions costs 4 points.

So you will have one marine for 20 points (17 base + 3 bolter) + 0 (halberd/sword). While double falcion guy will cost you 24 points. Sword profile is S4 AP -3 Dmg. D3, halberd - S5 AP -2 Dmg. D3.

3. Right, Psychic Focus is rule from one of 8 ed big FAQs (which makes it auto-invalidated in terms of 9 ed) that restricts our (and Thousand Sons) Smites from ascending WC

Swords it is! While my GW is pretty conservative with their approach, my TO did allow me to use the watch-master as a BC, so pretty happy to use that model. That -3 AP looks juicy on the strikes. Thanks for the input. 

I'm looking for some help again brothers!

Im attempting to paint battle damage for the first time. But the damage is practically non noticeable. My armour is a dark grey, I'm painting a black spot, then painting a bright silver inside that black spot to auto black outline the "damage".

But.. Since of course its just shiny grey is top of actual grey, its barely noticeable.

I did try a rust brown, but was somehow even less noticeable than the silver.

Any suggestions?

gallery_80056_16040_467879.jpg

gallery_80056_16040_722407.jpg

gallery_80056_16040_954737.jpg

Also on a side note. How does one upload better quality images on mobile? Looking at the instructions, it should give me an option to resize/adjust quality if the image is too large. But it doesn't. So I just screenshot the image and upload that. Which isn't ideal.

I really like that interceptor. I think I asked you this before (and didn't get a response) but what color is that interceptor cabling? Assembling some myself, definitely will steal that idea, if you don't mind. Edited by Skywrath

@Captain Coolpants

Performing battle damage on grey armour is not that easy to do, I would say it is the hardest color to display chipping/battle damage

Because in a matter of color theory spots with damaged armour should pop up to be points of interest for a viewer, but not too much

In a case with grey-ish armour I would recommend to go in rusty battle dammage/paint chipping approach:

Take some redish-brown paint, apply it with tiny sponge on a model on some random places, and then make some brighter color accent on it, using rust pigments from AK Interactive, or something alike

You should end with nice worn-out set of armour.

Before starting that you can check on toutube some vids from guys that assembles and paints tanks, airplains and all that stuff. They are using techniques like this pretty all the way. But in our scale it should be applied in more gentle way

And for sure, first make some test on backpack leftovers, or something like that

@skywrath I'm sorry I thought I did before? I don't know if the colour name is the same. But its sotek green. And I just mix a ivory colour in to highlight twice.

@telepatrick and thats why I gave up lol. The only way I could make it noticeable, was to add rusty bits in. And I just really don't want rusty Marines. Unless a marine is constantly at a war zone for 8 years, it makes no sense for them to have any rust, due to all the armour maintenance and sacred oil rubbing and other weird borderline fetish rituals haha.

Nevermind guys. I've given up lmao.

Don't give up just yet:no: Rethink battle damage, not in terms of regular Space Marines, but Grey Knights. Grey Knights are daemon fighters. That means close combat and melee with acid spitting, big teeth biting beasties with claws and talons that treat space marine armor like paper. Think in terms of acid splash, tears, and rents:pinch:

Nevermind guys. I've given up lmao.

Don't give up just yet:no: Rethink battle damage, not in terms of regular Space Marines, but Grey Knights. Grey Knights are daemon fighters. That means close combat and melee with acid spitting, big teeth biting beasties with claws and talons that treat space marine armor like paper. Think in terms of acid splash, tears, and rents:pinch:

That. An idea springs to mind - instead of going for battle-damage, why not use Blood for the Blood god technical paint, and have some bloody effects on their boots? Or controversially, on their power armor, to symbolise a battle?

That. An idea springs to mind - instead of going for battle-damage, why not use Blood for the Blood god technical paint, and have some bloody effects on their boots? Or controversially, on their power armor, to symbolise a battle?

......and that works too:thumbsup: