Ultramarines bike captain

Rottimus

Please forgive me if this seems ultra competitive but I'm trying to see if I can build my own special character and model him accordingly. I just need some help with the rules.

Disclaimer - my gaming group does lots of 'counts as' as we're all pretty avid converters. If it looks cool, is painted and based and the weapons and stuff make sense its all good. Here goes:

Captain on bike

Vengeance of Ultramar stormbolter

Paragon of war warlord trait

Chainsword

Rules-wise, he's on a bike, so bolter discipline applies. Does that mean he fires 8 shots with the vengeance, 4 shots with his twin bolter (on the bike) for a a total of 12 bolter shots that cause mortal wounds on a 6 to wound? That seems very powerful and versatile. At that rate you'll cause a fair amount of mortal wounds.

The idea was to model him as a gravis captain with a jumppack, a multibarrel type gun on one arm and a chainsword in the other.

It certainly does.

I've coined the term "Vengeance Captain" (actually I think I stole it from someone here, possibly Black Blow Fly).

The build is really solid. 12 shots, reroll to wound 8 of them, any 6s resulting in additional Mortal Wounds and close combat weapon to match (me a power fist) is a really powerful Captain that is more useful than a "Smash Captain".

If your group is happy with that count as then go for it brother.

Only advice I'd give is a power weapon of any stripe will be better on this dude rather than a Chainsword, competitively speaking.

But again, the shooting element is best for him. It's just nice to be able to carve through stuff too. ;)

Tactical use to upset people... move forward, shoot, charge, survive until your turn then spend a CP to fall back, shoot and then charge again!

I've used the Vengeance Captain pretty much exclusively since finding out about the combo. I prefer a storm shield over a power weapon though. He's a beast and most people underestimate how many mortal wounds he actually dishes out. Plus the normal wounds add up too.