My Interest is Piqued, BUT...

Julgolax

I don't think GW really cares much about the Necron range anymore. I hear mixed reviews about the rules too, some units are incredible others are garbage.

Necron Warriors are still sold in boxes of 12, but are built in squads of 10-20.

Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers make no sense compared to Tomb Blades, which are supposedly better and/or cheaper in points, PLUS cheaper in dollars too. (3 Destroyers for $50.00 vs 3 Tomb Blades for $41.25 O.o ...)

Immortals are $10 more expensive in lots of 10 than NEW Primaris Marines O.o

Almost all the HQ choices are still in Resin

Though I have no experience with Necrons in the game itself, all I hear is negativity when I've asked elsewhere about Lychguard & Triarchs (less of an issue but kind of concerning)

Flayed Ones, why do I see negativity about them too?

On the positive side, the models have aged really well in my opinion, and even the modified lore & models of units such as Wraiths, Spyders, Crypteks and Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians (I.E. Pariahs ;-) ) I was one of the folks who didn't like the 'great weakening' of the Necrons in the lore, at first. Going from ghastly mechanical specters capable of rendering power armor to ash and punching holes through both hulls of a Land Raider, making entire colonies disappear in hours... to automatons with alzheimers lead by petty and deranged rulers. HOWEVER, reading more into it now, I've grown to love the struggle to reactivate their super-ancient empire and conquer the galaxy once again, and the Silent King & Szeras trying to find a veritable symbiosis between inorganic technology and organic biology.

What makes me want to play Necrons is the narrative of being one of these super-ancient Overlords who is simultaneously charged with enormous responsibility and given enormous freedom in his cybernetic undeath.

That said, I find the same kind of joy with my Ogor Mawtribes and recently picking up some Chaos Space Marines via the Battleforce from Christmas 2019. Tell me, give me some feedback, what do you think about the negative points I wrote above? Am I not seeing something? Do you think GW will address some of these things soon, or maybe in 9th edition?

I don't think GW really cares much about the Necron range anymore.

Uhhh

There are lots of rumours swirling around Necrons getting a significant update in the very near future, possibly even being one of the two main factions for 8.5/9th in a new starter box. I would recommend waiting to see what happens on May 23rd before leaping to conclusions.

I don't think GW really cares much about the Necron range anymore.

Uhhh

There are lots of rumours swirling around Necrons getting a significant update in the very near future, possibly even being one of the two main factions for 8.5/9th in a new starter box. I would recommend waiting to see what happens on May 23rd before leaping to conclusions.

That would be most rewarding of a wait to be sure! One can hope!

Also, what I meant was that they, like a majority of xenos factions, haven't had a significant update to their range in several years, particularly to their infantry. While Craftworlds and Orks deserve an update or sure, I think GW recutting the Necron Warriors to make for 10 to a sprue isn't too much to ask. Maybe lower the price of the Immortals + box them in 10's too so they do not suffer from the same thing Sylvaneth Tree + Spite Revenants do.

There are quirks when it comes to playing one of the older lines of models for sure, but as it's been pointed out there seems to be the potential for a major Necron release coming up with the return of the Silent King announcement. At the minimum there will be new rules in the form of the same Psychic Awakening treatment other armies have received (traits, strats, faction rules, new rules for Szeras at least).

As for model costs there isn't much conversation to be had there, things cost what they cost from GW and you get what you get. Personally I buy almost all my models 2nd hand or on sale through 3rd party retailers (boxing day ftw usually).

When it comes to negativity toward combat units I find that isn't specific to Necrons at all. 8th is commonly referred to as a "shooting edition" of the game since most models were made for previous editions and new LoS and terrain rules mean everyone's table setups needed tweaking for anyone to make it to combat. Since the Necrons are predominantly an infantry army the combat units lack effective means to get to combat at the moment. Personally I use sword and shield Lychguard and Flayed Ones in a combat bomb thrown across the table with an Overlord via the Veil of Darkness and Haunting Horrors. It's fun and my opponents have to deal with it or (often) get hobbled by it but I'm no tournament goer.

Despite the problem a few lemon units, something that every Codex suffers from, there are lots of fun combinations to try out and you can make very different style armies (massed infantry, teleporting fast infantry, all things with FLY, etc). You only see a limited set of 'usable' items in most people's lists at tournaments because that's a whole different way of playing the game. Here we see Doom Scythes and Doomsday Arks as the only viable anti-armour because gauss weapons of all kinds, also Scarabs, could wreck any vehicle in the game. This was unique to gauss weaponry at the time and when the game ported over to 8th every weapon could cause damage to every unit with the new T/W values of vehicles. In consolation gauss was given an AP bonus leaving the army with very few units specifically dedicated to anti-armour because that wasn't a thing for them as the models/army was designed originally.

Is it great? Nope. Is it totally workable and fun? Absolutely. Are there new things on the way? Sure seems like it, given the focus on elaborating on factions that GW has shown over the last few years. We even have a relative wealth of new lore being released from Black Library with Severed, War in the Museum, and The Infinite and The Divine. Trazyn keeps showing up in other lore (the Gathering Storm, Fall of Cadia, and Clonelord) and two of those books involve him. 

To sum it up, sure the models are old but all the signs are pointing to more support coming. There are new rules, at least one more (really cool looking) new model, and new lore set for release this year alone.

I would say that worse than Necrons not having very good rules right now is that they don't have a ton of very fun rules.  I don't mind losing games, but for now the army just doesn't have great synergy.  Psychic Awakening is not likely to address these issues, but it could (and if we got a new codex it could fix everything).  For example, Triarch units essentially can't interact with HQs or transports.  In an edition where rerolls are very important (and ubiquitous for most armies) we barely have any options to get them (and most are very costly, either in points or opportunity).  Our transports are just stupid right now, with Ghost Arks only being able to carry a minimum sized squad of Warriors and with Night Scythes and Monoliths being extremely risky compared to how other faction's transports work.  Many of our units are silly expensive for what they do, presumably because of Reanimation Protocols which rarely come into play and have never in 8th edition had a significant impact on a game for me.  And then we have an unfortunate amount of finecast models.

We have a handful of units that are "competitive," but that's more relative to other Necrons than objectively strong.  Gauss has historically been effective anti-armor, but it isn't anymore, leaving us somewhat in the lurch there.  That's why Doomsday Arks are in just about every Necron list - they're about our only efficient anti-armor but they're swingy as hell.  My trio of DDAs has downed an untouched Knight and a Repressor in the same turn, but they've also failed together to take out a single Rhino on more than one occasion, including once failing to scratch one at all.  

If you like the models or the fluff, go for it.  If you want something competitive, wait to see the new rules.  If you just want to be a robot grandpa yelling at kids for playing on his lawn, you're definitely in the right place.

As for model costs there isn't much conversation to be had there, things cost what they cost from GW and you get what you get. Personally I buy almost all my models 2nd hand or on sale through 3rd party retailers (boxing day ftw usually).

- There isn't much conversation no, but I would hope there would be some people who can make enough noise on their FB and Twitter about it to get it changed to such. I have no problem paying for my luxury toys, but the value is off kilter.

When it comes to negativity toward combat units I find that isn't specific to Necrons at all. 8th is commonly referred to as a "shooting edition" of the game since most models were made for previous editions and new LoS and terrain rules mean everyone's table setups needed tweaking for anyone to make it to combat. Since the Necrons are predominantly an infantry army the combat units lack effective means to get to combat at the moment. Personally I use sword and shield Lychguard and Flayed Ones in a combat bomb thrown across the table with an Overlord via the Veil of Darkness and Haunting Horrors. It's fun and my opponents have to deal with it or (often) get hobbled by it but I'm no tournament goer.

- I was interested in those specific things I've heard negativity towards about Necron units. I acknowledge that label of 8th edition wholeheartedly, even without personal experience. Do you think they'll get some more vehicles in this or next edition? Maybe something that can actually carry Immortals & Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians? I was also thinking perhaps some kind of moving shield-bubble Canoptek, or a phase-dispersal beacon / net that can make it harder to harm the infantry. I do like the theme of the army that each vehicle is an anti-grav Trireme or Chariot. :biggrin.:

Despite the problem a few lemon units, something that every Codex suffers from, there are lots of fun combinations to try out and you can make very different style armies (massed infantry, teleporting fast infantry, all things with FLY, etc). You only see a limited set of 'usable' items in most people's lists at tournaments because that's a whole different way of playing the game. Here we see Doom Scythes and Doomsday Arks as the only viable anti-armour because gauss weapons of all kinds, also Scarabs, could wreck any vehicle in the game. This was unique to gauss weaponry at the time and when the game ported over to 8th every weapon could cause damage to every unit with the new T/W values of vehicles. In consolation gauss was given an AP bonus leaving the army with very few units specifically dedicated to anti-armour because that wasn't a thing for them as the models/army was designed originally.

- I have no experience in tournament play nor do I really possess that kind of competitive spirit. (I find it easy becomes toxic and resentful) I do like victory but I'm not going to cry over a loss. I just wonder if there's a compilation of "why x, y and z units are 'bad' and why a, b and c units are 'good' in matched play games." I understand now though what you're saying about the uniqueness of Necrons changing from 7th to 8th edition gameplay. It seems that GW needs to work on specific changes to make units feel like they're supposed to again. I do remember hearing frequently that a tank's worst nightmare was a block of 9 scarab bases, not the Heavy Destroyer's Gauss Cannon. :tongue.:

Is it great? Nope. Is it totally workable and fun? Absolutely. Are there new things on the way? Sure seems like it, given the focus on elaborating on factions that GW has shown over the last few years. We even have a relative wealth of new lore being released from Black Library with Severed, War in the Museum, and The Infinite and The Divine. Trazyn keeps showing up in other lore (the Gathering Storm, Fall of Cadia, and Clonelord) and two of those books involve him. To sum it up, sure the models are old but all the signs are pointing to more support coming. There are new rules, at least one more (really cool looking) new model, and new lore set for release this year alone.

- I know I come off as a bit petulant but I am a fan of the hobby, lore, and narrative side of 40K so when I see kits neglected or packed in a way that doesn't benefit the customer, it sticks in my craw something fierce, especially when all things Power Armor get treated with such reverence as to err on the side of perfection. :tongue.: Thank you for summing that up for me though. I wonder if the other resin characters will get new plastic updates? And I am REALLY hoping & feeling like a new Silent King character figure is coming! The Necron's veritable Abaddon / Guilliman / Ghazghkull :biggrin.:

Edited by Julgolax

Not saying that Khorne Beserkers dont need an update, but at least they are made of plastic. Unfortunately many necron models are made of brittle resin, and all their cool details often snap off with no way of fixing the issue.

Hopefully the rumors are true. If necrons really are the focus of a new set, I'd imagine they'd get a big update similar to Death Guard.

Not saying that Khorne Beserkers dont need an update, but at least they are made of plastic. Unfortunately many necron models are made of brittle resin, and all their cool details often snap off with no way of fixing the issue.

Hopefully the rumors are true. If necrons really are the focus of a new set, I'd imagine they'd get a big update similar to Death Guard.

Point is that the sculpts are fine. I feel like a material update and a couple updated character sculpts would be all Necrons need.

The Necron model range is actually in pretty good shape as a whole compared to other factions. Most of it is in plastic and much of the plastic is pretty good. Not amazing like new models, but decent enough that other factions should probably be in line before us for a big update. (Warriors, Destroyers, and Monoliths being the oldest plastic that needs love).

Beyond that we have flayed ones which are a resin Trainwreck and need updated. The big problem here is flayed ones are very distinct and don't have multiple weapon options (most of the newer Cron kits are dual build or multi option kits (Immortals / Death Marks ECT). Our characters are also in a lot of pain. We only have a single build Overlord and a single build Crypteks in plastic. Everything else and all the various weapon options are only in resin which is pretty bad compared to a lot of factions.

The true downside to necrons (at this moment) is that they made a really poor transition to 8th Ed. Our codex is basically just a fleshed out index army. We have no real synergy mechanics and the few we do have are very basic in nature. Our reanimation protocol as it currently exists is way overcosted and almost entirely useless. Our army used to excel at durability and attrition warfare. It was ok we didn't kick out crazy damage because around turn 3 or 4 we were still going strong while our opponents were losing steam. Our army is no longer durable and our damage output is still lackluster and short ranged so we really hurt compared to how we used to play. GW also hobbled us when they changed gauss from what was basically 'mortal wounds on a 6' vs vehicles to -1 ap and inflating the number of wounds and armor vehicles had.

GW didn't have a clear vision of our army or how to integrate them into 8th Ed. With the new update on the horizon there is fresh hope for a major fix and shift in direction. PA will likely flesh out some underutilized sub factions like Triarch units but the hope is that 9th (or 8.5) will see us with a reworked 2.0 dex. Crons need a systematic overhaul of their core mechanics to be fun and functional again. The current teasers with Sezras and the Silent King are good early indicators of some love on our character line, but we need to see some core rules for units before we know if things are getting better.

My advice is wait and see. When Pariah drops we should have a better feel for if GW has a vision for Necrons or if we stay in the doghouse with some shiny new character models.

Point is that the sculpts are fine. I feel like a material update and a couple updated character sculpts would be all Necrons need.

Nah. If they just took the existing resin kits and made them plastic, they would still be a disaster. The Flayed Ones are hideous and derpy, and the Heavy Destroyer upgrade kit (as well as the Destroyer Lord upgrade kit) doesn't match the Necron aesthetic anymore.

The Necron model range is actually in pretty good shape as a whole compared to other factions. Most of it is in plastic and much of the plastic is pretty good. Not amazing like new models, but decent enough that other factions should probably be in line before us for a big update. (Warriors, Destroyers, and Monoliths being the oldest plastic that needs love).

Beyond that we have flayed ones which are a resin Trainwreck and need updated. The big problem here is flayed ones are very distinct and don't have multiple weapon options (most of the newer Cron kits are dual build or multi option kits (Immortals / Death Marks ECT). Our characters are also in a lot of pain. We only have a single build Overlord and a single build Crypteks in plastic. Everything else and all the various weapon options are only in resin which is pretty bad compared to a lot of factions.

The true downside to necrons (at this moment) is that they made a really poor transition to 8th Ed. Our codex is basically just a fleshed out index army. We have no real synergy mechanics and the few we do have are very basic in nature. Our reanimation protocol as it currently exists is way overcosted and almost entirely useless. Our army used to excel at durability and attrition warfare. It was ok we didn't kick out crazy damage because around turn 3 or 4 we were still going strong while our opponents were losing steam. Our army is no longer durable and our damage output is still lackluster and short ranged so we really hurt compared to how we used to play. GW also hobbled us when they changed gauss from what was basically 'mortal wounds on a 6' vs vehicles to -1 ap and inflating the number of wounds and armor vehicles had.

GW didn't have a clear vision of our army or how to integrate them into 8th Ed. With the new update on the horizon there is fresh hope for a major fix and shift in direction. PA will likely flesh out some underutilized sub factions like Triarch units but the hope is that 9th (or 8.5) will see us with a reworked 2.0 dex. Crons need a systematic overhaul of their core mechanics to be fun and functional again. The current teasers with Sezras and the Silent King are good early indicators of some love on our character line, but we need to see some core rules for units before we know if things are getting better.

My advice is wait and see. When Pariah drops we should have a better feel for if GW has a vision for Necrons or if we stay in the doghouse with some shiny new character models.

Really hit the nail on the head. Relatively minor tweaks to rules would fix all of my gameplay issues. The models will take more work since most of our character options only exist in finecast or don't exist at all. Edited by NTaW
Merged posts.

Can you explain finecast a little to me? Is this Resin or metal?

Resin. Notoriously bad resin. I've never had a really bad experience with it, myself, but I've only ever bought one Finecast model brand new, so you're better off looking at the horror stories elsewhere on the Internet.

Can you explain finecast a little to me? Is this Resin or metal?

Finecast (or failcast in hobby speak) is a resin GW has used to replace the pewter metal many old models were cast from. Finecast uses the same moulds as the pewter but is a cheaper material (and GW claims is better). This is why you can find pewter or finecast versions of the same model. The pewter is older.

Finecast is a bit of a crapshoot. Some has a lot of bubbles. Some is coated in mould release agents which makes paint and glue not work unless you really really clean the model first. It also tends to deform in high heat...like a hot day can bend gun barrels and claws.

Edited by Bonzi

- There isn't much conversation no, but I would hope there would be some people who can make enough noise on their FB and Twitter about it to get it changed to such. I have no problem paying for my luxury toys, but the value is off kilter.

- I was interested in those specific things I've heard negativity towards about Necron units. I acknowledge that label of 8th edition wholeheartedly, even without personal experience. Do you think they'll get some more vehicles in this or next edition? Maybe something that can actually carry Immortals & Lychguard / Triarch Praetorians? I was also thinking perhaps some kind of moving shield-bubble Canoptek, or a phase-dispersal beacon / net that can make it harder to harm the infantry. I do like the theme of the army that each vehicle is an anti-grav Trireme or Chariot. :biggrin.:

- I have no experience in tournament play nor do I really possess that kind of competitive spirit. (I find it easy becomes toxic and resentful) I do like victory but I'm not going to cry over a loss. I just wonder if there's a compilation of "why x, y and z units are 'bad' and why a, b and c units are 'good' in matched play games." I understand now though what you're saying about the uniqueness of Necrons changing from 7th to 8th edition gameplay. It seems that GW needs to work on specific changes to make units feel like they're supposed to again. I do remember hearing frequently that a tank's worst nightmare was a block of 9 scarab bases, not the Heavy Destroyer's Gauss Cannon. :tongue.:

- I know I come off as a bit petulant but I am a fan of the hobby, lore, and narrative side of 40K so when I see kits neglected or packed in a way that doesn't benefit the customer, it sticks in my craw something fierce, especially when all things Power Armor get treated with such reverence as to err on the side of perfection. :tongue.: Thank you for summing that up for me though. I wonder if the other resin characters will get new plastic updates? And I am REALLY hoping & feeling like a new Silent King character figure is coming! The Necron's veritable Abaddon / Guilliman / Ghazghkull :biggrin.:

I'll respond in kind.

- I agree the value is off kilter, definitely the result of old kits being ported through several overall price hikes amidst a general improvement in production quality. I fully expect any new kits to be more in line financially with what is openly available; read this as I fully expect new kits to be sweet but expensive :lol:

- Slapping the Nephrekh "max advance" faction rule on was their way of offering faster movement on our troops that don't have FLY. I do hope to see either a new transport or tweaked rules involving ours (Night Scythe, Monolith, Ghost Ark) but as we well know hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. Personally I find using the Veil of Darkness to be fine in my games for relocating Lychguard and when I do I bring in my Flayed Ones with them in a group. I don't always make charges but there's a lot of threat potential and the dispersion shield amplification stratagem for if the Lychguard come under fire. Really though, this is only against some opponents. A lot of armies I play against have a similar threat range to Necrons or want to close in for the charge so I'm not really working to hard for uses on my tables. Praetorians at least have FLY so aren't the worst to get where you need them to be just (almost) impossible to buff as Tyriks pointed out. One thing I do sort of expect if the Silent King returns (specially in model form) is rules for the Triarch as a faction as if they were a Dynasty, or Dynasty rules for those loyal to the Triarch. Think of it sort of like being a Codex-compliant Marine Chapter.

- I appreciate that sentiment, I do play to win despite trying to play to a narrative most the time. No fun bringing a spoon to a knife fight, right? :lol: While there may not be a comprehensive list we do have a Unit of the Week series here in the Necron subforum that has a good wealth of knowledge shared on our Codex and Forgeworld units. It may not have all the answers you're looking for but you may fins something useful perusing. As for previous editions....well, I didn't really play vehicles or Destroyers at all until 8th if that says anything.

- Not at all, and no worries. As Necron collectors I think GW just assumes we're content with waiting, the least we can do is have a chat about the state of things to pass the time. I'll be joining you in supporting the Triarch with my purchase as well if/when the release comes! :tu:

I know it's folly to hope for something better, especially when it comes to GW and their non-power armored factions, but hope keeps me going day to day. It would be great to have my hope rewarded once in a while.

Basically I think the point of this thread has been made. Necrons are mid / lower-mid tier. They're fun if you make it fun. They're as easy or as complex to paint as you want them to be. They need updates to Warriors, Destroyers, H. Destroyers and Character models but are unlikely to get them any time soon, especially the Warriors & Destroyers. However it seems there's potential for a big update which is worth waiting for. Thanks folks! I'll just have to wait to make my decision, much longer than this month, but waiting is waiting. I do dislike GW now using "SOMETHING BIG" as an excuse for single models or just a few things that are actually large in size, not in scope...

Which brings me to respond here...

This kind of statement is why Marines get updated and Xenos do not. :( Also, those poor Militarum infantry...

I know it's folly to hope for something better, especially when it comes to GW and their non-power armored factions, but hope keeps me going day to day. It would be great to have my hope rewarded once in a while.

Basically I think the point of this thread has been made. Necrons are mid / lower-mid tier. They're fun if you make it fun. They're as easy or as complex to paint as you want them to be. They need updates to Warriors, Destroyers, H. Destroyers and Character models but are unlikely to get them any time soon, especially the Warriors & Destroyers. However it seems there's potential for a big update which is worth waiting for. Thanks folks! I'll just have to wait to make my decision, much longer than this month, but waiting is waiting. I do dislike GW now using "SOMETHING BIG" as an excuse for single models or just a few things that are actually large in size, not in scope...

This kind of statement is why Marines get updated and Xenos do not. :sad.: Also, those poor Militarum infantry...

Nah, the reason Xenos don't get updates is because they're not as profitable as Marines. That is the reason.

Militarum infantry definitely need updates, no question. My point was that the basic designs of a lot of the outdated Necron sculpts are perfectly fine - I'm not saying some of them (Flayed Ones, named C'tan Shards) don't need updates. I'm saying most of them, even some of the older kits (Warriors, Destroyers) look fine.

This kind of statement is why Marines get updated and Xenos do not. :( Also, those poor Militarum infantry...

No, it really isn't. Marines get updated because they are the GW flagship line and the face of the game. They are the entry level army that almost everyone has or starts with. Changes or additions to this model line ripple out into huge sales boosts.

Chaos players have screamed into the void since their 3.5 dex, complaining about imbalance vs standard Marines, poor rules, outdated models ECT. For most of a decade GW ignored them. Even now with massive updates and support many Chaos players still cry.

Being toxic, crying, complaints, constructive feedback, community petitions relevant to obvious rules holes or exploits...GW pretty much ignores it and does what it wants. Recent years things have gotten more responsive rules wise as long as you're talking the tournament scene, but for the rest GW does what it has always done regardless of player input.

If you want my decades worth of GW advice? If you want continued rules and new models, pick Space Marines or a brand new faction like GSC or better yet, Ad Mech. Stay away from old Xenos, mostly complete model ranges like Astra Militarum or small one off release factions like Harlequins or Deathwatch because we may get shined on briefly, but the attention always strays back to the Space Marines.

As much as the Necrons' range is old... does it need an update, really? The sculpts are old, but they're timeless in a way that, say, Khorne Berzerkers are not. Kind of fitting if you ask me.

Berserker's desperately need an update (Same with Noise Marines), but with the new CSM kits they're pretty easy to kitbash and it's safe to say those are in the pipeline as we are two Godsworn Legions in now.

They need not erase the Necron silhouette and basic design principle (Look at the 'new' Immortals along with the Lych Guard and new Canopteks their design principles are different to previous incarnations but recognisably Necron), but there comes a time where a model does need a little refresh in order to have it truly slot in with it's range. Green plastic rods, not being sold in a rounded number, swarm base extras and the squatty nature of warriors and destroyers make them stand out next to the rest of their range, in a similar way to how a lot of really old models do next to their updated kin, if we still had the old Immortal models I would agree that it was fine as is, but as they are a basic troop choice I feel that they deserve being updated to properly fit in with the army that they are a core part of. Also the sheer amount of finecast characters are not ideal, I'd gladly just have those current sculpts in metal over the resin.

23rd may well add to the exciting time 2019 & 2020 is looking to be for the hobby, not just for Necron players, but all Xenos players (and Chaos & Sisters), with Thraka's return and all the other updates to the less supported factions. If Necrons are featured in the new box set I will be very happy, they're a huge part of the lore and deserve to be elevated a little in the game system, as only focusing on Imperium (Yes I know Marines are the poster boys - They have almost 2 complete ranges now, along with multiple sub-factions - everyone else can get a little now I hope) will lead to nobody wanting to pick up the other factions down to their ranges just not being up to snuff compared to the new beautiful sculpts 'The poster boys' now have.

Edited by TootiusNootius

I'm saying most of them, even some of the older kits (Warriors, Destroyers) look fine.

Looks are subjective.  Far more important, the molds are not well designed and the sprues make it clear they need replaced.  It's been years since I bought a Warrior kit that didn't have crazy mold lines and tons of flash, warped limbs and mold slippage.  The base of the spine especially seems to always be way out of alignment.  But even if they replaced the mold with an identical copy, you'd still have to hand carve new cheek bones for every Warrior you build because of those absurd sprue gates. 

I have somewhere in the ballpark of 100 Warriors and I wouldn't mind buying 100 more just to dance on the grave of that damn mold.

you'd still have to hand carve new cheek bones for every Warrior you build because of those absurd sprue gates. 

I have somewhere in the ballpark of 100 Warriors and I wouldn't mind buying 100 more just to dance on the grave of that damn mold.

++Shudders++ 

Those cheeks.... I don't know who laid out that sprue, but I would love to know why they thought that was a good place to connect the sprue to.

Same boat here, I would keep my old boys but nice new sculpts would be a godsend and would replace my old lads outside of Apocalypse in a heartbeat. 

Edited by TootiusNootius

I honestly don't really dislike the Warriors, I just wish they'd make a cleaner, more updated sculpt of them, maybe just a bit more hunched over with better aiming, advancing, hip-firing and melee pose capabilities of the components.

The two things I think NEED changing are the Destroyer sculpts to fall more in line with the vehicles and sculpts of today, and most of all the gauss weaponry of the Necrons.

The Destroyers have a very classic profile to them but the janky "big arm x little arm" look has frankly always bothered me. Now that we have things like the Tomb Blades, I think GW has an opportunity to make Destroyers & Heavy Destroyers into more balanced and fierce designs. I pretty much adore what GW did with the transition to the new Broadside Battlesuits, making them beefier with more options and a much better design. I think Destroyers & H. Destroyers need that.

When GW created the new Immortal kits with the incredible looking "rods" that fit into the guns, they really opened up a great new look for the Necrons. While I'm sure many like the old aesthetic of the "green rod" which could be supplemented with different colors (a missed opportunity by GW!), I think the look of the new solid hieroglyphic energy rods is SPOT ON! :D 

01-01.jpg

I honestly don't really dislike the Warriors, I just wish they'd make a cleaner, more updated sculpt of them, maybe just a bit more hunched over with better aiming, advancing, hip-firing and melee pose capabilities of the components.

The two things I think NEED changing are the Destroyer sculpts to fall more in line with the vehicles and sculpts of today, and most of all the gauss weaponry of the Necrons.

The Destroyers have a very classic profile to them but the janky "big arm x little arm" look has frankly always bothered me. Now that we have things like the Tomb Blades, I think GW has an opportunity to make Destroyers & Heavy Destroyers into more balanced and fierce designs. I pretty much adore what GW did with the transition to the new Broadside Battlesuits, making them beefier with more options and a much better design. I think Destroyers & H. Destroyers need that.

When GW created the new Immortal kits with the incredible looking "rods" that fit into the guns, they really opened up a great new look for the Necrons. While I'm sure many like the old aesthetic of the "green rod" which could be supplemented with different colors (a missed opportunity by GW!), I think the look of the new solid hieroglyphic energy rods is SPOT ON! :biggrin.:

When you've built & painted over 100 warriors you'll begin to hate that kit. Very silly layout. But there is a lot of flexability in the posing as is, although melee is hard to convey. In my head I always see that one bit in the DoW Dark Crusade intro where a warrior, almost lazily, one hand swings the flayer like an axe over his head: https://youtu.be/nodA5bxueyo?t=23 I want to be able to model that.

Destroyer sculpt does need an update more, but green plastic rods are a warrior issue too, I'd rather have the glyph rods to match with the rest of the range also Heavy Destroyers & Destroyer Lords need to not be a horridly warped resin upgrade kit. A complete re-imagining would be interesting, not sure I can see them completely departing from the design's very recognisable silhouette however Immortal's didn't change too much between their green plastic rods and glyphs phase.

I repaint all my green plastic rods so that I don't have multiple different green shades, I would love to have glyphs on the flayers it would make my life so much easier. Trying to make a convincing energy effect without any detail is a pain. Plenty of other websites have been selling various colours of plastic rod for years. Glyphs would look so much nicer.

Edited by TootiusNootius

With regard to rods, there's examples of everything but the Monolith already resculpted. The Ghost/Doomsday Ark has sculpted gauss flayers, Annihilation/Catacomb Command Barge a sculpted gauss cannon, and the Triarch Stalker has plastic sculpted heavy gauss cannons.

GW wouldn't have to rework any of these weapons, they've existed in plastic for years already. Replacement rods can at least be found on the internet that match the new aesthetic, I think even in Monolith sizes, but it would be great to see them released officially.