Possible new space elf /clown player

happyslugger

Hi folks, I hope you are all well and keeping safe and busy during the current situation.

It is fast approaching my birthday and being male and aged 38 there isn't a fat lot I need in life that I cannot go and buy myself.  So for Xmas last year my family had a whip round and gave me some cash with which I purchased a custodes army (now fully painted I may add).  This got me thinking they could do the same again for my birthday (as they always want to know what to get me) and I could then feed my plastic addiction without feeling like I am burning my own funds lol.

I currently have and play (casually only) Blood angels (primaris mainly), chaos knights, death guard (ugh uphill struggle with these currently) and my custodes.  Mainly play my son and a few friends at mine and typically up against various colours of Space Marines, Ultras, Imperial knights and the oh so lovely Tau (should be called drone army with some big guns).  

Not one of us has a space elf army....so this got me thinking....birthday money....harlequin army???

I am not the best painter (decent table top I would say) and I am slow...so I am super worried about the diamonds (they look awesome but probably not so great when I get to it) and I do not have a place where I can use air paints, so brush only :-(

Are Harlequins decent as a standalone as I prefer to play mono - or should I go with a normal Eldar army?  I like the Wraithknight model (I know its not great at the moment) and understand this cannot be taken in Harlequins army...

Any advice would be welcome.

Welcome to the circus mate! You don’t have to paint diamonds not all the masques have them. I’m doing Dreaming Shadow and not many diamonds in sight but they’re your clowns so you do what’s best for you. 

As for the standalone question I’ve no idea as I’m new to them myself but I’m going to running them as their own army once mine are all up and running. 

I suppose it all depends on how many points you want to go mate. I’m hopefully going to 2000pts myself and I have quite a bit of stuff to assemble and paint. You probably want a couple of Death Jesters (DJ for short for future reference) a Solitaire and a Shadowseer for starters. Couple of Starweavers and around 8 Skyweavers I believe. Then a few Troupes. 

I am in a very similar boat, and have just started with today’s delivery of a troupe, a shadowseer and a starweaver.

Again, not a clue how to make the most of them but they are beautiful models and with my brushes I will make the best bodge I can to get them looking savagely sweet.

Good luck!

The main issue with the Harlequin range currently is how small it is: it currently has only five kits (it would be six but the Death Jester seems to have disappeared from the UK and RoW GW pages). It's not an issue when you're collecting a small detachment but you might find yourself getting bored with the same kits over and over. That said, you already have a Custodes army so perhaps you'll be fine. :)

With regards to painting, you don't have to paint diamonds or stripes. Alternating colours on various bits of clothing can have a similar overall effect but requires less patience and practice. Some examples of this are the Masque of the Silent Shroud (minimal amount of diamond pattern which you can omit), Dreaming Shadow, Frozen Stars, Reaper's Mirth, and Veiled Path. That said, you can always take the colour scheme of a Masque that seems to use lots of diamond patterns and/or stripes that you like and simply paint your models in a less complex scheme. :tu:

Last but not least, mono-Harlequins is rather rare but doable. As mentioned at the beginning of my post, you'll be using the same few units multiple times but if that doesn't bother you, go for it. That said, you can always ally your Harlequins with Craftworld Aeldari and/or Drukhari. Many players do this and there are some interesting synergies to explore.

Anyway, I hope that helps you somewhat. Be sure to share your subsequent thoughts, questions, and/or progress with us. :D

Thanks folks.

I am just going to read up on them and some of the lore. Having similar and limited models doesn't bother me. I've been around since 1997/1998 and knowing GW if there is money to be made you can be sure they will add more units later down the line.

They sound fun and we don't play seriously so will keep you all posted. It's Harlequins or something easy to paint like necrons lol sliver spray can anyone?

Thanks again.

This happens on the GW website every now and again; items don't get filtered properly; if you do a search, the DJ is still available, at least on the Canadian site, from which it has also disappeared if you just click on Harlequins in the menu. I think Seekers of Slaanesh is another kit that currently behaves the same way.

There is a new Harlequin model coming, but you might have to take it as part of a unit with Ephrael Stern. The new WD rules also seem to give each character type the equivalent of a table of Aspect powers. I haven't started collecting harlequins yet- I have a lot of other stuff on the list that's higher priority. But I'd love to have a small force of these guys.

Well after reading around last night and watching a couple of batreps I made the plunge and spent some money :-)

I ordered:

• a box of troupes
  • a starweaver
  • a box of skyweavers
  • a death jester

Figured it gives me something to build over the coming months :-)

Now to find a simple paint scheme and learn a bit more about the masques (although I will probably choose my own colour scheme and play different masques as and when I like then).

Glad you took the plunge! I'm no Harlequin expert but from a purely modelling perspective, the kits are great and offer quite a bit of customisation. This thread has given me the push I needed to work on my own Harlequins this morning. :D

Creating your own Masque, as you mentioned, is a good idea as it'll allow you to test which Masque rules fit your playstyle. :tu:

Nice one Slugger and Dos! Can’t wait to see what both of you come up with. This sub forum needs more life and the more the merrier I say. 

Edited by Axineton

Just use imgur mate it’s simple enough I’m sure there’s a guide around here somewhere. 

Edit: here’s how to upload on imgur. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Follow the green boxes I’ve added to the pics. Last pic has 2 steps and I’ve numbered them in red inside the green boxes. 

step 1.

GmjgXu7h.jpg

step 2.

BNbyGBjh.jpg

step 3 and 4.

Choose the size you want the pic in box one. I usually go with medium or large. Then copy the box in box 2.

0WdAwSuh.jpg

then paste in your thread. Job done. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Axineton

Welcome to the greatest show on earth! This army is so much fun to play win or lose. I actually got most of mine a little over 5 years ago (during my cancer surgery, this is the thing that helped me get thru it)that I added to my metal ones I've had for way many years. I've tried so many different schemes but finally figured mine out. Besides the beautiful models, they're one of the best or worst armies to play(depends on which side of the table you're on as well as the dice Gods).

Here's a pic of what I'm working on:

20200330-181336.jpg

Any colors, look at Axineton's great army, play them as you wish.

So I'm trying to read up on things (man there are a lot of combos with eldar) but my understanding is that we (Harlequins) can use these guys: Triumvirate Of Ynnead. Does anyone have experience of this? Obviously I can't get a look at the codex etc at the moment (don't plan on buying at present would rather get minis lol) so just looking at what needs to go on shopping list.

Ah man, looking around this army could be so much fun to paint and base (even without skills and an airbrush).

I know one of my troupe masters is going to be coloured red and black like Harlequin and then I have an awesome idea (and its mine no stealing it before my goodies arrive) to do a squad coloured green and purple like the Riddler from Batman with black question marks on their capes etc.

Also basing could be a blast with miniature dice (have loads really small ones) and some doll house cards, or old jigsaw pieces painted different colours...

Just made some death guard models and my second plague burst crawler to paint over the next week whilst I wait...

A user on reddit has just started rebasing their harlequins on playing cards, dice and poker chips and it looks really really amazing! If you use poker chips be warned there’s metal in the plastic. 

Okay so today I pulled the trigger on a large order of space clowns that should be sufficient for my army and hobby needs for the next few months (3 - 6 months building and painting I think).

I will have the following:

• 2 x shadowseer
  • 2 x deathjester
  • 1 x Solitaire
  • 5 x boxes of troupes
  • 5 x starweavers
  • 5 boxes of skyweavers 
  • 1 x Triumvirate Of Ynnead

Saved a good amount as it has come from local game store with 20% - 22% off each box and will form my birthday presents from family.

But I have just opened the first troupe box and don't know why I am surprised but only two fusion blasters...only two caress.  Looking at the kiss and embrace, I can make some more caress weapons by snipping the ends off these others....but what about fusion pistols?  Anyone made/kit bashed some fusions?

I will also try and get some pictures up over the weekend as a test to see if I can work it all out lol

•