Possible new space elf /clown player

happyslugger

Okay so I have built my first box of troupes with 3 fusion and 3 caress and 2 x sword and Sh.Pistol.  I have also built my troupe master with fusion and caress.  

At this point they have been primed but are held together with blue tack so it should hopefully make painting them easier (heads, torso & legs).

I have this afternoon built (again in sections) my first Starweaver and magnetised the weapon options.  My main question is how do others feel about putting the additional models on the back?  I appreciate the Voidweaver has a troupe manning the cannon, but what about the transport variant?  At first I was keen to put everything on it, but then I watched a few battle reports and people have left these models off, primarily so they can see which transport has which HQ/Elite in it.  I thought that would also be a useful option as I would know which had my T.M and which had my S.S, or Solitaire in it as there is space to place these models on the back.

What are/have others doing/done?

Cheers.

That is a good find!

I don't play but I'll be adding the players to my Starweavers. If you wanted to differentiate you could just use a marker/dice to identify what each is carrying.

I’m in this conundrum right now as well. I’ll probably leave them out but still paint them up just for the hell of it

I think some people use them for additional models. Thus far I've gone without as I have also seen battle reports where the characters follow around behind the starweaver..I think I would like to have my models in the back so I can make life easier for myself lol.

On another note I've decided on following a nebula theme for my Harlies. I am following the ideas from here: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-harlequins/

Just done my first layer on my starweaver and it looks cool, even the wife liked it. Plus without an airbrush it's the best I can find.

Edited by happyslugger

On the point about following the Starweavers, I guess movement trays would make that easier?

There are some really good tips on that link you posted, thanks.

I *might* use a sponge-brush for my first Starweaver, not sure but for me it’s the best way to get a consistent coverage without an airbrush. I am not 100% decided on the scheme for the vehicles either. Decisions decisions

I have just used a sponge. Tore a section off and dipped in the paint, worked excess off and dab away. Used the same method although lighter contact to weather my death guard vehicles :-)

I want to keep things as simple game wise as possible. Trays etc are not my cup of tea lol

Will work out that photo thing later and try and get some up

Flicking the paint is scary though...

Edited by happyslugger

Thanks Axineton.

Real simple to do.  Chaos black spray and then rip bits of a sponge off and dab it in the paint.  Take some of the excess paint off on a tissue and then dab away.  I did the white stars flicking the paint brush and then waited for it to dry.  I then went back over dabbing (not like my kids dancing) and it covers up some of the white which I think makes them look further away.  

So now I can do all my capes and such in the same way on my models.

I used the same method to add weathering to my death guard (below) but was less liberal with it and tried to stick to edges to show rust and chips/dirt.

kNWU5Rg.jpg

Some shots of my DG also :-) 

iWAIyWA.jpg

VoJxoHU.jpg

GgiE6mu.jpg

Edited by happyslugger

Slugger, you will be pleased to hear that I went “oooh!” Out loud when I saw your Starweaver!

I won’t lie, I am starting to feel a sliver of pressure now when I get to mine! Yours and Axineton’s both look really professional.

Thats the first time my painting has been called professional lol! Cheers well happy with that. 

I agree with Axineton, that starweaver is outstanding! Its clear that you have considered when to place the colours and not gone overboard with it. It's very realistic!

Thanks Dwango :-)

Slugger, you will be pleased to hear that I went “oooh!” Out loud when I saw your Starweaver!

I won’t lie, I am starting to feel a sliver of pressure now when I get to mine! Yours and Axineton’s both look really professional.

Thats the first time my painting has been called professional lol! Cheers well happy with that. 

That's the first time for me also.

Test for my troupe colour scheme.

pEac3yo.jpg

Based it purple then dry brushed all the colours of the Starweaver and then chose some elements to try and make it pop.  Very much work in progress but it is the best out of my 4 test models (other three have all been base coated purple again).  Paint isn't great as I have tried to keep it thin in case I wasn't happy.

Outstanding! The sponge worked great, you accomplished a fantastic design. Well done! :)

Thanks Dread.

Not sold on my troupe colour scheme but perhaps it's because I'm used to painting marines and custodes that are pretty much all the same colour.

I wanted something dark with elements of colour. I suppose keeping a plain troupe scheme won't detract eyes from the transports...just not sure

I think you've hit the nail on the head already. The troupe looks perfect. Silvers or red on the fusion gun and the caress , gold on the belt and trim, viola,, beautiful. Green or blue soul stone and good to go.

Man I need to get back on my frozen stars....

Edited by Dread

I think you could get away with using green on the bumps. I would only pick out a couple or so and maybe stick to these ones on each weaver you do.

Now I'm not sure how you would do this but adding white to them and making them shine might give the impression of a planetoid. Almost like a marbled effect. Might look pretty cool and would fit in with the scheme.

Edit, just looked on my colour wheel and I think an orange or yellow may be better. Maybe paint a bit on a scrap of paper and put it over it to see what it looks like.

Edited by Dwango