Incompetence at Work: Night Lords

I can see why you receive some Ultramarines vibes. Did you consider to do something with the gold trims? Those are very clean (very nice work) but it is similar to the modern interpretation of the UMs. I personally like your work - always good to see nightlords that do not look cartoony.

Thank you, and yes, I've been experimenting with some of the metallics I got to see how I can improve the trim further. Unfortunately thus far nothing has really stood out. I always seems to end up with an even more saturated and shining gold or bronze trim instead of a worn brass look I want to achieve. On the positive side, I did give a demo  to a new Ultramarine player at my local store a few days ago and putting my Night Lords on the table did silence some doubts I had about them being too close to Ultramarines. Granted, the person I gave a demo to did paint his in a more pale airbrushed blue, so the comparison might not hold up quite so well against those more closely resembling the official GW look.

Nice thread, lovely builds.

I really really like the OSL on the eyes and plasma pistol of your last mini.

Hev you considered varishing to make your colours a bit more vibrant, as you were debating which coulour sceme was suitable for NL?

Keep up the nice work!

And we're calling this spooky boy done. First time trying out some freehand, it's a bit wonky but I'm quite happy with the final result.

We5NftCh.jpg

Nice job! Like Apologist, I really like the stippled effect on the bone parts. It gives them such a cool textured look.

Edited by Isengrin

Nice thread, lovely builds.

I really really like the OSL on the eyes and plasma pistol of your last mini.

Hev you considered varishing to make your colours a bit more vibrant, as you were debating which coulour sceme was suitable for NL?

Keep up the nice work!

Thank you. Doesn't Varnish usually dull the colours ever so slightly?

Nice job! Like Apologist, I really like the stippled effect on the bone parts. It gives them such a cool textured look.

Yeah, it's surprisingly easy but the effect looks pretty good. Thanks!

I've found that varnishing my templars the black actually stays more vibrant.

I've used matte varnish and high gloss but even the matte gives a nice effect.

Maybe give it try on a not so visible spot on a mini?

If its not to your liking just add battledamage/grime/whatever and its gone.

Edited by Brother Carpenter

• 7 months later...

After a while in the warp, I have returned! My FLGS held a painting competition with a free Primaris Intercessor. Obviously I decided to convert him and put him in Midnight Clad. Had quite a bit of fun doing this, so I might have to go ahead and do some more conversion work before I paint up my regular CSM guys. With some luck it won't take nearly a year for me to get painting these guys again :whistling:.

6PHYWIil.jpg

JwH5gL6l.jpg

RUc6lWXl.jpg

wSG8o4dl.jpg

G3VVYtAl.jpg

HwOAH0ql.jpg

CH8EuSJl.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hello Bolter&Chainsword, it's been a while. I've been setting up a Escalation Crusade campaign thing so I decided (quite foolishly perhaps) to bring the Night Lords. And so it's time to get back to the midnight blues. Been going complete overkill on this basic bolter marine, but I'm using him as a test model for my Chaos Lord. Been altering the blues a bit and decided to try and figure out NMM better. I think it looks pretty good, though I'm certain there are plenty of errors in the NMM parts and maybe I'll go back and fix some of the blue panels, but as it's a basic marine... maybe not.

Wip bolter front

wip bolter top

wip bolter back

wip bolter back2

wip bolter side

Edited by Captain Incompetence

Finally finished him. I keep forgetting how many tiny details and bits there are on these models. I've also noticed I spilled some red on the pauldrons apparently :dry.:. Oh well, free OSL I guess.

BolterMarine Front

BolterMarine Front2

BolterMarine Back

BolterMarine Side

BolterMarine top

Edited by Captain Incompetence

Thanks everyone.

You've really nailed Night Lords blue. :thumbsup:

I also find it somewhat amusing that you're so critical of your own work and yet I and others find that it is pretty damn great. :smile.:

Well, you know what they say. You're your own worst critic :sweat:.

Did some more work on some bolter dudes, though it's a bit sloppy and I'll have to go back and clean up some of that blue and make that brass pop a bit more. The colours came out slightly brighter than the other guy, but I think it's a combination of airbrushing the basecoat and probably being a bit sloppy with my paint mixing. In other news, I got a delivery in for some more sculpting material, as I'd like to do a bit more conversion stuff and get better at sculpting with greenstuff and milliput. Hopefully I'll get around to that sooner rather than later.

BolterDudes wip