FW Dreadnought focuses lista

Do any of you fellow stinkys run a lot of FW Dreads in your lists instead of the DG specific units (bloat drones, haulers, crawlers)?

If so, how do you like that kind of list composition?

With the no penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons for infantry and dreadnoughts I feel like out of all of chaos DG makes the most of including FW Dreads in their Army lists

A thread suggesting the combining of some of my favourite things, I'm interested and I'm reading!

I regret having built my FW dreads with two of them in dual dccw config, the other as twin Las and claw (think 5th ed iirc). Resin can be pretty brittle in places and really dont fancy my chances at altering them after a past attempt failed bad.

But if this thread can find them a place, I'm all for it :)

I have two leviathans (only one painted) and a contemptor. Magnetised but typically run butcher cannons. Find they can pump out a lot of hurt and draw a ton of fire. People usually focus on the Levi and the contemptor gets the to put in some work.

I like poxwalkers and have 60 so fielding 3*20 with typhus as screens is ace. But I also get a lot of mileage out of my hellbrutes with lascannon and missiles standing at the back.

That being said we do not play competitively

Edited by happyslugger

I only put things in my list that have DR for fluffs sake so I don't use them. But the dreadnaughts are some of the most competitively priced FW models, most are too cheap and will probably have costs go up when the GW's studio does FW balance.

They are amazing in DG though. DG lacks high strength long distance shooting which dreadnaughts excel at. Our legion trait is also the best traitor one for them. Most of the time I see people use them in DG it's pure shooting. We have enough melee threat/detterent with all the plague flamers and special rules on things like haulers and blightspawns. Personally I'm hoping for a strat to give a helbrute/dread DR. They would get some sales out of it haha. With DG PA coming out in the next 2 months and then the FW unit balance I don't know long term what will be most effective.

When the next codex comes out the legion trait by then should be army wide (and if not I'll just quit the hobby again for a few editions). That should improve the Daemon engines uses (crawlers moving and hitting on 4's, bloat drones could actually use the blight launcher and advance every turn and still hit on 4's). Time will tell!

Regardless I do have two bloat drones left over (dark imperium ones) and have two sets of dune crawler legs. I saw conversions online with people putting butcher cannons on a Drone and putting them on the legs and making some sweet converted dreads for DG.

I'm sorry Putrid Choir, I don't follow your thoughts on DR and fluffiness. None of the Chaos Marine standard vehicles have it, but the majority of those vehicles are fluffly choices for Death Guard. IMO there's plenty of fluffy reasons to include Heresy era Dreads in a Death Guard Army.

Right now I have a list in battlescribe with 2 Contemptors (DCCW/Las), 2 Deredeos (Plasma), and one Levi (Dual Butch). I'd like to have 3 Contemptors, I just don't know if I want to drop the Blightlords out of the list.

I don't know if anyone on B&C has utilized 4-5+ Dreads in their lists.

I have been getting very good results with my tridero (3 deredeos) and a plasma pistol/chainsword lord for the re-rolls. Inexorable Advance allows me to start them hidden and when they eventually have to move, they are still hitting on 2's.

I had been running 2 deredeos, 1 leviathan, and 1 ccw hellbrute. While the helbrute would die before combat (except once) as it drew all the fire running across the board, my leviathan was able to march to the middle of the table. I usually kept the deredeos in my deployment to intimidate any would be deepstrikers. If PA comes out with something that buffs hellbrutes with DR or +1T, maybe even a 5++, I might just try that list again.

I enjoy dreadnoughts, often run a Levi and two Contemptors in games of 1500-2000 points. Now that fists got tolerably cheaper, it's much more sustainable to have them all advance on different fronts and pepper the enemy faff while heading to crush their tanks.