Masque of the Gilded Fable (Zebulon’s Harlequins)

Zebulon

Hey awesome mate :-)

Dare I ask...what you building next?

I am enjoying their candy-colour ways :)

I have primed two more troupes, will switch around some of the same colours to differentiate them I think.

Also, I have primed a Starweaver/Voidweaver with leadbelcher spray, and am making some fumbling steps towards a scheme for it. As mentioned, I don’t have an airbrush so the scheme is likely to be more redolent of graffiti I think.

I have freehanded a cosmic serpent along one side in lime green (I forget the proper name) and edged it in black. I think I will also have some diamonds on the nose cone. Interiors will have touches of the purples and pinks of the Masque’s holosuits. Weapons likely to match the troops’ ones in bone and gold. Will see how all this comes together...

Thanks guys! :)

I am considering giving a wash over the parts that are still silver, so that they come up a metallic green at the front, fading to metallic violet further back. I am worried it might not work out though and spoil the good work done so far. Likewise, I’d like to do some overlaps with more diamonds (or more likely underlaps as it were) but sometimes less is more. I guess it’s not the end of the world if I have to redo some or all of it...

Hi Zebulon,

I can't see too clearly on the photo..has it made it darker?

Argh, you’re right. I will try to get better photos. Against a dark background maybe.

What is meant to be visible is the dark green over the silver at the front and the violet over the silver at the back.

Okay mate, 

I can see some purple on the silver (on the rear wing section) but cant make out the green.  Probably photo issue mate can you try a couple more at some point?

Are you happy with it?  If so, that's half the battle won already :-) 

Edited by happyslugger

Dwango do you mean the original green or the original silver?

Slugger I actually found the opposite: the coelia greenshade wouldn’t adhere to the model at all unless I mixed in some base caliban green which may explain the blotchiness. However for some reason the druchii violet went on great straight from the pot, and I am quite happy with how that shade looks over the silver base coat. I wonder if the new shades are just too watery to do anything but sit in recesses, whereas the old shades work like a glaze - which I like.

It was the original green as you felt it was blotchy. That might negate the glaze look you are after though.

Yeah, that’s the dilemma now. Whether to try a more consistent matte finish across the front part of the craft, or to bring it back to silver and try a new glaze, either in deep green or another colour. I don’t know. Any suggestions are welcome, I am open to ideas.

I’m still not sure, but I think I will need to something to improve the front section. Thanks for those thoughts.

In the meantime, I intend an update on troupe number two “soon” - I am thinking the first troupe will be my light, this current one will be the dark; then will see how I switch things up for the “twilight” :tu:

It’s actually a green highlight on a wash of black basecoat, but it does look kinda silver. It suddenly struck me, “far future space elf ninja clowns won’t have steel swords!” - I like the effect. As if a sliver of obsidian had been forged with a glowing ember summoned from the warp...