Josh Reynolds no longer works for BL

Has anyone read the Lukas short story A Trick of the Light? If so, what is it about?

I feel like Reynolds was trying to build up a portfolio of Lukas work in the same way he did for Fabius and the Blackshields

• 2 weeks later...

HH audio. Endryd Haar and co. smash their way into the upper reaches of an orbital spire-city, take the ruling family hostage and attempt to rob a stasis-vault in order to steal the ancient weapons within.

not gonna lie... that would have been *BLAM* awesome

HH audio. Endryd Haar and co. smash their way into the upper reaches of an orbital spire-city, take the ruling family hostage and attempt to rob a stasis-vault in order to steal the ancient weapons within.

not gonna lie... that would have been *BLAM* awesome

Yeah I wish there were more smash and grab/ heist stories in 30k + 40k with Astartes. 

• 4 weeks later...

They are the best BL works I've read in an extremely long time.

Couldn't put the 2nd one down. There are some serious concepts being covered, and just great all around.

Agreed. The Bile books are great and definitely high up on my list of favourite BL works.

You can look forward to the third one, it's quite a ride after the first two.

Edited by Panzer

Manflayer came out only as hardcover so far and it sold out fairly quickly, that's why it's not showing up on GW website. Retailers, afaik, were told GW will not be providing them any copies. Your usual GW mismanagement.

Unacceptable.

Couldn't put the 2nd one down. There are some serious concepts being covered, and just great all around.

I consider Clonelord to be the GOAT Black Library novel fwiw

Manflayer came out only as hardcover so far and it sold out fairly quickly, that's why it's not showing up on GW website. Retailers, afaik, were told GW will not be providing them any copies. Your usual GW mismanagement.

Yep. I also heard some rumours on Reddit (therefore they must be 100% proooved) that the Fabius Bile series won't be receiving an omnibus with all of the short stories included? Makes me VERY :cussing worried about whether there is going to be a paperback release or not - considering how I collect paperbacks and donated my hardback Manflayer copy to a charity bookstore after finishing it

The only saving grace is that Black Library will literally print fresh air to make money nowadays, and can't resist making a few bob on this sometime next year

There definitely is going to be a paperback release of Manflayer, I wouldn't worry about that. Various sites have it listed either for October 2020 or March 2021. The October date would follow your usual BL/GW pattern, however, under the current circumstances, they might still change it.

Sooner or later, I believe, we will get some fancy box set/special edition of the trilogy. Once the Siege/Primarch series is done, BL might start looking into milking the older books more often.

I consider Clonelord to be the GOAT Black Library novel fwiw

I could see an argument for it actually. I'm going through some stuff in dreaded RL, so maybe its just hitting a weird nerve, but as I finished it, I thought 'wow, what a crazy love story'.

The relationships, the characterization, the story arcs, I cannot wait until the 3rd one is available to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This sort of smells like office politics to me.

Also, what jokes were controversial?

If I had to guess, it was simply the amount of humor in his novels rather than the jokes himself.

Josh did say in an interview for 28 Mag that he did not fit in as well as the other authors at BL. Not that they didn't get along well or anything, but simply that he has a loud and jocular personality, while the others are more quiet and professional (his words).

So perhaps he did rub an editor the wrong way or something? It's a shame because he was clearly one of their best authors.

No. Fun. Allowed. - BL editors.

It's wild because his humour was never anything other than appropriate or fitted to the subject. Definitely in stuff like his Fabius Bile books or his Lukas novel but also in wry examples in his Fulgrim novel and Apocalypse. Didn't detract from it at all and gave us the wonderful scene of an Imperial Fists solemnly decreeing that if his post required small talk with mortals then no matter how painful, this son of Dorn would master the art of small talk.

I've listened to a lot of Reynolds work for both AoS and 40K recently.

His humour and tone is a fresh and different take on the somewhat depressing settings. It's right on the spot. Not too silly, not to dry.

If that is one of the reasons why the collaboration between them ended, then...what the heck?!

No. Fun. Allowed. - BL editors.

It's wild because his humour was never anything other than appropriate or fitted to the subject. Definitely in stuff like his Fabius Bile books or his Lukas novel but also in wry examples in his Fulgrim novel and Apocalypse. Didn't detract from it at all and gave us the wonderful scene of an Imperial Fists solemnly decreeing that if his post required small talk with mortals then no matter how painful, this son of Dorn would master the art of small talk.

That is painfully ironic to me.

Because while there is humour, he seems to have a talent for not being unintentionally funny when he goes for somber and tragic.

With characters like Fabius, Fulgrim and even the Anchorite. They all have jokes and small talk but they also convey such an immense weight of tiredness and fatigue as well as morbid sadness that I found really impressive. Heck, it even creates a sense of tension when characters arent being funny.

Those moments when Sliscus drops the act or when Lukas has this strange sense of Russ's spirit strangling him while somberly analyzing the paradoxical nature of his Legion. Those sections stand out to me precisely because of the contrast.

He also seems to have a much better grip on the 'burned out and turned to excess' Slaanesh corruption compared to someone like McNeill who writes the EC by strapping two hams to a stick and beating the hell out of his keyboard. Or the Harlequins in his books seeming to be genuinely and perturbingly deranged and manic, in a way that is genuinely offputting without resorting to chaos's 'and then I drank the liquified brains of 80 extra sad orphans to fuel my flamer to cook my meth' shtick.

Idk, its just a weird thing to hear. His works just dont seem that funny to me as much as they carry a sense of genuine mythos compared to other BL stuff. Granted this might be because I have overestimated how much of the humor in other books was intentional.

Edited by StrangerOrders

It's interesting to hear he considers other BL writers more professional. His 40K work alone is a proof enough of his professionalism. He mentioned it multiple times he's not that into 40K and he doesn't find Space Marines interesting, yet he gave us one of the best SM books. His Fulgrim in his novel had more depth than what McNeill managed to butcher in 500 pages in his Fulgrim novel.

I still hope one day he will come back.