Can I suggest new symbols under our forum name?

Been thinking about this for a while and wondered if we could get new symbols for different factions under our usernames instead of the stock battleline upwards facing arrow. 

Not a major problem in the grand scheme of things just a suggestion. I fully expect the answer to be no but thought I’d ask. 

As background, the symbols are rooted in our origins as a site dedicated to Space Marines. The symbols are currently associated with the user group, so everyone in a user group uses the same symbol. This will not change under the current software.

However, we are preparing for the software upgrade (moving at the speed of smell), which we hope to kick off in the next few months (before the end of the year). As we prepare for that transition we can look into whether or not we can either use different symbols or allow members to choose, perhaps from a range of symbols. Alternately, if we can't offer members with choices and we want to change from the Space Marine roots, we might consider faction-agnostic symbols. Or we may do away with them altogether.

At this point, I'd like some input from the community.

If we are limited to one symbol per user group, what would be most appropriate? My instinct tells me that the symbols for the unit types (which generally match those of the Space Marines) would be a viable choice.

If we are able to offer members choices, what would work? Would it be best to take the faction-specific versions of the symbols? What about those factions that don't have the full range of unit types?

If we switch to faction-agnostic symbols, what would work?

Or would you prefer to just do away with the user group symbols altogether?

I personally would like to choose from faction symbols but I don’t mind if they disappear when the new software kicks in. 

Cheers for the informative reply Brother Tyler much appreciated mate. 

No strong opinion. I would leave them as they are, I think. A bit of 'tradition' can't hurt there. And there's already place to show faction allegiances in the signature (not like I actually know how to do these signature banners, but err... in theory?), so I don't really see the need.

Having seen what fifty-thousand different bloody symbols looks like on some forums I'd rather we didn't go down that route; a users avatar is more than enough.

Failing that, the option on the user-end to disable seeing the symbols would be grand; apart from the essentials, such as ADMINISTRATUM and so forth.

As a member of... quite some time... I would rather see the symbols stay the same.  In saying that I am and firmly have been a member of the Frater Domus for so long I hardly notice it anymore but still, some things should stay the same from the "good old days".