BIG Preview Speculation

Every time I see an announcement that "something big" is coming for 40k, I get nervous.

People have been talking about 9th edition rumours since Sisters dropped, without any credible source for the rumour, so much so that my paranoia grows. I've played this game forever, but I've never invested as heavily in any other edition as this one. This is my golden age of table-top gaming, right here.

And I've got to concede; the possibility exists. I'm hoping not. If it's a soft transition, my interest in the hobby might survive. If it's a hard reset though, there's almost no chance that I'll buy into it another edition. 

So the discussion here is: If not a new edition, what might the BIG Preview be?

A large army update? A new campaign set? A set of add-on rules? A brand new faction? A confirmation about some of the 40k film/ television projects that have been in development? A digital subscription rules service to fully archive and implement the final iteration of a true living rules system?

What do you think? What would you prefer?

Eh moving to 9th ed, why not it cant be any worse for CSM and other armies at this point. Its likely to be the primaris stuff in the distorted pic we got ages ago and new necron re-vamp for models like CSM got, maybe a new pariah unit, silent king. 

I don't think we're getting a new edition as much as an update to streamline the core of the game, maybe tweak a couple more things. I honestly don't think we're going to get an official change unless they massively overhaul the game system again.

There is a lot of stuff I'd like to see (like officially adding the FW options to the codexes since the main studio is doing both now), as well as seeing some Horus Heresy stuff make a transition into 40k (Gal Vorbak please!), but honestly I'm thinking the big announcement is going to be the next main story line going forward with a focus on the Silent King and how his influence starts shaking up the setting.

Every preview has been described as "big" or "huge". None of them have been, They haven't been bad, but nothing earth shattering. IMO, temper your expectations, don't get too excited. Better to be pleasantly surprised by how big it is than disappointed by how big it isn't.

If it's a new edition, it's highly unlikely to be a complete reset. They don't do them often. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 7th to 8th are the only resets we've seen so far. The rest have been evolutions of previous editions, which is what 9th will most likely be. What I'm more worried about is if the evolution "invalidates" some armies, making them awful until GW get around to giving them an up to date Codex. Think Tyranids from 6th to 7th.

I feel like Psychic Awakening is a shot at trying for that 8.5 (or maybe 8.1 depending on how many iterations we see of this edition) update without leaving things completely in the wind for a while before they can get back to them. Some things are further along in production (models, rules, ect), while others need more work leading to how incomplete some of the updates have been, though this may help iron out potential issues from the codexes later.

My money is on a new starter set, Primaris Dante & super Sanguinor. Maybe a librarian redemptor dreadnought too for BA. Necrons and BA are too heavily linked in the recent fluff for one to get a re-do and not the other. None of these things invalidate Blood of Baal as they are additions, not replacements, for what is in the book. 

Edit:Grammar 

Edited by MrSpoon

I think because it says "blow the lid off something huge for the 41st Millennium" that it will impact all races in some way .I personally think it'll be 9th edition with a lore update that heavily features the Necrons. If I were to bet on something I'd say that it'll be more story progression based on some new information regarding the past that dates back millienia.

Moving this from the other topic... Here is what I predict might happen:

-Wrap up of Psychic Awakening leading into 9th edition

-9th will have a new boxset, Necrons v Astartes, all new easy kits for both factions

-Necrons get a Death Guard style/sized release of new, updated models. Easy to build kits in boxset, new codex, eventually getting multipart releases

-Snap fit Primaris in set, eventually getting full releases same as what happened with Shadowspear.

-Full kit release for Suppressors alongside new units

-9th will be a cleaned up (all Erratas, faqs, updates etc in core rules), streamlined (some fixes in terms of language and rules), perfected and expanded version of 8th (better terrain rules, more and better missions, more ways to play, etc).

As I mentioned from the other thread, I’m hoping to see the Silent King, Destroyer Lord with legs, Primaris Bikers and new Melee Primaris units :smile.:

I don't particularly like the idea of changing the destroyers too much from their current silhouette. Although giving them a Szeras style Spider-legged aspect would be cool - Rather than hovering about they crawl all over walls and the like blasting enemies.

Primaris Bikers and assault units will finally sway me into getting some Marines, I want a White Scars army, but without those I cannot justify it.

Edited by TootiusNootius

Outta left field, maybe, but Psychic Awakening has been hinting at an “Imperial Daemons”-type faction shaping up, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if that gets unveiled, either in lieu of or alongside 9th.

(I cannot usefully express how dumb the idea is, but I think that makes it much more likely, overall)

Destroyers have been floating since their earliest incarnation (the original models were basically speeder platforms IIRC), and I highly doubt that they're going to roll back their defining visual characteristic. Can't imagine why you'd want that.

Outta left field, maybe, but Psychic Awakening has been hinting at an “Imperial Daemons”-type faction shaping up, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if that gets unveiled, either in lieu of or alongside 9th.

(I cannot usefully express how dumb the idea is, but I think that makes it much more likely, overall)

I really hope you're wrong :P

Edited by Marshal Loss

I’d like to see Wrath and Rapture CSM edition. World Eaters and Emperor’s Children. Unit of Zerkers, unit of Noise Marines some generic CSM characters that can be us d by either army, or generic CSM. You’d have the start of a WE army and the start of an EC army that you could split with a mate, or the slightly larger start of a BL army.