TCFKA the Red Ravens - The StormCrows the "Villta Veiðin"

When I thought up the festival, I also thought it would serve as a rite of passage for the populations of planets under the Red Ravens' protection: To be recognized as a man, a youth must pass through the "Bone Fields" over which the Wild Hunts are conducted. Rather than use the Wild Hunt to purge themselves of "undesirables," the people use it to test their own sons' worth, letting these youths prove they have the strength to survive in a cruel galaxy (those who survive a Wild Hunt, may tattoo Valknuts or other symbols on their shoulders); the feasts are meant to celebrate the end of the Wild Hunt.

The issue I have, and it's really the only issue, is that what you're calling a wild hunt, is conflated with The Wild Hunt, and that bugs me. The festivals could be called something else like the "Hunter's Rite" and still be fine. The biggest issue I have, is that The Wild Hunt is something you don't want to be associated with. They'll take your soul, trapping you forever in an endless hunt. If you don't make your offerings to them, they'll flay you living and give you bloody wings. They're terrifying to these people, because all they've seen of them is their ghostly blue eyes (helmet lenses) as they appear from the gloom, root out the evil among them, and then fade back into the shadows, as if by magic. During the Hunts passing all they could hear would be tortured screams of cultists burning, and they'd see the shadows from the dancing flames. When the Wild Hunt appears, you get hidden, lest they take you.

The other thing is that the worlds that really believe in these legends and the supernatural nature of these ghostly warriors would be the primitive feral worlds. The More advanced worlds in their home cluster would treat the festivals in much the same way as we do holidays. Samhain and all hallows eve are festivals of the harvest, but decorations like jack o' lanterns were intended to ward off evil spirits as the realms overlapped. I would see a similar purpose for those festivals. It's an opportunity to test the young men, while also "weeding out" the undesirables to appease the Wild Hunt and keep them away from the villages.

It's an opportunity to test the young men, while also "weeding out" the undesirables to appease the Wild Hunt and keep them away from the villages.

As the act of "weeding out the undesirables" may weaken Imperial authority over the planets, and ultimately enable and/or outright create Chaos cults seeking to overthrow the Imperium, I think it's best to minimize the planetary governors' role in the Wild Hunts. My proposal:

A courtier with an urgent message, barges into a planetary governor's office. The governor's anger at the interruption, turns to fear when the courtier tells him WHO the message is from. The Red Ravens arrive shortly to see the governor groveling before them; they ignore the governor's attempts at charming them, and state the Chapter will conduct a Wild Hunt over certain regions of the planet, to gather resources they need for their war efforts. The governor argues those regions provide vital resources already promised to the High Lords of Terra, as tithes; the Red Ravens decide to humor the governor's efforts to maintain the illusion he has any say in this, and make the "concession" of seizing 90% of available resources instead of 100%, state the governor's private stores can compensate for the lost tithes, and then leave.

The governor issues a warning to the affected regions, telling its inhabitants to stay indoors during the Wild Hunt; though the Red Ravens can easily jam the transmission and intercept the messengers, they allow the warning to go out, as hunting those in hiding is good practice for counterinsurgency. Some towns see the Wild Hunt as an excuse to purge themselves of "undesirables"; the purged return after the Hunt, intending to steal food and clothing, only to find their hometowns emptied of people and stripped of resources, seemingly as punishment for challenging the Emperor's will. Other towns see their youths disobey their parents' orders to stay indoors, the youths determined to prove their courage by going out to witness the Wild Hunt; these youths disappear without a trace.

After seizing the resources they need, the Red Ravens leave. The governor asks his subjects to join him in prayer, dispatches trusted lieutenants to help rebuild regions the Wild Hunt affected, and warns his subjects to be mindful of the Emperor's will, which His angels of death (Red Ravens conducting the Wild Hunt) embody.

It's an opportunity to test the young men, while also "weeding out" the undesirables to appease the Wild Hunt and keep them away from the villages.

As the act of "weeding out the undesirables" may weaken Imperial authority over the planets, and ultimately enable and/or outright create Chaos cults seeking to overthrow the Imperium, I think it's best to minimize the planetary governors' role in the Wild Hunts. My proposal:

A courtier with an urgent message, barges into a planetary governor's office. The governor's anger at the interruption, turns to fear when the courtier tells him WHO the message is from. The Red Ravens arrive shortly to see the governor groveling before them; they ignore the governor's attempts at charming them, and state the Chapter will conduct a Wild Hunt over certain regions of the planet, to gather resources they need for their war efforts. The governor argues those regions provide vital resources already promised to the High Lords of Terra, as tithes; the Red Ravens decide to humor the governor's efforts to maintain the illusion he has any say in this, and make the "concession" of seizing 90% of available resources instead of 100%, state the governor's private stores can compensate for the lost tithes, and then leave.

The governor issues a warning to the affected regions, telling its inhabitants to stay indoors during the Wild Hunt; though the Red Ravens can easily jam the transmission and intercept the messengers, they allow the warning to go out, as hunting those in hiding is good practice for counterinsurgency. Some towns see the Wild Hunt as an excuse to purge themselves of "undesirables"; the purged return after the Hunt, intending to steal food and clothing, only to find their hometowns emptied of people and stripped of resources, seemingly as punishment for challenging the Emperor's will. Other towns see their youths disobey their parents' orders to stay indoors, the youths determined to prove their courage by going out to witness the Wild Hunt; these youths disappear without a trace.

After seizing the resources they need, the Red Ravens leave. The governor asks his subjects to join him in prayer, dispatches trusted lieutenants to help rebuild regions the Wild Hunt affected, and warns his subjects to be mindful of the Emperor's will, which His angels of death (Red Ravens conducting the Wild Hunt) embody.

It is my intent that The Wild Hunt refers only to the Red Ravens Space Marine chapter, and absolutely nothing else. Since my inspiration for this derives from folklore, and in order for the Norse inspired worlds to feel authentic, this is not something that will change, and I would appreciate it if you would stop proposing that the wild hunt is some trial to be passed. There is only one Wild Hunt. The Red Ravens don't conduct a Wild Hunt. They ARE the Wild Hunt, their hunt is eternal, and their prey is all enemies of humanity and the Imperium. With that said, Here's my counter:

The only worlds which wouldn't understand their place in the Imperium would be the feral worlds, which don't have planetary governors. Those are the ones which fear the Wild Hunt, as opposed to fearing the Astartes of the Red Ravens. The feral worlders do not understand the concept of Space Marines, and only know of the massive ghostly grey warriors who have claimed many sons and visited punishment upon the worshipers of the dark ones. On the last night of the harvest festival the young men go out from the villages to face The Wild Hunt, in a test of cunning and courage. They attempt to test themselves as hunters by stalking the wraiths, in a challenge know as the "The Hunter's Rite". Those who return are welcomed back into the village, as they survived the night, proving that they will be worthy hunters for the coming winter.

The truth is that the young men are not the hunters, but the hunted. It is only when the warriors of the Villta Veiðin (what the rest of the cluster knows as de Vilda Jakten) show themselves to the aspiring hunters that the choosing truly happens. Only those who show no fear when faced with what they believe to be the incarnation of death itself; are deemed worthy by the Red Ravens, and taken. Furthermore, the Red Ravens appreciate the chase. The Choosing rarely only lasts the night. Stories tell of sightings of the Villta Veiðin as much as a week after the end of the harvest festival. The "Hunter's Rite" is what demonstrates a recruits potential, and the longer the recruit can prolong the chase, the more the Raven's interest grows. There have even been cases where the intended recruit comes back to the village half starved and exhausted. The recruit believes that they are safe, but then the Wild Hunt comes in the night, to claim what is theirs, no soul shall escape them...

The Fortress world understands their duty to the Imperium, and happily surrenders their second born sons as tribute, as well as providing soldiers and support personnel to the Chapter. The Fortress World will send a training cadre out into the wilderness, where the "Second Sons" are subjected to raids and forced to survive and fight. The Red Ravens observe this military exercise, which takes place twice a year, during the harshest conditions. These cadets are pushed to their physical and mental limits, and only those who can surpass those limits, though cunning, tenacity, and sheer will are selected. It is considered an honor for these boys to be selected. In their culture, a firstborn son is expected to serve in the home guard, and inherit the family legacy, while a second son is often expected to be tithed to the Imperial Guard, and win glory for the family out in the galaxy, no greater glory can be won than as an Astartes.

The Forge World dedicates a full 40% of its production to the Red Ravens to keep their war machine running, an arrangement with which the Red Ravens are more than pleased. The Forge world also serves as a recruiting ground for the Chapter's techmarines and vehicle crews. None understand the engines of war better than those who build them.

The Agri-worlds are simple folk, happy to provide for the Emperor's avenging Angels and equally happy to supply the Fortress World and Forge World. Each Agri-world supplies 15% of their production to the Red Ravens, which more than meet the Raven's needs.

On all the Imperial Worlds of their home cluster, save for the one hive world, the Red Ravens are beloved protectors. On the Feral Worlds the primitive inhabitants see them as servants of the gods, but an ill omen regardless. For the Feral Worlds, the appearance of the Wild Hunt heralds some catastrophe.

The Hive world is the source of the most trouble. The Feral Worlds are rich in minerals and ores, and the mining concerns of the hive world have made use of it. This has made the hive world quite wealthy, as it is the source of all trade within the cluster. The Forge World depends on the raw materials from mining, and the Fortress World and Red Ravens are dependent upon material provided by the Forge World. The Hive World's cultural elites use their wealth to secure a comfortable life for themselves, while the inhabitants of the underhives toil in the foundries and mines, both on and off world. The workers live in near slavery, and suffering. It is not uncommon for a Chaos cult to spring up among the discontented masses, a situation which is quickly remedied by the Red Ravens. The Veiðimaður (Lit. "Huntmaster" The Chapter's name for the Chapter Master) has grown weary of these conditions, as they threaten good order within the cluster, and divert precious resources. The Fræðimaður (Lit. "Loremaster", the Chapter's name for Chief Librarian) has chronicled the decadent lifestyles of the nobles of the hive world, and the notably uncooperative nature of the hereditary governors. In the past The Chapter has dealt with these governors, usually by very public displays of brutality, but the Fræðimaður advises a more direct approach. The Villta Veiðin will cull the aristocracy. Their Firstborn sons shall be taken to become serfs of the chapter, and a sizeable portion of their wealth seized. Following the example of their primarch, the downtrodden will be uplifted, and the overlords punished for their greed, for the Nobles know that their sons have lived far too soft a life to ever be fit astartes, and are to be relegated to being menials...

Edit: I was perhaps too harsh in my words towards Bjorn's suggestions. There are elements of folklore to which I wish to remain faithful, and I became heated. for that I'd like to apologize.

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist

Ok, so Working off some private communication with Bjorn, I've got a couple more ideas:

The "Hunter's Rite" is specifically a selection ritual, that separates the wheat from the chaff. The Ones who the Red Raven's deem worthy are taken to their fortress monastery to be trained and inducted into the Chapter. This "Hunter's Rite" takes different forms based on the recruiting world in question. The Fortress World holds a military exercise which pits recruits against seasoned soldiers, and sometimes even scouts of the 10th company in a massive wargame, to test their worth, The Feral Worlders send young men to stalk the Wild Hunt" to prove their worth as hunters. The Agri-Worlders are observed as they track game, and scored on their ability to track, hunt, and make a clean kill, often pitted against the elements for weeks on end.

Not all of the Aspirants will make it after selection for they must next take what the Red Ravens call "The Sacrament of Blood". It signifies the recruit's willingness to put all they were before away, to live only in memory. They are now dead, to be reborn as a member of the Chapter.

This begins their Aspirant trials. All of the varied elements are blended as the aspirants learn from each other and build themselves as a cohesive unit. Any unit which fails as a result of poor teamwork fails as a unit. Only injuries and deaths may see partial units pass the aspirant trials. Many will "wash out" or die, before they are assigned to the 10th Company. Those who wash out are not discarded, they are often still capable warriors and will often be assigned to one of the support units which operate the old legion vehicles.

Furthermore, The Red Ravens armor is an off black color, almost a dark grey, but the ashen grey color derives more from the application of a ritual pigment. This pigment is made from the ashes of the fallen. They cremate their dead after their gene seed is recovered. The Grey color symbolizes the grey stain their forebear's armor took on as they raided and burned heretic worlds during the Heresy. It is also a way for the warriors of the chapter to carry their fallen brothers into battle once more, that they might see vengeance be done. The pigment diffuses scanning technologies, and gives each warrior a ghostly appearance. Coupled with their reliance on stealth, raiding and guerilla tactics, and the pigment itself, the unique blue glow of their helmet lenses, give each warrior the genuine appearance of being undead...

Edit: Furthermore, the application of the pigment is permanent. Once applied, it is never cleaned off. Much of it may rub off, but something of each battle-brother remains so long as the armor exists. Relic suits may have a much greyer tone to them as they have seen countless battles over the millennia. Other suits may have varying tones of the grey woad as plate may have needed to be replaced from damage. It is generally easy to identify a true veteran of many battles based on how grey their armor is.

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist

The "Hunter's Rite" is specifically a selection ritual, that separates the wheat from the chaff. The Ones who the Red Raven's deem worthy are taken to their fortress monastery to be trained and inducted into the Chapter. This "Hunter's Rite" takes different forms based on the recruiting world in question. The Fortress World holds a military exercise which pits recruits against seasoned soldiers, and sometimes even scouts of the 10th company in a massive wargame, to test their worth, The Feral Worlders send young men to stalk the Wild Hunt" to prove their worth as hunters. The Agri-Worlders are observed as they track game, and scored on their ability to track, hunt, and make a clean kill, often pitted against the elements for weeks on end.

Is the "Wild Hunt" still the Red Ravens term for search-and-destroy operations against enemies of the Imperium? If so, using the same term for its recruiting programs can cause the same confusion that led to others (including myself) thinking the Wild Hunt destabilizes Imperial rule over planets under the Chapter's protection. To avoid confusion, maybe use an alternate term for what the feral worlds' young men stalk during the Hunter's Rite. Wikipedia's article on the Wild Hunt has quite a list.

Is the "Wild Hunt" still the Red Ravens term for search-and-destroy operations against enemies of the Imperium? If so, using the same term for its recruiting programs can cause the same confusion that led to others (including myself) thinking the Wild Hunt destabilizes Imperial rule over planets under the Chapter's protection. To avoid confusion, maybe use an alternate term for what the feral worlds' young men stalk during the Hunter's Rite. Wikipedia's article on the Wild Hunt has quite a list.

I used the Term Wild hunt to refer specifically to the Red Ravens. It is their Identity (The Wild Hunt/Host) because they are named for their relentless pursuit of the enemies of humankind. The Hunter's Rite is the test where by the Young men face and attempt to stalk the Red Ravens (To face "The [warriors of the] Wild Hunt"). The Hunter's rite is not the Wild Hunt. It is the Hunter's Rite. That's where the confusion is probably coming from. The name comes from the folklore on their feral worlds which is rooted in ancient terran folklore. The ride of the wild hunt is an ill omen, a portent of doom and destruction... Something which they associate witht he arrival of the Red Ravens 10 millennia ago.

I hope that explains the intent behind the wording.

So I gave them the name Villta Veiðin for use by the Feral Worlders, and I should start using that when they refer to the Red Ravens specifically...

Maybe the Red Ravens can call themselves "Corax's Huntsmen" or "The Emperor's Huntsmen" while testing potential recruits?

They adopted the names given to them. They think of themselves as the Red Ravens of the XIXth Legion. They acknowledge Kayvaan Shrike as the Current leader of the Legion.

They’d refer to themselves as the Rauðu Hrafnarnir, in the local tongue,

They think of themselves as the Red Ravens of the XIXth Legion. They acknowledge Kayvaan Shrike as the Current leader of the Legion.

I presume Chapter Master Shrike keeps the Red Ravens at arms' length, not out of disrespect for fellow sons of Corax, but to avoid accusations of Legion-building and subsequent attention from the Inquisition- and later, from Lord Regent Guilliman?

Did the Red Ravens Chapter Master ever try to act as Iago to the Raven Guard Chapter Master's Othello, and convince the latter to rebuild the XIX Legion, claiming other loyalist Chapters were doing the same and, as supporting evidence, bring "guests" (possible captives) from the Black Templars, Dark Angels (or Fallen Angels), the then-loyal Astral Claws?

I presume Chapter Master Shrike keeps the Red Ravens at arms' length, not out of disrespect for fellow sons of Corax, but to avoid accusations of Legion-building and subsequent attention from the Inquisition- and later, from Lord Regent Guilliman?

Shrike would do everything he can to keep from being accused of legion building. but considering that both chapters are very understrength consistently, and the exact number of Astartes in either chapter is not fully known, the accusation of legion building might well be moot, as between the two chapters there might only be about 1400 total astartes (before the indomitus crusade and the intoduction of primaris marines bringing them both closer to full strength).

The Red Ravens would want to allow themselves to be called upon by the Raven Guard's Chapter master for special assistance. Though they operate as a separate chapter, they still maintain close ties to their Legion's successor. They have even been known to share their untainted gene seed, reluctantly, but again, they see themselves as part of the legion, and stand ready should the XIXth Legion ever be called to full strength.

Also, the Red Ravens focus on small unit tactics and battleline squads typically operate in five man kill teams. It offers them more tactical flexibility allowing them to use their stealth to their advantage and ten astartes can then, using speed, surprise, and violence of action, double their results. Their philosophy of battle revolves around hit and run raids, making them seem to be a larger force than they really are.

(This is all fluff to justify using Kayvaan Shrike on the tabletop, without painting him in my chapter colors, because I really like him as a character, and I don't want to just use him as a stand in for my special snowflake character).

Did the Red Ravens Chapter Master ever try to act as Iago to the Raven Guard Chapter Master's Othello, and convince the latter to rebuild the XIX Legion, claiming other loyalist Chapters were doing the same and, as supporting evidence, bring "guests" (possible captives) from the Black Templars, Dark Angels (or Fallen Angels), the then-loyal Astral Claws?

The Red Ravens don't trust the Adeptus Administratum, and don't really care what other chapters do. They do like the autonomy that the current system allows, seeing the XIXth legion as an administrative structure rather than a combat formation, after all, a full legion taking the field just to break down into smaller units to accomplish objectives seems pointless, as that's how the Raven Guard always operate. They see the position of the Master of the Legion as a strategic position, allowing Shrike to dictate their area of responsibility, and allowing them to operate under their own initiative. (Master of the Legion would be a Strategic level position to them, while their Veiðimanin, chapter master, would be an operational level position, while the captains would then be the highest level of tactical command). This allows them to work both as both part of a larger campaign, but also have the ability to choose their targets.

My goal is to make them feel norse themed, but also function very much like a modern special operations unit.

You have a lot of good ideas, and clearly put in effort in thinking them through.

Thanks. This is probably my favorite part of 40k. Sure playing the game and painting the models is great, but I like stories, and that's why I don't really care for tournaments in 40k, is because for me it's all about telling stories. I'm going to have to write some fan fiction over in that subforum.

I hit on an interesting Idea, each company would have a specialization, so that the chapter as a whole is more flexible. Here's the breakdown:

1st Company - Shock Troops (Berserkir)

The FIrst company, are the only remaining Company of Purely Firstborn Astartes. They excel at breaking stalemates, and capturing or demolishing fortifications. They make prolific use of close range weaponry. Their vanguard veterans use jump packs to close the distance and get into melee with defenders. While their Sternguard use flamer and melta weapons to burn out defenders, and their Terminators provide an unbreakable spearhead, with their relic Cataphractii Suits and lightning claws.

2nd Company- Raiders/Asymmetric Warfare

The Second Company excels as a raiding force. Using stealth they penetrate enemy lines and defenses and sow chaos among the enemy, by disrupting their ability to communicate and supply reinforcements. Their infiltration tactics allow them to close with the enemy. They prefer to pass without a trace, using melee to eliminate threats silently, or making use of snipers to eliminate key command and control points. They make heavy use of Phobos armored units, and intercessors with the auto bolt rifles, as they value both volume of fire and accuracy to eliminate threats.

3rd Company - Special Reconnaissance

This company excels at standing off at range and observing enemy positions. Their typical weapons selection sees them prefer longer ranged weapons. Their intercessors typically carry either standard or stalker pattern Bolt Rifles. As their primary objective is not to engage but to observe, they tend to shy away from the use of short ranged heavy infantry like Aggressors or Inceptors. Instead preferring the use of suppressors and bikers. They tend on  using Longer ranged dreadnoughts.

4th Company - Air Assault/Quick Reaction Force

This company makes heavy use of close range heavy infantry and tends to deploy most of the heavy armor, and aircraft. This is a mixed unit that favors the flexibility of the old tactical squad as their primary battle line, While supporting them with Aggressors and Inceptors, as well as utilizing Leviathan Dreadnoughts.

5th Company - Combat Engineers/Demolitions

This company Makes heavy use of devastator squads, and heavy weapon tactical squads, while they make extensive use of Inceptors. They are experts at building hasty defenses, as well as destroying things from range. They typically tote heavy melta or plasma weaponry, as those are their most destructive tools. Redemptors are their preferred dreadnought, as it can carry advanced plasma weaponry and is an incredibly sturdy weapons platform.

Nicely done. I think there Specilaztion is good explained and described.

Thanks. I kinda want to build each battle company now. I would also tend to think that the 3rd company would also use scouts as battleline in place of tactical squads and use them outside the 10th company, in the same way as they would have under the old legion structure as recon squads in recon armor. in this way, they would be codex compliant in their structure, but much more tactically flexible.

I thought to do the Same, but never done :smile.:

It just came to me last night, and I started to write it out. It just sort of snowballed. I had to think about how would a group of viking super solder commandos use all of the units...

Now i have a good Guideline.

I'm glad I could be of help!

Ok, so here's some culture stuff for the Red Ravens. When they go "a viking", basically whenever they go out from their fortress monastery to wage war, recruit from their planetary cluster, or on crusade, or whatever mission they're on, their librarius always sends skalds and scholars to record the events. While the Scholars concern themselves with events, the skalds concern themselves with people.

The Skalds will often record their subjects in verse, and compose songs to remember heroic deeds. They do not concern themselves with who, They will sing their kvæði (traditional folk songs, from the Faroe islands, IRL) about Guardsmen, Astartes of other Chapters, Sororitas, and their own, who fought and performed heroic deeds worthy of song and story, all with equal vigor. They are champions of humanity.

They will even write songs about campaigns in which they were aided by unlikely allies, as they do not hate Xenos, merely treat them with extreme suspicion and mistrust. They have been known to briefly ally with Xenos to fight a greater threat, when it benefits the Imperium. More than once this has landed them subject to the Inquisition's scrutiny, but Inquisitors who question their loyalty have a habit of stumbling into actual trouble (On one occasion a Group of Eldar and the Ravens banded together to fight a Khornate incursion. The inquisitor who accused them of heresy ended up cleft in twain and eviscerated by a bloodletter's sword... Brother Torstein was cleaning bits of him out of his armor for weeks... found a tooth a month later...)

The Red Ravens are one of the few Space marine chapters that contain troops trained in close order drill, and as such are one of the few which actually do parade marches. As a point, when Red Ravens become full astartes, the Reserve companies will perform an ancient Military Review for the Veiðimannin so that he may inspect the new troops. This is done as both ceremony for the new graduates, but also as a vital teamwork exercise teaching them to rely on their new brothers to do their part. It is always held on the Fortress world of the Skaði Cluster, as they are the only ones with a parade ground, and are the center of military command and forces within the cluster. Before the Pass and Review, the chapter will perform a kvæði led by a Skald of the Librarius and the Company veterans at the head of each company formation (Often less than an actual company, being a block formation 6 across and 8 deep) will form a shield wall, and the warriors will beat the rhythm for the kvæði on their shields. This is to motivate their warriors and reaffirm their warrior spirit.

The Skalds will often choose inspiring ballads of great deeds. But depending on the setting, the subject will be a humorous anecdote (such as the time Brother Torstein slipped and fell on his arse in inquisitor and bloodletter entrails, after that battle. Or Maybe the time that a young guardsman tried to Brother Lodric when he attempted to wake the guardsman for guard duty...) .

I presume "Skald" the Red Ravens term for a Space Marine Librarian?

The Red Ravens actually use the term Librarian, but they have different classes. Scribes record the histories, the Skalds tell the histories. The Skalds are the ones who concern themselves with fighting in battles, while the Scribes primarily concern themselves with tactical guidance and recording events. Together the Scribes and Skalds are the Librarius.

What do they call Techmarines? "Smed" (Danish for "blacksmith," if Wikipedia is correct)?

Járnsmiður (Iron smith) would be the word for techpriest.

Also, Red Ravens has kinda been a working title for the Chapter, because I'm not creative, and I got really invested with the theme. So From this point Forward, I will refer to them as the StormCrows.

I'm going to start working on their Heresy era history a bit too, as I'm planning on expanding the army a bit to work in Horus Heresy, Thinking about a fire raptor, leviathan dreads and Malcador Annihilators...

StormCrows:happy.: ....... I LIKE IT

The other name I had just didn't feel right. It's one of those things. It was a name I had considered but rejected because I thought it sounded corny. But after discussing with a few of my buddies in my local gaming group, I came back to it.

I'm really liking how they're shaping up.

I'm planning on using my primaris models for running them as heresy era Raven Guard. I really like the Primaris aesthetic, and especially the phobos armor looks stripped down, and I like the idea of running my phobos guys as power armored recon squads, and the stripped down aesthetic fits because of the lore I have in my head, says that their armor had to be stripped due to damage to repair their equipment. I also like the scale of the primaris marines.

So I wanted to expand on a tradition that I think is something that we don't see as much in lore. The way the officers of the Stormcrows are chosen. Promotions are handled in a two fold manner. Lieutenants and Sergeants are promoted from withing the company, but it is done by nomination and settled by vote. When a promotion is needed the Company holds an assembly, and at the company level it is referred to as a þingi.

When the þingi is convened it is made up of the Sergeants and Lieutenants of the Company. The officers of the company weigh in and cast their votes. Those in consideration are to have been nominated by their peers, as having their confidence as a leader. The nominees are voted upon by the officers and then the decision is confirmed by the Company Commander. The Nominees are not informed of their eligibility for promotion and are not present at the þingi.

Similarly, when a new Captain must be chosen, a council of officers is convened, made up of the Company Officers, less the nominees, and the captains of the other Companies. To chose a new Chapter Master, the Alþingi is convened. Not only are the Captains and officers of the companies; Captains, Lieutenants, and Sergeants, but also the Reclusiam and Librarius. All those in leadership or advisory positions must be allowed to weight in on the decision. Nominees for chapter master are selected by the Librarius and Reclusiam from among the gathered. Nominees are requested to leave the proceedings until a decision is made. In this way they cannot be allowed to sway the debate by their presence and they can be free from knowing who voted for or against them.

The Storm Crows believe that it is best to select their leaders democratically, as this gives them confidence in their leaders. The Alþingi and company þingi are also used to sort out matters of discipline. When an Astartes crosses the line, it is by their peers they are judged, and sentenced. Gross breaches of honor are typically met with exile, while greater crimes, such as true heresy (acting against humanity's benefit) or chaos corruption is met by swift execution. The Storm Crows do not make extensive use of chaplains, but they do see them as necessary for maintaining order and discipline. Judicars are the most numerous of the Reclusiam among the Storm Crows, and are charged with the grim duty of executing a fallen Astartes.

The Chapter's means of promoting its members makes sense, for the ranks of SGT and LT. For CAPT, excluding the nominees will make it obvious to them they're being considered for SOMETHING (not necessarily a good thing, as meting out a demotion or other non-judicial punishment would be a good reason for a Company's leaders to meet).

The Chapter's means of promoting its members makes sense, for the ranks of SGT and LT. For CAPT, excluding the nominees will make it obvious to them they're being considered for SOMETHING (not necessarily a good thing, as meting out a demotion or other non-judicial punishment would be a good reason for a Company's leaders to meet).

The idea of excluding the nominees is so that their presence would not be prejudicial on the proceedings. In most cases, The þingi is convened and the subjects are simply not informed. Nominees for leadership are usually unaware that they have been selected, as humility is something which is highly prized among the Storm Crows.