Emperor's Children Contemptor

I've had enough to get a second (awaiting build), but then I do love Dreadnoughts :P As a close ranged force after combat a Contemptor offers some good AT fire power to fill the (large) gap, mobile too as going to a 3+ to hit isn't such a big deal when moving. Add in a combat weapon to bash some heads (and regain wounds) and you have a unit that fits in very nicely :) Looking great is the main part of course, but decent rules helps :P

My current Contemptor has butcher cannon/fist and the second will get lascannon/fist for more hitting power - Chaos Contemptors couldn't have lascannons when I got my first.

I have a one I use for my heresy era EC which has a twin lascannon and ifst I could use, but would look a bit on non chaotic side.
Could multie melta with fist work? Could then use the plastic one as a base which would be cheaper and more free reign on my side to convert to a more 40k ec version.

I have the advantage that my CSM are recently turned, but arguably as the Contemptors are relics of the heresy era there's plenty enough merit to including them as is. After all, Predators aren't all scuttling around on 10 legs or growing mouths. Hellforged is only a single rule essentially, and not like GW/FW give us other options ;) I don't think the plastic Contemptor is that much cheaper but if you're going to town with conversion work it should suit your needs.

I think the MM is decent, a solid choice for cracking armour or other nasties. If you're not worried about range as I am then I don't see any reason not to use one, if the Contemptor is advancing on the enemy you'll usually have something to shoot right? 24" isn't that short :)

I have the advantage that my CSM are recently turned, but arguably as the Contemptors are relics of the heresy era there's plenty enough merit to including them as is. After all, Predators aren't all scuttling around on 10 legs or growing mouths. Hellforged is only a single rule essentially, and not like GW/FW give us other options :wink: I don't think the plastic Contemptor is that much cheaper but if you're going to town with conversion work it should suit your needs.

I think the MM is decent, a solid choice for cracking armour or other nasties. If you're not worried about range as I am then I don't see any reason not to use one, if the Contemptor is advancing on the enemy you'll usually have something to shoot right? 24" isn't that short :smile.:

I guess my aversion to a gun contemptor is due to me using one in my TS, and despite my love of power armour I am trying to keep my armies as distinct as possible.

That is true :tongue.: My main issue is the Venomcrawler, as it does seem to kind of outclass Contemptors in every way other then contemptors having legion traits.
Another thought on load out I have had is maybe one with havok launcher, duel fists and dual ectoplasma blasters, a little more expensive then the multimelta, but with 4 more shots and not suffering penalties to hit more likely to actually damage then the melta.
Could use the Kheres, but not sure it adds anything when I normally have 25-30 Noise marines running around ha.
I admit the more I'm lookign at the FW one I want to use it but not sure what I'd actually change other a more 40k Colour scheme.

Edited by Rune Priest Ridcully

They have similarities, but I think you may be underestimating the Contemptor a bit? It is far more accurate, hits harder in combat with a claw not to mention has choices in load out. The Legion trait is the icing on top. You pay some more for the privilege but this reliability is worth it especially if you're relying on it to do some heavy lifting.

The Kheres is nice but I've found that I want something more powerful to get the most out of the platform. The FW kits are great, no change is necessary to fit them in if you don't want. It's not like they can be confused for any other unit :tongue.:

Just as I am relatively new to the current edition's Emp children(I had an army back in 3rd) . Why not use Sonic Dreadnoughts?

I'm planning to use one, but as much as I love my dreadnoughts I've found the ones I use in my GK and TS do sometimes struggle to survive/get in, so thinking contemptors may be better for anything I want to use that isn't just sat back and blasting.

• 1 month later...

Monsters and vehicles got a big boost with being able to move&shoot with heavy weapon without penalty and being able to shoot while in melee (with penalty). We are likely going to see Dreadnoughts quite a bit more often in 9th.

I gather guns got relatively more pricier compared to most increases, but since I am always keeping a CCW it doesn't matter that much to me. Not that I'd change my plan easily, it's very Chaosy and EC to be slapping things about in combat and a Dread of any stripe with a CCW is going to be hitting hard :smile.:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, the additions go a long way :tu: This is mine:

gallery_30308_10249_55200.jpg

The Relic one suits EC too, but I have the EC Contemptor still in the box which will come sooner or later :D Doesn't need lots of spikes as a recent renegade chapter, but removing a few of the more Imperial bits goes a long way too :)