Heraldry of Marshals in Terminator Armor?

I was wondering how to paint the chapter iconography of a Marshal clad in Terminator armor, as I have not seen any official examples of such a miniature in the 4th Ed. BT codex or later codices.

Sword Brethren have red-on-black crosses, and those in Terminator armor have white helmets as well. Marshals (in standard power armor) wear the black-on-white cross. This does not account for Marshals in Terminator armor, however, and their heraldry is not discussed in any official publications that I am aware of. Thus, my inquiry.

Should I give him a white helmet coupled with the standard black-and-white chapter icon? Simply paint him in the colors of Terminator Sword Brethren and rely on his extra bling to set him apart? How do you guys paint Termie Marshals?

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

The topic of Marshals and Castellans colour schemes came up on the Facebook page this week.

What we do know is that all Marshals and Castellans are drawn from the Sword Brethren, so all would be able to wear red crosses on black (think you typo'd that in your OP?) if they wished. My more recent HQs follow that pattern. (I was taken by the idea, particularly with Castellans, that their appointments can be temporary, so they may be absorbed back into the Sword Brethren at some point.) 

In addition, the more recently painted GW HQ models wear the standard black on white, with either black or gold trim. (the BT images in the V1 8th Ed Codex have a Marshal with black cross, black trim, white pad, and a castellan with black cross, gold trim, white pad.) So I think you can happily mix in some gold to set them apart. 

I find it a bit weird there's no official picture of the classic terminator captain in Black Templar colours, he seems a perfect candidate to have been Templar'd as he had a full cloth tabard.

The topic of Marshals and Castellans colour schemes came up on the Facebook page this week.

What we do know is that all Marshals and Castellans are drawn from the Sword Brethren, so all would be able to wear red crosses on black (think you typo'd that in your OP?) if they wished. My more recent HQs follow that pattern. (I was taken by the idea, particularly with Castellans, that their appointments can be temporary, so they may be absorbed back into the Sword Brethren at some point.)

In addition, the more recently painted GW HQ models wear the standard black on white, with either black or gold trim. (the BT images in the V1 8th Ed Codex have a Marshal with black cross, black trim, white pad, and a castellan with black cross, gold trim, white pad.) So I think you can happily mix in some gold to set them apart.

I find it a bit weird there's no official picture of the classic terminator captain in Black Templar colours, he seems a perfect candidate to have been Templar'd as he had a full cloth tabard.

That was indeed a typo, thanks.

Yeah, at first I thought that marshals/command units with the standard black-on-white was a new thing, but then I checked out the old 4th Ed. codex and there's a picture of a Marshal in there that features black-on-white insignia and black trim.

BTMarshalMini.jpg

Like you, I plan to go for standard SB colors on Castellans because of the temporary nature of the position.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

Perhaps it can depend on the individual Marshal? Whether they prefer to display SB colours or the back and white? It's not as if an Initiate is going to point out to his Marshal, complete overall commander of the Crusade, that he's wearing different colours to another Marshal, on a different Crusade, light-years away...!

There's no official heraldry as far as I know.

I've always opted for white on black with Golden Trim to signify command.

Castellans as far as I'm concerned follow the same.

Though I see nothing wrong with having them with SB colours either, it's just they don't seem distinct enough.

I agree that Marshals, in particular, are going to do their own thing. There are a few references to them each having their own heraldry, even. Looking at the 4e codex, there is an old terminator captain pictured. He appears to have white shoulder pads with black trim, but you never see them straight on.

The High marshal is voted by the sword brethren and I think its the same for the honor to wear Terminator Armor. And as we know each Sword Brethren has its own heraldry - so you can do what you want. (by the way - each captain/marshal; Lieutenant/castellan is just a member of the sword brethren)

I agree that Marshals, in particular, are going to do their own thing. There are a few references to them each having their own heraldry, even. Looking at the 4e codex, there is an old terminator captain pictured. He appears to have white shoulder pads with black trim, but you never see them straight on.

Which page? Missed him.

I've always opted for white on black with Golden Trim to signify command.

To really confuse things, because I don't particularly like red, I use that scheme for Sword Brethren and higher, with the exception of the Gravis Marshal leading my Crusade, who is in full gold a la Helbrecht.

To really confuse things, because I don't particularly like red, I use that scheme for Sword Brethren and higher, with the exception of the Gravis Marshal leading my Crusade, who is in full gold a la Helbrecht.

That's super cool, and totally fine. Because we are Templars and space book rules can take a hike!

That's super cool, and totally fine. Because we are Templars and space book rules can take a hike!

Exactly why I picked them - I can do "my guys" exactly how I want and still imagine them out there fighting Mankind's enemies.

Which page? Missed him.

I'm starting to doubt my eyes, now, but I was pretty sure this was a terminator captain last night.

gallery_2986_15309_585400.jpg