Late heresy Death Guard armor colors

Would late Heresy Death Guard be green after their armor was corrupted blessed by Papa Nurgle, or would it have been white with the blessed green starting to spread over?

How frowned upon would it be to have green painted Death Guard Marines for games of 30k? I have a 40k Death Guard Army and after watching a pretty cool batrep on the30kchannel where the Death Guard player used some well converted Plague Marines and Blightlords Terminators for his army I started thinking about using my collection for both 30k and 40k. I paint my Dreadnoughts in Heresy colors anyway to represent relics left over from the HH so I think theme wise it would fit okay. I was planning on painting the rest of my vehicles the same.

Brother, I hear ya.  Now this is just a personal preference, but imho, the long story short is:

30k Death Guard colours in 40k is actually awesome.  40k Death Guard colours in 30k is not good.

I hear what you're doing with your Death Guard; they're going to pull double-duty in both 30k and 40k.  What you're doing with your Dreads and Vehicles imho is inherently awesome, especially to reflect their leftover relics from the Heresy era.  And I personally feel you're best of painting your whole army that same way.

This is not a hypothetical, in case you missed it, Faeit 212 recently published this awesome 40k-era Plague Marine (from the Space "Plague" Marine Heroes Series 3 line), in HH colours:

IMG_20200429_204020.jpg

Now that's a model from the 40k range, but imho it looks better in the HH colour scheme than the 40k one.  It works, I think, for a number of reasons.  1st, Plague Marine are so recognisable on their own, they're not like most Loyalists where you can only identify them by their Chapter markings.  What other Legion can this Plague Marine be...White Scars?  Of course not.  2nd, while the 40k sickly green is indeed thematic, I actually think the HH raw ceramite look is more intimidating, like these white spectres of a lost age, very grindhouse film.

That mini was totally painted by me and I submitted it to Brother Gary of Faeit 212 fame, whom kindly published it for me.  But I wanted to show you this Proof Of Concept and that I'm totally putting money where my mouth is with this design choice, I do think it looks awesome.

So, mine aren't painted exactly in "Death Guard green." They started that way but they are extremely washed to have much more of a grim-dark look (Ak streaking enamels are amazing).

I do agree that the Heresy-era colors are much better, but.. that's just how I've started painting my army. Probably not going to repaint them now.

I actually plan on toning down the "cartoony" bits as much as I can. Regular MkIII bits look perfectly fine on the new Plague Marine bodies so a bunch of my Marines are going to have a much less cartoony aesthetic.

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

It's interesting to think about - based on what we've heard thus far in the Siege of Terra series, the traitor armies are basically already their 40k equivalents.  DG have gone through their change, World Eaters are lost to the nails, ECs will probably be totally off the deep end.  

The only real problem I could see with a 40K DG army pulling double duty in 30K as a Siege-set army is in proxies.  So long as you aren't using plague knives as power fists or blight launchers as missile launchers you should be alright.  Make it easy on your opponent to play against you.

I'm actually going down the same route. I ended up subscribing to Conquest so have a bunch of DG 40k marines, and to me, by the siege of terra they all have the blessings of nurgle.

So I'll be painting them up in 30k legion colours, the plague crawler is going to be that new fancy bombard, and they'll be quite happy in 40k too.

As stated above, as long as your models represent what they're armed with (Though myself I wouldn't mind blight launchers as ML) crack on. I guess it depends on the guys you roll with as to how much they mind. IMO as long it's a fluffy, thematic and accurate army, bring on the siege!

As an aside I'm also using the new 40k CSM marines as SoH marines (with a few head swaps/pad changes etc) to represent the fresh intake of recruits for the siege

It's interesting to think about - based on what we've heard thus far in the Siege of Terra series, the traitor armies are basically already their 40k equivalents.  DG have gone through their change, World Eaters are lost to the nails, ECs will probably be totally off the deep end.  

The only real problem I could see with a 40K DG army pulling double duty in 30K as a Siege-set army is in proxies.  So long as you aren't using plague knives as power fists or blight launchers as missile launchers you should be alright.  Make it easy on your opponent to play against you.

I complete agree with you dicebod! I'm actually having a fun time converting up the plague marines to look more like legion space marines than their 40k stinky boi counter parts. The fact that the plastic MkIII components like arms, helmets, and backpacks are all the same size as the plague marine bits is really helpful. It wont be an issue to build them with FW's heavy weapon offerings or stick a PF on them.

I must admit NS1B put the bug in my head and I repainted one of the Dark Imperium Plague Marines in the legion colors, and thought the results were outstanding. I am now in the process of having an appropriately painted legion Death Guard/40k army, haha.

I'll probably leave the "40k" units in the DG green though. I wouldn't want FBDs or PBCs in the legion colors, from a fluff perspective. I may just keep two different painting styles and play them as two vectorums on joint ops.

I complete agree with you dicebod! I'm actually having a fun time converting up the plague marines to look more like legion space marines than their 40k stinky boi counter parts. The fact that the plastic MkIII components like arms, helmets, and backpacks are all the same size as the plague marine bits is really helpful. It wont be an issue to build them with FW's heavy weapon offerings or stick a PF on them.

I must admit NS1B put the bug in my head and I repainted one of the Dark Imperium Plague Marines in the legion colors, and thought the results were outstanding. I am now in the process of having an appropriately painted legion Death Guard/40k army, haha.

I'll probably leave the "40k" units in the DG green though. I wouldn't want FBDs or PBCs in the legion colors, from a fluff perspective. I may just keep two different painting styles and play them as two vectorums on joint ops.

Can we see your conversions and painting? link to a thread or IG?