3x Castellax loadout

Imren

Whenever black book IX comes out I'm planning to order 3x Castellax with Praevian to join my AL army. But I can't decide if I go for the power blade + multimelta option, or the darkfire cannons. The mauler bolt cannons feel less attractive since banestrike ammo don't seem to be much of a perk for AL.

I see that power blades can be a good alternative to Contemptors in ZM. Also the would bring some good close combat capacity to a quite shooty AL army. But the darkfire cannons feel fluffier and with Alpharius would be quite devastating.

What do you you think? 3x Castellax is a quite an investment so I'd like to choose a type that I'd get most play and satisfaction out of.

Shouldn't this be in XXth Legion tactics ?

Right, so, since the XXth is a more-or-less shooty Legion (not by any means, but they're more inclined to it most of the time), I'd opt for the Darkfire Castellax here as well, yes.

Darkfire Cannons & Enhanced Targeting Array for that sweet re-rollable to-hit roll of 2 against your chosen preferred enemy (Note they can select Pref. Enemy Inf. / Vehicles or MC due to the Praevian) or optional Tank-Hunters (when not picking the Pref. Enemy option). 

Since you're investing that many points into them already, I'd also pick up the Banestrike Ammo for them at a measly 5 pts. per model.

Don't forget a weapon with a 24'' range on the Praevian for potential target designation (Boltgun or Combi-Weapon).

And then, since you're not only bringing a Cortex Designator but a Cortex Controller as well ... go all-out and get a single lone Castellax for your Heavy Support Slot.

Multi-Melta, twin Flamers, Power Blades & 'Paragon of Metal'.

There, now you have the best of both worlds.

• 3 weeks later...

What Gorgoff said. I have six Castellax, three of which have Darkfire Cannon and Enhanced Targetting Array. One more thing: give them twin flamers. I have played about 12 games with these guys - they wreck face every time.

Just as a point of comparison - I actually tend to avoid using Flamers on my Dark Fire Castellax - if only because those with Maulers have to be closer to be effective, so putting up that wall of flame at that juncture with that configuration tends to be a better deterrent! Their standard Boltguns are still effective enough with their BS - and helps keep their individual costs down, given the overall cost of their upgrades. 

Either way, Castellax are great!