Salamanders Smash Captain

SallyForth

I’m building a new list and I wanted a fast moving smash captain. After combing the salamanders supplement and space marine codex I think I have stumbled on a highly destructive build.

First, he’s a strength four four attacks regular space marine captain with jump pack. I’m giving him a thunder hammer for chapter solidarity purposes (UNTO THE ANVIL, BOYS). He’ll get the Vulkans Sigil relic and The Imperiums Sword warlord trait. My actual warlord is Agatone because he does much more for the army as a whole.

So for attacks, on the charge:

base(4)+shock assault(1)+Activated Vulkans Sigil (2)+Imperiums sword (1) for a total of 8 Thunder hammer attacks. If I pop the Strength of the Primarch strat, that’s another +1S on top of +1S from Imperiums sword, and 6s to wound do double damage.

That’s 14 strength. That wounds a WARHOUND TITAN on 4s....3s with Crucible of Battle. 2s if he’s near Agatones Unto The Anvil aura.

Yes, our smash captains can wound any target in the game up to and including a titan on 2s. It’s very likely that all 8 attacks land, for a damage output ceiling of 24, +3 for every 6 wound roll.

Oh and I’ll have a librarian on the field with Might of Heroes and Null Zone

A Smash Captain really should be a fire and forget missile, he’s supposed to be on his own acting as a distraction while the rest of your army does whatever you set them to. Taking Agatone means your spending 80 pts for two Thunderhammers, you can take 5 on non Characters like Primaris Sergeants. You also don’t really need Agatones Warlord Trait on him unless you take a ton of flamers.

Yeah a Smash warlord sounds great but you can also take a bunch of Veteran Intercessors. Each Veteran Intercessor on the charge with a 16 pt Thunderhammer gets the same number of base attacks at the same strength as your Smash Captain. With two squads thats 10 attacks on the charge. With your Relic, maybe on the Librarian that’s 12 attacks. Or maybe you use a Chaplain with the Salamaders unique Litany to give your units heroic intervention.

Sorry I got distracted from my main point. Don’t use the sigil on that smash captain put it closer to your unit. Try the vanilla burning sword or if you want attacks teeth of terra. You still get pretty high strength with almost as much damage while your line troops smack down the hard targets.

Thank you for your feedback, but I am definitely staying with the Thunder Hammer, like I said, for chapter solidarity. I am taking thunder hammer intercessors already...and I am using the smash captain as a missle. 2 extra attacks with Vulkans Sigil against a vulnerable back field target can mean the difference between a dead repulsor and one that can pull back and fire next turn.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Thunderhammers on Veteran Intercessors.  Really solid troop unit.  I put them in an impulsor with auto bolt rifles.  They do such a great job at just about anything. Put adrax in there too just to give him more mobility.