Varnishes for Blood Angels

Chronos1985

Brothers,

Hope you're all safe and well. I'll keep it short. Which varnishes have you all enjoyed most for your Blood Angels. I'm currently using Satin Varnish from Vallejo. I tried GW's new varnish which is Satin, and frankly made the red on my Blood Angels look amazing, but it's also risky as I've had frosting even after shaking for 3m. 

Any favorites for your boys in red? Especially for Sanguinary Guard and wanting to retain that nice gold shine? Like I said, i've liked the Vallejo, but don't love how the metals come out. 

Edited by Chronos1985

First I always do a coat or two of Gloss Varnish, It supposedly gives the best type of protection and works really well when it comes to inking and applying transfers.

The gloss always makes the reds look really deep so at that point I usually have to decide whether or not I want to keep that deep red.

In case I don't, I usually airbrush it after about 12 to 24 hours with Vallejo Matt, AK Interactive matt or Lucky Ultra-Matt. Those varnishes bring the hue back close to what it was originally. But yeah, frosting can be an issue. First let me say that with Gloss varnish, there is almost no chance when it comes to frosting, but matts are another question. I even bought a dehumidifier to minimize any chance of frosting, but still it'll happen. If you spray it any which way, straight or mixed with thinner or whatever, the chance of frosting is always there. Even if its not visible directly, if you take a model and put it up to a light, you'll always see a tiny film of white.

Its just the nature of matt varnish.

In case I do want to keep the deep red but I don't want want the glossy look, I hit it with Army Painter Anti Shine in a spraycan (the airbrush kind doesn't really work for me). What I get in the end is somewhere between matt and satin varnish, its not as flat as the other matt varnishes, but its not as glossy as satin varnish. Another thing to note is that although there is a chance for frosting if you're not careful, the chance is WAY less than regular matt varnish, and it doesn't have that tiny film of white if you put it up to a light that irked me so much.

Apologies, don't have any pictures of Sanguinary Guard, but here is one of the Custodes that I first sprayed with Vallejo gloss and afterwards with AP Anti Shine. This'll give you a good idea what SG will look like if you use this method.

gallery_86352_14355_698470.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

First I always do a coat or two of Gloss Varnish, It supposedly gives the best type of protection and works really well when it comes to inking and applying transfers.

The gloss always makes the reds look really deep so at that point I usually have to decide whether or not I want to keep that deep red.

In case I don't, I usually airbrush it after about 12 to 24 hours with Vallejo Matt, AK Interactive matt or Lucky Ultra-Matt. Those varnishes bring the hue back close to what it was originally. But yeah, frosting can be an issue. First let me say that with Gloss varnish, there is almost no chance when it comes to frosting, but matts are another question. I even bought a dehumidifier to minimize any chance of frosting, but still it'll happen. If you spray it any which way, straight or mixed with thinner or whatever, the chance of frosting is always there. Even if its not visible directly, if you take a model and put it up to a light, you'll always see a tiny film of white.

Its just the nature of matt varnish.

In case I do want to keep the deep red but I don't want want the glossy look, I hit it with Army Painter Anti Shine in a spraycan (the airbrush kind doesn't really work for me). What I get in the end is somewhere between matt and satin varnish, its not as flat as the other matt varnishes, but its not as glossy as satin varnish. Another thing to note is that although there is a chance for frosting if you're not careful, the chance is WAY less than regular matt varnish, and it doesn't have that tiny film of white if you put it up to a light that irked me so much.

Apologies, don't have any pictures of Sanguinary Guard, but here is one of the Custodes that I first sprayed with Vallejo gloss and afterwards with AP Anti Shine. This'll give you a good idea what SG will look like if you use this method.

Thanks for sharing your method. I'm wrapping up some Sanguinary Guard and will try two layers of gloss, and toy around with the matte options I have via my airbrush to achieve a more satin look.

By the way, your custodes came out great. 

If you are using an airbrush, I'd suggest you cut the gloss with airbrush thinner if you have that on hand. 50/50 works the best for me at about 25psi.

And remember to let it dry for about 12 to 24 hours, otherwise the model may have some residual moisture trapped in the gloss which may increase the chance for frosting afterwards with the matt.

I don't varnish my models. I'm kinda scared it will mess up the colours. But then I also only touch them at the base, and transport them in a magnetized metal box. :turned:

Halfords satin lacquer always does the trick for me. Nice finish, just shiny enough but not too shiny. Never (yet) had it frost on me and it is pretty durable. Cheaper than GW to boot.