Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Price Adjustment, New Releases!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,658 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Indeed it is. I would also reason that the molds require maintenance or upkeep over the years, at some point GW will want to retire a kit (not necessarily the unit in all cases) and I imagine that as they plan on replacing said kit, and it already has a low sales count, that they may increase its cost to reduce the need to upkeep it as much? This part of the business I am unfamiliar with, but I would reason should be accurate to some level of degree.
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 544 posts
If you don’t like the moaning, you don’t have to read the thread.

If you don’t like the higher prices, you don’t have to continue buying the product.

If you say someone is whining or needs to get over ‘it’, you can’t then throw your hands in the air and claim incredulity for having upset them.

Or you can, you know, let the people vent. GW are big boys and can handle themselves I think.
  • Inquisitor Eisenhorn, Reinhard, Volt and 1 other like this

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM

Please put this thread out of our misery until the prices have been confirmed?

They have been confirmed already, unfortunately. My FLGS can order stuff at the old prices until next Thursday, I’ll probably place an order before then.
  • War Angel and 01RTB01 like this

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,658 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Where at?
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,129 posts

"And the minis are easily as detailed / quality as GW"

lets be real, they look censored.gif compared to GW. grotesque faces. Say what you will about GW prices but no one makes what GW does or at their quality.

Ah yes, the famously lovely GW face sculpts. tongue.png
uh, yeah, they are.

no one else in the world has the technology to do what GW is doing with the detail on their miniatures. they're the industry leaders.

i wish they were more affordable myself and they are certaintly selling plastic minis way above cost but lets not pretend there is comparable competition out there.

No, I'm not disputing that GW isn't pretty good about model details and that their conceit is "premium sculpts at premium prices"

I'm making a comment that singling out their faces, usually the most maligned part of their sculpts, as the reason to buy them is...certainly a unique perspective. tongue.png

i don't have a problem with any of the faces they're putting out these days and i think criticism is way overblown.

Edited by Wispy, 23 May 2020 - 07:07 AM.

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM

Where at?

Northern Italy

RWJP

RWJP

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 437 posts
  • Faction: Storm Watch

Where at?

Here: https://trade.games-....com/resources/

Select: Guidance Docs > Order Forms > Price Update (UK_06_20).xlsx

Alternatively, I've put together a spreadsheet using that data that shows the price increases in terms of actual money, and percentages here: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Current Forces:

The Storm Watch - WIP Custom Space Marine Chapter

1st Atrian Rifles - WIP Astra Militarum Regiment

Ultramarines - Warhammer Conquest Subscription

Death Guard - Warhammer Conquest Subscription

ThatRedOne

ThatRedOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
I don't think getting rid of stores is the answer. I don't know if they do cost the company more than they bring in in sales, but the fact that there are so many of them (speaking about the UK here) shows prospective players that if they do invest, there will be other people to actually play the game with.

Plus the convenience of being able to pop in for something at short notice stops your interest stalling because you need some paint and won't have it for a few days.

It's been suggested that GW could partner with FLGS, but that doesn't let them control the customer experience. Speaking only from my personal experience, customer service is massively better in GW stores now, to the extent that my other half will actually go in there now. By contrast, I've been into my FLGS all of twice and I've yet to encounter the "F". The staff don't want to talk to you and are dismissive and surly. And while it shouldn't matter to the service I received, both times I was well dressed, polite, and not wasting their time.

GW have done a great job of moving the hobby away from certain unfortunate stereotypes and I personally think the improved GW stores are a big part of that.

Anyway. Price rises. Yes. Ouch.
  • Inquisitor Eisenhorn and Irbis like this

RWJP

RWJP

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 437 posts
  • Faction: Storm Watch

I don't know if they do cost the company more than they bring in in sales

GW's annual statements seem to suggest that all of their one-man stores are actually profitable. They mention that they watch their multi-man stores closely and any that aren't profitable get closed:

Our stores contributed 34% of the year's sales. We have 410 one man stores: small sites, each one staffed by only one store manager. We also have 107 multi-man stores, which are constantly reviewed to ensure they remain profitable. If not, they will be closed and probably replaced with one man stores.

Current Forces:

The Storm Watch - WIP Custom Space Marine Chapter

1st Atrian Rifles - WIP Astra Militarum Regiment

Ultramarines - Warhammer Conquest Subscription

Death Guard - Warhammer Conquest Subscription

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,147 posts
I dont think the competition argument stacks up, most people (not all though) are buying GW models to play GW games or because they have an affinity to them/the setting. I dont think GW are comparing Intercessors to German Light Infantry and thinking great we can put less optional parts in there or charge more because we can.

The stores get a lot of people in especially kids so theyre great for getting people hooked

Hopefully this is the last set of price increases for a good while. Given economic outlook especially of the UK for the next couple of years, any/many more would be liable to be counterproductive

appiah5

appiah5

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,098 posts

The 3rd edition starter set was released 23 years ago... Everything has more than doubled its price, in the meantime

No, nothing has doubled. If anything most manufacturing goods have come down in price due to improvements in efficiency and process technology. If you really want to go down that rabbit hole I can absolutely destroy your assertion here. Just let me know.

"Death before dishonor, nothing before coffee!"

gallery_60983_8363_3386.jpg

appiah5's Blood Angels

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,442 posts

I dont think the competition argument stacks up, most people (not all though) are buying GW models to play GW games or because they have an affinity to them/the setting. I dont think GW are comparing Intercessors to German Light Infantry and thinking great we can put less optional parts in there or charge more because we can.

The stores get a lot of people in especially kids so theyre great for getting people hooked

Hopefully this is the last set of price increases for a good while. Given economic outlook especially of the UK for the next couple of years, any/many more would be liable to be counterproductive

spot on GWs biggest two assests are their IP which is the best IP out there for dark gritty sci fi and their high street presence. No other table top wargame (except Warlord) has their own walk in stores, every school kid in the UK knows what warhammer is its in the cultrural eye because its regularly poked fun at in main stream media here in the UK.

• Dark Shepherd and SufficientAnonymity like this

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,092 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors

The 3rd edition starter set was released 23 years ago... Everything has more than doubled its price, in the meantime

No, nothing has doubled. If anything most manufacturing goods have come down in price due to improvements in efficiency and process technology. If you really want to go down that rabbit hole I can absolutely destroy your assertion here. Just let me know.

According to the Bank of England a £30 purchase in 1997 would be the equivalent of just over £55 in 2019 that's pretty darn close to double.

Let me know once you've "absolutely destroyed their assertion", or I'll just wait for it to be on the news.

Rik
  • Blindhamster, fire golem, Irbis and 1 other like this

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,897 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Alright folks, we've had a day and a bit for the news to percolate through the community, so I'm going to close this up.
  • Redrandy93 and Mazer Rackham like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users