Primaris and the Black Templars

nusphigor

Hello brothers!

I have been thinking of getting some primaris marines but for fluff reasons i don't want them in my Imperial Fists army, and all the other primogenitor chapters look awful to me, so i wanted to ask you guys what are your views on this kind of marines within the Black Templar chapter.

What do you think of their integration into the chapter?
What are your thoughts on their deployment on the battlefield?
How would you play an army that uses their units?

May the hand of the Primarch-Primogenitor guide your way

Edited by nusphigor

Well met brother,

I have just embarked on a Primaris crusade myself (with some Terminators sprinkled in mind!).

I think BT would take any advantage they can get, including Primaris. Doesn't make them fully paid-up members of the Codex club, they can employ them in their own way - getting up close and personal, but plenty of shooting on the way in.

In terms of battlefield usage the sky's the limit really, I've just gone with the models I like - provided you are unafraid of letting them knock some heads together in combat, pretty much anything goes!

I've got a (very nearly) Primaris-only crusade. I think that as M42 wears on, the Templars would use them more and more. Due to current availability of models, my army is still fairly shooty, but I think it's got a good bit of Templar flavour - lots of auto bolt rifle Intercessors, a few Dreadnoughts and other vehicles, minimal use of the more sneaky/tacticool units.

B&C thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/359596-fighting-company-friedrich/

IG feed: https://www.instagram.com/painting.for.my.sanity/

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

assuming primaris only: the "core" of the army should imho be a force of Intercessors with auto bolt rifles (the assault 3 version) and Aggressors. staple units. the aggressors can be overbuffed with litany of divine protection and use Emperor's will to have a very solid threat range. then you can pick and choose:

-fast alpha strike cc: incursors and invictor tactical warsuits. phobos camptain with crusader's helm. turn 1 assault doctrine charges.

-mechanized: repulsors/executioners that handle the antitank while the rest of the army finishes off enemies in cc.

-slow advance: moar aggressors, supported by eliminators/suppressors/hellblasters.

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

there are a few combinations which are really good.

whichseeker ammo (relic) + Primaris characters

Frontline commander(WL-Trait) with Aggressors + emperors will (stratagem)

Repulsor Executioner with Aurelian shroud (relic) and  divine protection (litany) will give you a very very though Shooty unit

Reroll charges(chapter tactic) + Invictors 

Dreadknought with 5++ (litany divine protection) + the core stratagem.

and of corse: Impulsor with a hammer-intercessors + devot push (stratagem)

Edited by Medjugorje

t

Repulsor Executioner with Aurelian shroud (relic) and  divine protection (litany) will give you a very very though Shooty unit

Dreadknought with 5++ (litany divine protection) + the core stratagem.

Didn't realise the Litany works on vehicles! Very cheeky.

Templars have no issues accepting Primaris lore-wise, although stealthy Vanguard marines aren't a great fit for the chapter that once refused to field artillery because it was dishonorable to shoot a foe who can't see you.

Mechanically, the total lack of decent Primaris CC units is a disappointment, but we can get good use out of most Primaris stuff on the tabletop.

While I largely agree in principle, I also would like to give a reminder that in the 4th edition Templar codex, Sword brethren veteran squads could be upgraded to infiltrate on the battlefield. 

I think most things (except for witches, pfteeh!), even vanguard can be made to fit in a Templar context. Some things obviously fit better than others though.

Well met brother,

I have just embarked on a Primaris crusade myself (with some Terminators sprinkled in mind!).

I think BT would take any advantage they can get, including Primaris. Doesn't make them fully paid-up members of the Codex club, they can employ them in their own way - getting up close and personal, but plenty of shooting on the way in.

In terms of battlefield usage the sky's the limit really, I've just gone with the models I like - provided you are unafraid of letting them knock some heads together in combat, pretty much anything goes!

When I first picked up my Templars again last year, I had been away from the game for a long time, so was initially resistant to incorporating Primaris.  It took awhile for me to realize I was coming up with fluff justifications because I was letting my inner grumpy grognard show.  Now, I'm more in line with your thinking.  Having bolter-armed Primaris isn't even that big of a deal, fluff-wise.  In the 4e codex, there's a little sidebar going on about how the Holy Bolter is the most perfect weapon, etc. etc.  I do wonder how well bringing in the Unnumbered Sons would go (could be a fun bit of fanfic to write), but raising new Primaris or crossing the Rubicon should be no problem, imo.

While I largely agree in principle, I also would like to give a reminder that in the 4th edition Templar codex, Sword brethren veteran squads could be upgraded to infiltrate on the battlefield. 

I think most things (except for witches, pfteeh!), even vanguard can be made to fit in a Templar context. Some things obviously fit better than others though.

Agreed here, as well.  I've seen a few references to the Templars eschewing indirect fire weapons, but I can't recall what (if any) official source they come from.  If someone knows offhand, I'd like to look at it.  I do know we didn't get Whirlwinds back in the day, so maybe it's in the 4e book somewhere.  As far as the Vanguard marines go, I got some because I like most of the models (looking at you, Suppressors), but was torn about integrating them because sneaking about felt un-Templar to me.  I still may do them up as Celestial Lions, but I am backing off of that assessment.

For me, it all goes back to a couple of things.  The Marshals of the crusades, zealous fellas that they are, are still Astartes commanders with centuries of battle experience, so are not going to eschew a superior tactic that complements their style.  Plus, especially in the case of Incursors, that sneaking about is actually just a really good means of getting to grips with the enemy and opening breaches in the line so your chainsword-wielding brothers can pour in.  In game terms, being able to get a turn 1 charge off fairly reliably with a unit that has a decent combat bonus for chewing up chaff units seems pretty good.  Eliminators are a tougher sell, because Templars with sniper rifles still feels a little weird to me, but maybe I'll come around on that as well.

I use Vanguard extensively in my force. Its a lot easier to get charges off when you start 9 inches away.

And Gentlemen, while artillery may be dishonorable due be being an unseen foe, my army is only unseen on the approach, I am sure they will be seen while they are beating the enemy to death in CC.

Codex wise, there is a blurb about the Templar being fans of the heavier primaris units. The larger suits allowed them to dual wield flamers and burn twice as many witches at once.

Eliminators are a tougher sell, because Templars with sniper rifles still feels a little weird to me, but maybe I'll come around on that as well.

This is why any I get will be set up with Las Fusils - slaying of characters must be done up close and personal, but I doubt BT would be above the glorious destruction of enemy armour with something that isn't a chainsword.

Agreed here, as well.  I've seen a few references to the Templars eschewing indirect fire weapons, but I can't recall what (if any) official source they come from.  If someone knows offhand, I'd like to look at it.  I do know we didn't get Whirlwinds back in the day, so maybe it's in the 4e book somewhere. 

It was in codex Armagheddon.

I know because I had just started with 40K and settled on BT for my chapter (still as codex compliant mind you) and I had just painted a devastaror squad and whirlwind, only to see that in the codex they were not allowed for us anymore.

It didn't stop me and I had great fun with 15 man squads (lots of attrition space) with a plasma cannon tearing though squads of chaos termies (no invulnerable saves at that time on termies!).

I'm wondering if the the extra symbol hanging from his tabard is crusade icon of some sort. The chaplain with the hour glass also has one. I'm guessing these are part of some sort of larger crusade with the sisters etc, and is what they've been going on about

The same symbol is on the left vambrace of the Assault Intercessor. I think that it might be the symbol of this Primaris "wave", like how the Vanguard have the Skull & Crossbones/Daggers in lieu of the standard Aquila.