Primaris and the Black Templars

nusphigor

We currently have a limitation on the vannila champion due to the Emperor Champion.

There is a risk of the same happening now with the Judicar, except we dont have a primaris champion.

Edited by Sete

So Brothers, I'm running into a bit of an issue getting info on the new primaris units. I'm a blind player and thus can't examine the pictures myself, and the info I'm gathering from our various threads is a little mixed. Would one of you mind helping me out by posting a breakdown of what each of these new units has that is making them stand out from standard Primaris? I tried asking a buddy of mine to describe them to me but he knows so little about space marines he can't tell one helmet from another.

What I'd like to know is:

Which of the previewed units come with the tabbards or robes? Only the characters? Only the Primaris Company Vets? All of them? What about the bikers?

Which of them have shields? Are they the standard rectangle type? Are the power swords shown standard power swords or relic blade sized?

Which of the units have more Templar helmets?

Are the chainswords being wielded standard or somehow upgraded as most Primaris weapons seem to be?

Normally I'd just take my questions to the boys at the local game shop, but what with the virus scare not being over we aren't currently gathering, and I'm having a harder time getting visual confirmations on things than I normally would. I'm impatient though. These units are the first Primaris to even mildly catch my attention, and I might have finally broken that dam and decided to start buying. These are exciting times we live in.

Also, any other appearance info people funnel my way will always be appreciated. I love getting little details and such. Like most BT players I'm very particular about the presentation of my army, but that's hard to gauge without the models in hand.

Which of the previewed units come with the tabards or robes? Only the characters? Only the Primaris Company Vets? All of them? What about the bikers?

The Ancient is in pretty significant robes. The Chaplain and Judicator have Chaplain-like dark robes. The sword and board guys (presumably a Captain, Lieutenant and 3 veterans) just have tabards. The Assault Intercessors, Hellfuries and bikes have no robes.

Which of them have shields? Are they the standard rectangle type? Are the power swords shown standard power swords or relic blade sized?

Shields look kinda like the Terminator Assault Squad sergeant ones. Power swords are pretty standard, with the exception of the one carried by the Judicator, which is huge and has a square end, like an executioner's greatsword.

Which of the units have more Templar helmets?

Sword and board guys, Ancient only.

Are the chainswords being wielded standard or somehow upgraded as most Primaris weapons seem to be?

Hard to tell.

The units that have tabards are: The heavy assault / veteran looking unit of 3 marines, a lieutenant version of the same, as well as what we presume is a captain version.

Then we have an ancient wielding a large icon type banner with an almost full skeleton in it. This ancient is dressed in robes over much of his armor, partly hanging from his arms, covering his legs etc. There is also a chaplain, who has at least a loin cloth as well as the special new champion like model with an executioners sword who's wearing a robe very similiar to the standard Primaris chaplain. This leaves the bikers, the assault intercessors and the gravis devestators with meltas completely robe-less.

The units with the shields are again the heavy assault / veteran unit of 3, the lieutenant and the captain. The shields are rectangle at the top like older stormshields, but the lower part is elongnated and pointed downwards, so they get bit more of a traditional shield shape. The captains shield is a bit larger, and is featuring an almost complete skeleton on the front. The power swords are decently sized. I would say standard, but also a bit larger than say the swords you'd gotten on your primaris lieutenants until now.

Again, the heavy assault units, and the lieutenant have the templar like helmets. I can't tell what the captain has, the one picture we have is too small for me to tell.

I think the chainswords being shown look fairly standard. Again, the size looks decent, but I'm not sure they've been upgraded to heavy type (like the assault intercessors pistols clearly have)

EDIT: ah yes, the ancient too has a uniqe stylization of helm. It also looks to have like iron halo like elements to it. We really need a closer look i feel.

Edited by Reinhard

Thanks to both of you. This is a huge help.

Little bummed that the basic troupes aren't rocking extra bits. But I suppose them having chainswords on their data sheet is at least a step in the right direction. The sword and board guys are very exciting though.

I'm debating just making my own when it comes to the shield veterans/HQs.

Reason being this new kit is probably monopose so that I cannot swap pauldrons out for the Templar upgrade without alot of cutting.

I'm thinking greenstuff robes, FW termie SS, Templar brethren shoulders, GK strike squad heads.

Without knowledge on how detachments will work in 9th, we shouldn't take their battlefield role into account. So while the assault intercessors bear the fast attack symbol, it may not matter for troops tax/cp collection since we are still thinking like 8th edition. The only downside could be no obsec.

Kind of a stretch but I hope for some

crusader squad support for them in some way.

Keep in mind that the studio Reivers and Incursors have the same shoulder symbol. As of 8e, it means "close support" instead of "fast attack".

Correction: it used to be called "assault" in universe. "Fast attack" was (and still is as of 8th) the game technical term and was out of universe. 

It used to be that assault (now close support) and fast attack was more or less synonymous when it came with marines, but that's no longer the case, so your point still stands.

If the shoulder pads on the Bladeguaed can be swapped. Gravy.

If they can't, I'll just get more of those sword brethren over pauldrons from red dog minis!

Just looked these up, gonna have to put these on all my vets going forward.

If the shoulder pads on the Bladeguaed can be swapped. Gravy.

If they can't, I'll just get more of those sword brethren over pauldrons from red dog minis!

Just looked these up, gonna have to put these on all my vets going forward.

They're really good. I moulded mine around an exacto blade and glued them on after painting.

If I was better at sculpting, I would go for the pauldron capes too. But I'm not.

I like these models. Will they be competitive? I imagine the melta guys will suffer the fate of the hellblasters. They get shot first. I am more excited about the melee intercessors and bikers. I see a future for them.

Take them and Hellblasters? Now your opponent has to split fire instead of focus firing.

Threat saturation is always a boon to army building.

why took another hellblaster squad if you can take 3 melta guy units ?

I like these models. Will they be competitive? I imagine the melta guys will suffer the fate of the hellblasters. They get shot first. I am more excited about the melee intercessors and bikers. I see a future for them.

Take them and Hellblasters? Now your opponent has to split fire instead of focus firing.

Threat saturation is always a boon to army building.

why took another hellblaster squad if you can take 3 melta guy units ?

Because Plasma is still good against heavy infantry which means you don't have to throw meltas at things they're less good against.

As far as I’m concerned this is a Black Templar starter box and I am stoked. To be able to zoom up the table with those bikes to harass the enemy until my close units get into combat will be great. And for the record I built a close combat intercessor squad in anticipation of our psychic awakening. Turns out I was a year or so ahead of the curve.

Now we know that the sword + stormshield Primaris units are first company, its very unlikely that they get the company veterans keyword.

Do Templars have a first company? Or are they just sword brethren? Would be cool to have the keywording forcibly changed when ran as Templars so we get access to vigilus stuff.

Maybe lose access to the standard SM stratagems they will get as a tradeoff.

Now we know that the sword + stormshield Primaris units are first company, its very unlikely that they get the company veterans keyword.

Do Templars have a first company? Or are they just sword brethren? Would be cool to have the keywording forcibly changed when ran as Templars so we get access to vigilus stuff.

Maybe lose access to the standard SM stratagems they will get as a tradeoff.

ruleswise yes. But dont forget that our fellow sword brehren (Terminators, Vanguards, Sternguards,....) cannot get the keyword too.

In other chapters they are all 1st company. 

Edited by Medjugorje

I’m excited for this. I’m thinking a normal Templar upgrade sprue, force world Templar storm shields, and some 3rd party loincloths will go a long way to really making these guys Templars. My only concern is the starter set will likely be monopose with the shoulder pads molded on like Dark Imperium, in which case I’ll need to wait until they’re released separately.